Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Vodafone newsgroups

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Vodafone newsgroups

 
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2008
G'day everyone,

Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....

Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the rest
of the planet......

Regards, Chris

"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
> site they think they have fixed their news server:
>
> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
>
> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
> appears to have been resolved.
>
> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
> experiencing any problems please let us know.
>
>
> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
greg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2008
Chris wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
>
> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the
> rest of the planet......
>
> Regards, Chris
>
> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
>> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
>> site they think they have fixed their news server:
>>
>> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
>> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
>>
>> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
>> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
>> appears to have been resolved.
>>
>> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
>> experiencing any problems please let us know.
>>
>>
>> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?
>>

>



Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to

http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2008
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 06:50:52 +1200, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>> G'day everyone,
>>
>> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
>>
>> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the
>> rest of the planet......
>>
>> Regards, Chris
>>
>> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
>>> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
>>> site they think they have fixed their news server:
>>>
>>> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
>>> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
>>>
>>> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
>>> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
>>> appears to have been resolved.
>>>
>>> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
>>> experiencing any problems please let us know.
>>>
>>>
>>> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?
>>>

>>

>
>
>Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to
>
>http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action


The Network Status page has been updated again at 5pm today.



Problem with our Newsgroup Servers 2008-07-08 17:06:14

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
There is currently an issue with our Newsgroup servers.

WHAT ARE WE DOING TO FIX IT?
The current servers need to be replaced. We are hoping to have this
back up and running within a few days.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you.

Thanks for your patience!

 
Reply With Quote
 
greg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2008
Nighthawk wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:52:06 +1200, Craig Shore
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 06:50:52 +1200, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Chris wrote:
>>>> G'day everyone,
>>>>
>>>> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
>>>>
>>>> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the
>>>> rest of the planet......
>>>>
>>>> Regards, Chris
>>>>
>>>> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
>>>>> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
>>>>> site they think they have fixed their news server:
>>>>>
>>>>> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
>>>>> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
>>>>>
>>>>> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
>>>>> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
>>>>> appears to have been resolved.
>>>>>
>>>>> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
>>>>> experiencing any problems please let us know.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?
>>>>>
>>>
>>> Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to
>>>
>>> http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action

>> The Network Status page has been updated again at 5pm today.
>>
>>
>>
>> Problem with our Newsgroup Servers 2008-07-08 17:06:14
>>
>> WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
>> There is currently an issue with our Newsgroup servers.
>>
>> WHAT ARE WE DOING TO FIX IT?
>> The current servers need to be replaced. We are hoping to have this
>> back up and running within a few days.
>>
>> We're sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you.
>>
>> Thanks for your patience!

>
> Looks like something might happen, though I would have thought it was
> a configuration issue regarding loss of feeds from outside.
>
>



It's a shame that it took several complaints to the TDR and a week and a
half for them to look further than pressing the reset button on the
newsgroup server.

If they just paid a bit more attention to their customers, acknowledged
when there was a fault, instead of ignoring common sense.

Greg
 
Reply With Quote
 
greg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2008
Peter wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> G'day everyone,
>> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
>>
>> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the rest
>> of the planet......

>
> looks like the Slingshot / ihug / Vodafone usenet system has rejoined the
> rest of the planet.
>
> It only took 2 weeks to fix!
>
>
>



It was tuff been cut off but after a few well placed complaints to the
TDR ihug got off their butt and fixed it.


Greg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net>, Mark Robinson did write:

> Sounds like marketing speak for "we fired the dude that built this server
> so now we need to buy an off the shelf replacement because we don't know
> anything about this lunix stuff".


Don't they have NNTP servers for Dimdows?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
death of newsgroups (Microsoft closing their newsgroups) Xah Lee Python 7 07-17-2010 05:31 PM
vodafone lousy service with lead walls mikedane Computer Support 5 03-02-2007 05:00 AM
Cisco VPN On Vodafone Data Card (UK) - HELP!!!! box200 Cisco 0 11-03-2006 01:25 PM
Firefox and Vodafone Billing website Adam Firefox 3 09-25-2006 11:14 PM
?OT:Help with Motorola T192 on Vodafone UK Kimball K Kinnison Computer Support 1 01-14-2004 10:21 PM



Advertisments