Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photographing Where No Electricity Source

Re: Photographing Where No Electricity Source

Mark Thomas

bugbear wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>> 1 SLR doesn't have batteries of any kind.

> What is it?
>
> BugBear

I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:

Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
you lost was the metering.

Steven Green

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
>>> need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
>>> nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
>>> cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:
>>>
>>> Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
>>> you lost was the metering.

>> yes - but IIRC no batteries at all was rare.

> There are quite a few fairly recent SLRs that work without batteries: the
> OM-1n, FM2, and FM3a all work fine without batteries.

I use a Mamiya TLR, no meter and totally mechanical.
(still saving for my first DSLR)

For a meter I just use a Kodak exposure chart and eyeball it.
I bracket a bit just in case I am off, but I imagine the film/developing may
not be cost effective in comparison to digital batteries.

Alternatively I have a Contax Aria. It takes a battery but it lasts a long
time. It is a manual focus camera and the battery is only there for the
film motor and the metering.

I am going camping for a week or so later this summer where I will be away
from power and car for the entire time. I intend to take my Mamiya on that
one.

Steve

Angus Manwaring

On 08-Jul-08 11:00:28, David J. Littleboy said
>"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
>>> need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
>>> nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
>>> cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:
>>>
>>> Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
>>> you lost was the metering.

>> yes - but IIRC no batteries at all was rare.

>There are quite a few fairly recent SLRs that work without batteries: the
>OM-1n, FM2, and FM3a all work fine without batteries.

I'm pretty sure my original Zenith used no batteries - and had no meter,
which was how I developed my awesome exposure estimatation abilities

Later ('82) my Pentax ME Super included a 125th shutter mode where no
batteries were required - as long as you used 125th!

All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html