Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Storing images

Storing images

Lew

Arne Vajh??j wrote:
> Christian Decker wrote:
>> I want to create a service where people can upload their images and
>> later on access them. I'm using Hibernate for the meta data such as
>> image title, comments and relationships with other Domain-Entities in
>> my system, but I have absolutely no clue about how to best store the
>> images. Storing them in the database would obviously be a complete
>> overkill, while storing them directly on the disk does have some
>> drawbacks as I wanted to serve the images along with the other static
>> content from a different host for caching and speed reasons.
>> Any idea on how to do this? Maybe a Content Repository like JackRabbit
>> would be fit for the job?

> If you have some database power and the pictures are not totally
> huge, then I will recommend the database solution. Much easier
> to manage.

Yeah, there is virtually nothing "untenable" about a lsd being "overkill".

--
Lew

An Open Letter to GIs in Iraq
By STAN GOFF
(US Army Retired)

They'll throw you away like a used condom when they are done.

Ask the vets who are having their benefits slashed out from
under them now.

Bushfeld and their cronies are parasites, and they are the sole
beneficiaries of the chaos you are learning to live in.

They get the money. You get the prosthetic devices,
the nightmares, and the mysterious illnesses.

Christian Decker

Hi all,

I want to create a service where people can upload their images and
later on access them. I'm using Hibernate for the meta data such as
image title, comments and relationships with other Domain-Entities in
my system, but I have absolutely no clue about how to best store the
images. Storing them in the database would obviously be a complete
overkill, while storing them directly on the disk does have some
drawbacks as I wanted to serve the images along with the other static
content from a different host for caching and speed reasons.
Any idea on how to do this? Maybe a Content Repository like JackRabbit
would be fit for the job?

Regards,
Chris

Arne Vajh°j

Christian Decker wrote:
> I want to create a service where people can upload their images and
> later on access them. I'm using Hibernate for the meta data such as
> image title, comments and relationships with other Domain-Entities in
> my system, but I have absolutely no clue about how to best store the
> images. Storing them in the database would obviously be a complete
> overkill, while storing them directly on the disk does have some
> drawbacks as I wanted to serve the images along with the other static
> content from a different host for caching and speed reasons.
> Any idea on how to do this? Maybe a Content Repository like JackRabbit
> would be fit for the job?

If you have some database power and the pictures are not totally
huge, then I will recommend the database solution. Much easier
to manage.

Arne

User Images: Storing in Files VS Storing in Database Jonathan Wood ASP .Net 1 06-02-2008 05:56 PM
storing pointer vs storing object toton C++ 11 10-13-2006 11:08 AM
Storing Images? Adam J Knight ASP .Net 8 02-05-2006 01:41 AM
Help storing and Retrieving Images asp.net using vb.net blackg ASP .Net 2 03-09-2005 11:37 PM
Storing Images while Traveling fbj Digital Photography 10 10-29-2003 06:05 PM

Advertisments