Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer version beta 0.86

ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer version beta 0.86

timinganalyzer

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce this new version of the TimingAnalyzer. The
scripting interface has been added in this version, so users can
develop scripts to draw simple and complex timing diagrams, generate
test vectors, or add new features to the program.

Also, all the currently functioning standard edition(SE) features
have been enabled so users can try these features and beta testers can
test them. All beta versions from now on will have the SE features
enabled for this purpose. This version, beta 0.86, has the SE enabled
until 9/4/08. So users can work with the SE beta versions now, and be
guaranteed a smooth transition to the final release in the fall.

Working SE Features currently include savings images in other formats
such as eps, pdf, svg, png, and gif, as also the scripting interface.
There is updated website documentation for scripting with examples,
code reviews, sample outputs, and the initial API.

Fixed auto increment bug.
Updated save so the Save-as dialog is not always displayed.
Should work with JRE1.5 or newer but expect the final version to work
with JRE1.6 or newer.

You can download the TimingAnalyzer now and read all about it at:

www.timing-diagrams.com

timinganalyzer

On Jul 7, 1:15 pm, "Pete Fraser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "timinganalyzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi All,
> > You can download the TimingAnalyzer now and read all about it at:

> You have too much faith in my abilities.
> The only download reference I could find (Beta 0.70) was a dead link.
>
> I tried editing the link in the obvious way:
>
> http://members.aol.com/linuxr2d2/ta_b86_install.jar
>
> but that didn't work either.
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

I was trying a new ftp application and corrupted the website.
Please try again and let me know if you have any problems.

-Dan

timinganalyzer

On Jul 13, 2:58 am, Antonio Pasini
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Il 07/07/2008 17.26, timinganalyzer ha scritto:
>
> > Hi All,

> > I am pleased to announce this new version of the TimingAnalyzer. The
> > scripting interface has been added in this version, so users can
> > develop scripts to draw simple and complex timing diagrams, generate
> > test vectors, or add new features to the program.

> Please take it as a constructive comment. You asked for them, here they are.
>
> And, of course, this is just my $0.02.
>
> I tried hard to use it, on a real design I'm doing now.
>
> **Please reconsider your choice of click behaviour**
>
> I second Rickman comments. I think he's right.
>
> For a Windows user, at least for me, it's so terribly annoying and
> irritating.
>
> I tried yesterday for one hour, and again this morning.
>
> I keep adding an unwanted edge just by clicking, keep missing pressing
> that pesky ESC key to deselect what I don't want...
>
> I give up.
>
> Even if I see the program has features I would need and like, it's
> simply too much irritating to use.
>
> Yes, I know there's so much things behind, the fact that's is in beta,
> etc, etc... but GUI is the *first* and *most* important thing in this
> programs! Otherwise, back to paper and pencil and hand made equations.
>
> Please change this design choice, I think a lot of people will simply
> stop using it *before* even seeing there's so much more functionality.
>
> Please add a choice for Windows users to behave as is common accepted
> practice today on Windows.
>
> In any case, looks promising, and I wish you a good success.
>
> Choice is always good.

Hello Antonio,

I am in the process of changing the user interface to be more Windows
like. I realize this is a problem and will be making changes in each
beta so it works similar to other windows programs like Visio.

In the next version, 0.87, you select objects by clicking in them,
Once selected, you click
in them again to deselect them.

> I keep adding an unwanted edge just by clicking, keep missing pressing
> that pesky ESC key to deselect what I don't want...

I thought about putting a "Add Edge" mode in so you only add edges
when this mode is selected.
What are you thoughts about this? Are there any other specific
actions you would like to see?

Thanks for the constructive criticism, even though it was all mostly
all negative, I do feel they are good points. I do agree that the
application should work like a native program on each platform
supported so I will try to make it close as possible.

Regards,
Dan

timinganalyzer

On Jul 14, 2:10 pm, Antonio Pasini
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Il 13/07/2008 16.50, timinganalyzer ha scritto:
>
> > On Jul 13, 2:58 am, Antonio Pasini
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [snip]
>

> >> Please add a choice for Windows users to behave as is common accepted
> >> practice today on Windows.

> >> In any case, looks promising, and I wish you a good success.

> >> Choice is always good.

> > Hello Antonio,

> > I am in the process of changing the user interface to be more Windows
> > like. I realize this is a problem and will be making changes in each
> > beta so it works similar to other windows programs like Visio.

> > In the next version, 0.87, you select objects by clicking in them,
> > Once selected, you click
> > in them again to deselect them.

> I'm glad you took my rant with a positive mood Wasn't meant to be
> offensive at all.
>
> Under Windows, it's also common practice to use CTRL to add or remove
> objects from a selection; when clicking on one without CTRL, all the
> above selected will be deselected, except the last one.
>
> Clicking on a void area should deselect all.
>
> > I thought about putting a "Add Edge" mode in so you only add edges
> > when this mode is selected.

> Could be useful. It happened to me to adding unwanted edges..
>
> > Thanks for the constructive criticism, even though it was all mostly
> > all negative, I do feel they are good points. I do agree that the

> To be more on constructive side, I'm reporting you that I found some
> glitches in saving images; they were saved in paths different from what
> I choose. There they were, but not were I saved them; usually in .JAR
> home dir or original source dir. Also, PNG format didn't work.
>
> Another interesting option to add later in the future could be importing
> VCD waveforms from simulators.
>
> The format is relatively easy to parse; could be useful to document
> particularly critical timings when one has an already working simulation.
>
> Thanks Dan for the opportunity to try this.

Hi Antonio,

I see what you mean about the ctrl key. This will be fixed in the
next
version. I do know about the image directory issue, and that will be
fixed in the next version as well.

It can read VCD files but I have that disabled for now until I get a
chance
to test it thoroughly. Now its limited to smaller sized VCD files but
I'm looking
at ways to speed up the file I/O, or allow the user to select a
region in time
which would load and display quickly.

Thanks for your input.
Dan