Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web page/site ?

Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web page/site ?

Oriane

Hi there,

I would like to create a "one page" Asp.Net site which resembles a Vista
gadget. That is: nothing is visible but the content on IE7 (it doesn't
matter if the solution does not work on Vista): no title, no URL, no menu on
the browser, only a "Close" button.

Do you have any solution ?

At least, is it possible to constraint the app in order that the web user
could not resize the browser windowd ?

Cheers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
iexplore.exe.

You can also spin off the application in that mode from another web page
(intranet?), if that will work. That is a bit easier, as the window.open()
call, in JavaScript, is well documented.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box! |
"Oriane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to create a "one page" Asp.Net site which resembles a Vista
> gadget. That is: nothing is visible but the content on IE7 (it doesn't
> matter if the solution does not work on Vista): no title, no URL, no menu
> on the browser, only a "Close" button.
>
> Do you have any solution ?
>
> At least, is it possible to constraint the app in order that the web user
> could not resize the browser windowd ?
>
> Cheers

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Oriane,

It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model. As
far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.
For example:

function open_win()
{
window.open("http://www.w3schools.com","_blank","toolbar=yes, location=yes,
directories=no, status=no, menubar=yes, scrollbars=yes, resizable=no,
copyhistory=yes, width=400, height=400");
}

Here is web article which also mentioned some good examples:

#Open a new window and control its appearance
http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaScrip...indowandcontro
litsappearance.htm

BTW, such client script functions cannot provide as powerful control as a
standard winform application since the permission is quite limited on
browser client.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Oriane" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web

page/site ?
>Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:57:03 +0200

>Hi there,
>
>I would like to create a "one page" Asp.Net site which resembles a Vista
>gadget. That is: nothing is visible but the content on IE7 (it doesn't
>matter if the solution does not work on Vista): no title, no URL, no menu

on
>the browser, only a "Close" button.
>
>Do you have any solution ?
>
>At least, is it possible to constraint the app in order that the web user
>could not resize the browser windowd ?
>
>Cheers

Oriane

Hi Steven,
"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Oriane,
>
> It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model.
> As
> far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
> window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.

Thanks for the link. I've tried that but there is one withdrawal I can't
explain. I make use of Ajax server pop up extender, and they don't behave as
they should in the window opened with the "open" Javascript function, which
makes this solution not relevant...

Oriane

Oriane

Hi Patrice,
"Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JavaScript windows.open ? Is this fo spoofing This is the kind of
> thing I would opuble check as it can become quite annoying.
>
> What is the overlal goal ?

Mimic an Vista gadget on XP. As far as I know, Vista gadget are much more
user friendly to show "one-page web sites" page than a browser. I'm in
charge of developing a sort of remote control on the Web, that is a small
panel page with a few buttons (on/off +/-), and the result on IE is that the
chrome is larger that the content.

Oriane

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit
dans le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
>desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
>not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
>iexplore.exe.

I didn't find anything about the "minimal mode" of IE on Google. There are a
few flags to start IE but none of them prevent the chrome to be shown.

Cheers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
parent window.

Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and serve
it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box! |
"Oriane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit
> dans le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is
>>your desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it
>>should not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set
>>on iexplore.exe.

> I didn't find anything about the "minimal mode" of IE on Google. There are
> a few flags to start IE but none of them prevent the chrome to be shown.
>
> Cheers

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Oriane,

The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
envrionment or in an intranet local domain? For intranet scenario, maybe a
rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
over the client machine.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Oriane" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web

page/site ?
>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:41:43 +0200

>Hi Steven,
>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le

message
>de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Oriane,
>>
>> It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model.
>> As
>> far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a

browser
>> window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...)

customized.
>Thanks for the link. I've tried that but there is one withdrawal I can't
>explain. I make use of Ajax server pop up extender, and they don't behave

as
>they should in the window opened with the "open" Javascript function,

which
>makes this solution not relevant...
>
>Oriane

Oriane

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply Oriane,
>
> The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
> via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
> existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
> the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
> envrionment or in an intranet local domain?

Intranet.
> For intranet scenario, maybe a
> rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
> over the client machine.

Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
has to be a light client

Oriane

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit
dans le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
> parent window.
>
> Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and
> serve it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

If I could use .NET, it would be much simpler !!