Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looks like Polaroid didn't need Ilford after all

Looks like Polaroid didn't need Ilford after all

Rich

There has been speculation on this toy for months.

from amateurphotographer magazine:

Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

Friday 4th July 2008
Chris Cheesman
Polaroid ZINC

Polaroid has confirmed that it plans to launch a digital compact
camera with a built-in printer following this week's debut of a
standalone printer using the same ZINC technology.

Amateur Photographer has learned that the, as yet, unnamed model will
go on sale in the 'fourth quarter' of this year, in time for
Christmas.

Today sees the official debut of Polaroid's pocket-sized 'inkless' 99
digital printer called PoGo (pictured). It produces 2x3in prints.

The planned digital compact is expected to feature a 16MB internal
memory, SD card storage and will be the first in a range.

'It will function as a normal digital camera if the user does not want
to instantly print photos,' said a UK spokesman.

Specification is yet to be finalised but Polaroid hinted that it may
carry a resolution of 5-million-pixels.

The camera will sport a monitor for viewing images. The 2x3in paper
will slot into the back of the camera body.

Dev/Null

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There has been speculation on this toy for months.
>
> from amateurphotographer magazine:
>
> Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

Except people didn't want a new crap camera from Polaroid, they wanted a
source of film for their existing instant print cameras. The agreement with
Ilford was to market film packs.

Rich

On Jul 7, 1:20*pm, TRoss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 22:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >There has been speculation on this toy for months.

> >from amateurphotographer magazine:

> >Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

> >Friday 4th July 2008
> >Chris Cheesman
> >Polaroid ZINC

> >Polaroid has confirmed that it plans to launch a digital compact
> >camera with a built-in printer following this week's debut of a
> >standalone printer using the same ZINC technology.

> >Amateur Photographer has learned that the, as yet, unnamed model will
> >go on sale in the 'fourth quarter' of this year, in time for
> >Christmas.

> This is the same Chris Cheesman of Amateur Photographer who told us
> Vivitar will be making a new 35mm SLR for Kodak. Someone otter tell
> him the name of the company/technology is ZINK ... as in Zero INK.
>
> I'm sure Polaroid is working on a camera/printer combo - there were
> articles about it in Gizmodo and engadget the first part of 2007.
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/30/z...rs-to-your-han...
>
> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-c...ink-camera-has...
>
> TR

Probably a smart move by Polaroid, you can't keep going by selling
bargain-basement P&S's, just ask Kodak.

John Turco

Rich wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> Probably a smart move by Polaroid, you can't keep going by selling
> bargain-basement P&S's, just ask Kodak.

Hello, Rich:

Oh, is that so? >You< seem to be thriving, by widely distributing
your "bargain-basement" trolls!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>