Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What are my rights to old photos?

What are my rights to old photos?

none

This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting it here
because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.

Friends of ours called me with some surprise to say that while they were at
a local chain restaurant they noticed some old photos on the wall near their
table. When they took a closer look they discovered that they were photos
from my old high school, some of which were of plays which were done while I
was there. While I'm not sure yet, I'm concerned that some of these may be
photos that I took while I was there. Not only was I in a few of these
plays, but I also took many photos during informal and dress rehearsals. In
some cases the school asked if they could use some of my work for things
like posters and the yearbooks, but in no cases did I ever turn over the
negatives to them for their ownership. If I find that the high school gave
this restaurant permission to use some reproduced photos for which I still
own the negatives of (yes, this is before the days of digital, I'm sorry),
do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

nospam

In article <Uaeck.166$0V1.104@trndny01>, none <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting it here
> because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.

actually, you might try misc.legal, since this issue has more to do
with copyrights than it does photography, so i set the followup
accordingly.

based on your description below, it sounds like it's worth at least
finding out what your options are. i'd suggest you contact a qualified
attorney who deals with these types of cases. most will offer a free
initial consultation, where you can find out if it's worth pursuing.

legal advice from a newsgroup is worth what you pay for it (arguably
less), since a qualified lawyer will tell you call one and discuss
specifics and a non-lawyer will probably get some things (if not a lot
of things) wrong.

> Friends of ours called me with some surprise to say that while they were at
> a local chain restaurant they noticed some old photos on the wall near their
> table. When they took a closer look they discovered that they were photos
> from my old high school, some of which were of plays which were done while I
> was there. While I'm not sure yet, I'm concerned that some of these may be
> photos that I took while I was there. Not only was I in a few of these
> plays, but I also took many photos during informal and dress rehearsals. In
> some cases the school asked if they could use some of my work for things
> like posters and the yearbooks, but in no cases did I ever turn over the
> negatives to them for their ownership. If I find that the high school gave
> this restaurant permission to use some reproduced photos for which I still
> own the negatives of (yes, this is before the days of digital, I'm sorry),
> do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

Paul Furman

John McWilliams wrote:
> [rpd added back.]
>
> nospam wrote:
>> In article <Uaeck.166$0V1.104@trndny01>, none <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting
>>> it here because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.

>> actually, you might try misc.legal, ...

If the photog kept the negatives that doesn't sound like 'work for hire'
and the default is that the photog owns the copyright. I doubt it's
worth suing anyone but you could certainly approach the restaurant with
this claim and ask for credit and or payment. They may not take it
seriously but the copyright ownership seems pretty simple with negatives
in hand. Maybe offer a better selection of interesting prints to give
them a reason to not just be upset that they ended up buying copyright
material illegally because without substantial money not much is going
to happen here. It might be interesting to track down how the photos got
there.

(not a lawyer

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Chris H

In message <sAfck.9915$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Furman
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>John McWilliams wrote:
>> [rpd added back.]
>> nospam wrote:

When you do PLEASE state which country. I know local law but not foreign
stuff.

>>> actually, you might try misc.legal, ...

>If the photog kept the negatives that doesn't sound like 'work for
>hire' and the default is that the photog owns the copyright. I doubt
>it's worth suing anyone but you could certainly approach the restaurant
>with this claim and ask for credit and or payment.

Or a bit of free food... Especially as you are likely to tell others
about your pictures and they will get a little increased trade anyway.

>They may not take it seriously but the copyright ownership seems pretty
>simple with negatives in hand. Maybe offer a better selection of
>interesting prints

Good idea. Turn it positive. Use them as a gallery.. Prints some cards
so any diners can find about you and your other prints. BTW if this is
a local restaurant you may be able to sell prints to others who were at
the school or in the plays

>to give them a reason to not just be upset that they ended up buying
>copyright material illegally because without substantial money not much
>is going to happen here. It might be interesting to track down how the
>photos got there.

I agree the route might make an interesting storey work *WITH* the
restaurant for local press item. "Photographer discovers archive
pictures in ******* restaurant. "

Nice piece of local history advertising for restaurant and you. Gloss
over any breach of copyright as you are all friends now. Gives
restaurant a theme, local history, more diners and give them a
commission on selling any of the prints.

Turn breach of copyright into something productive for all

Otherwise see press and have reporter on hand when you demand back the
pictures that are in breach of copyright etc and give them some bad
publicity locally.

But do make sure you have the "disputed" prints displayed either in a
"gallery" else where in town or on your web site so that when people
see one of them in the press with the story they want to see others.

You win again and without courts or solicitors.

Matti Vuori

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Uaeck.166$0V1.104@trndny01:
I'm
> sorry), do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

a) Depends on where you live and what the local laws say about it. You
know, for example Sweden and China may have different copyright laws.

b) Depends on what you really have agreed with the high school. Negatives
and their ownership have nothing to do with anything.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://www.kotiposti.net/~xmvuori/index-e.htm>

clandestin_écureuil

none wrote:
> This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting it here
> because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.
>
> Friends of ours called me with some surprise to say that while they were at
> a local chain restaurant they noticed some old photos on the wall near their
> table. When they took a closer look they discovered that they were photos
> from my old high school, some of which were of plays which were done while I
> was there. While I'm not sure yet, I'm concerned that some of these may be
> photos that I took while I was there. Not only was I in a few of these
> plays, but I also took many photos during informal and dress rehearsals. In
> some cases the school asked if they could use some of my work for things
> like posters and the yearbooks, but in no cases did I ever turn over the
> negatives to them for their ownership. If I find that the high school gave
> this restaurant permission to use some reproduced photos for which I still
> own the negatives of (yes, this is before the days of digital, I'm sorry),
> do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

Wouldn't the best thing to be to first examine the photos, see whether you
still actually have negatives if they are yours and then make a decision?
It isn't as though you are losing huge amounts in royalties, in fact it all
sounds a rather eager and a little petty. There may be a great many other
people with legitimate photos of your high school taken while you were a
student. It would be amazing if there were no other photos, particularly of
plays. People like to record such things.

I do not know what privacy laws apply where you live, I am only familiar
with Australia and parts of Western Europe, but is a high school regarded
as public property for the purposes of taking photographs? It might be the
case that in order to assert copyright you will need to provide an original
authority?

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com

tony cooper

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:12:49 +1000, clandestin_écureuil
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>none wrote:
>> This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting it here
>> because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.
>>
>> Friends of ours called me with some surprise to say that while they were at
>> a local chain restaurant they noticed some old photos on the wall near their
>> table. When they took a closer look they discovered that they were photos
>> from my old high school, some of which were of plays which were done while I
>> was there. While I'm not sure yet, I'm concerned that some of these may be
>> photos that I took while I was there.

>Wouldn't the best thing to be to first examine the photos, see whether you
>still actually have negatives if they are yours and then make a decision?
>It isn't as though you are losing huge amounts in royalties, in fact it all
>sounds a rather eager and a little petty.

A *little* petty? Sounds a lot petty to me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed) merica>,
Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Matti Vuori wrote:
>> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Uaeck.166$0V1.104@trndny01:
>> I'm
>>> sorry), do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

>> a) Depends on where you live and what the local laws say about it.
>>You know, for example Sweden and China may have different copyright
>>laws.

>Copyright? China? I can't believe I saw these two words used in the
>same sentence!! Are you some kinda comedian? That's funny.

China has copyright laws... they just respect international law in the
same way the US does.

Fortunately with China their wavering only tends to be things like
copyright and IP not illegally invading other countries and starting
wars

richard

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:26:53 -0700, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[rpd added back.]
>
>nospam wrote:
>> In article <Uaeck.166$0V1.104@trndny01>, none <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> This is actually a copyright and ownership question, but I'm posting it here
>>> because this is the most heavily trafficked photo newsgroup.

>> actually, you might try misc.legal, since this issue has more to do
>> with copyrights than it does photography, so i set the followup
>> accordingly.

>Well, that's plain wrong. X-posting is a better way, but sending it off
>to a group unknown and unused by 99.6% of the folks here is uninformed.
>
>> based on your description below, it sounds like it's worth at least
>> finding out what your options are. i'd suggest you contact a qualified
>> attorney who deals with these types of cases. most will offer a free
>> initial consultation, where you can find out if it's worth pursuing.
>>
>> legal advice from a newsgroup is worth what you pay for it (arguably
>> less), since a qualified lawyer will tell you call one and discuss
>> specifics and a non-lawyer will probably get some things (if not a lot
>> of things) wrong.
>>
>>> Friends of ours called me with some surprise to say that while they were at
>>> a local chain restaurant they noticed some old photos on the wall near their
>>> table. When they took a closer look they discovered that they were photos
>>> from my old high school, some of which were of plays which were done while I
>>> was there. While I'm not sure yet, I'm concerned that some of these may be
>>> photos that I took while I was there. Not only was I in a few of these
>>> plays, but I also took many photos during informal and dress rehearsals. In
>>> some cases the school asked if they could use some of my work for things
>>> like posters and the yearbooks, but in no cases did I ever turn over the
>>> negatives to them for their ownership. If I find that the high school gave
>>> this restaurant permission to use some reproduced photos for which I still
>>> own the negatives of (yes, this is before the days of digital, I'm sorry),
>>> do I have any rights as the original holder of these images?

The photographer owns the copyright. Period. Or does he?
In this case, permission was granted to publish in posters and a
yearbook. NOT to be distributed publicly otherwise. That could
possibly be a breach of contract.

Were there others also doing the same thing? Could be the work of one
of them as well.

What you should do is print one of those photos and compare it to the
one posted. Then ask the owner of that poster how they obtained it. It
might be that the school just gave them away after their use.

Unless money changed hands for that poster, you probably don't have
much of a case. As no real written contract was signed, you just might
have to live with the flattery and ask the owner to post your name on
it as the photographer.

new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
WTB: Old 8mm or old photo cameras Apkesh Digital Photography 1 12-24-2003 08:57 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments