Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > No restore points?

No restore points?

XS11E

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is
> turned off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?

OK, it's fixed. After swapping the MB back to the original HP board
and doing a recovery I had failures of the Hauppauge card in Vista 32
as well so... I put the good ASUS MB back in and restored Vista 64
Ultimate from an Acronis Image. I checked restore points and found
that apparently Acronis doesn't turn on system restore? It's on now
but that explains why my restore points were gone, they were never
there, the previous Vista Ultimate 64 was also an Acronis restore!

Since the image was made before the MSFT updates, the Hauppauge card
worked fine, the updates that I got today were new ones, different from
the ones that I installed before so maybe MSFT fixed the problem?
Anyway, the system is working now, I can watch TV on my computer and
I'll be quick to remove any updates if I have any additional problems.

Just thought I'd let you know....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson

Acronis doesn't do anything with the state of your system
restore. It makes an image of whatever is there at the
time. If system restore is on Acronis leaves it on. If
system restore is off Acronis leaves it off.

XS11E wrote:
> XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is
>> turned off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?

> OK, it's fixed. After swapping the MB back to the original HP board
> and doing a recovery I had failures of the Hauppauge card in Vista 32
> as well so... I put the good ASUS MB back in and restored Vista 64
> Ultimate from an Acronis Image. I checked restore points and found
> that apparently Acronis doesn't turn on system restore? It's on now
> but that explains why my restore points were gone, they were never
> there, the previous Vista Ultimate 64 was also an Acronis restore!
>
> Since the image was made before the MSFT updates, the Hauppauge card
> worked fine, the updates that I got today were new ones, different from
> the ones that I installed before so maybe MSFT fixed the problem?
> Anyway, the system is working now, I can watch TV on my computer and
> I'll be quick to remove any updates if I have any additional problems.
>
> Just thought I'd let you know....

XS11E

Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Acronis doesn't do anything with the state of your system
> restore. It makes an image of whatever is there at the
> time. If system restore is on Acronis leaves it on. If
> system restore is off Acronis leaves it off.

That's what I thought, obviously I was wrong...

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson

I have been using Acronis for over 2 years and to date it
has never altered my system restore settings. The images
have always had the same settings as the original. So, I
seriously doubt Acronis is altering your settings either.

XS11E wrote:
> Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Acronis doesn't do anything with the state of your system
>> restore. It makes an image of whatever is there at the
>> time. If system restore is on Acronis leaves it on. If
>> system restore is off Acronis leaves it off.

> That's what I thought, obviously I was wrong...

XS11E

Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been using Acronis for over 2 years and to date it
> has never altered my system restore settings. The images
> have always had the same settings as the original. So, I
> seriously doubt Acronis is altering your settings either.

I seldome doubt what's already been proven.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson

If you really think Acronis is altering your system settings
then you should contact Accronis Tech support and discuss it
with them. But, you really haven't proven anything; you
have only made an assumption without any hard evidence to
substantiate your assumption.

XS11E wrote:
> Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Acronis for over 2 years and to date it
>> has never altered my system restore settings. The images
>> have always had the same settings as the original. So, I
>> seriously doubt Acronis is altering your settings either.

> I seldome doubt what's already been proven.

XS11E

Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But, you really haven't proven anything; you have only made an
> assumption without any hard evidence to substantiate your
> assumption.

You've not been paying attention, have you?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson

And you haven't replicated the symptom in a controlled
environment. You made an assumption which doesn't prove
anything!

If you start crying 'the sky is falling' then everyone is
supposed to believe you and take your word for it?

XS11E wrote:
> Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> But, you really haven't proven anything; you have only made an
>> assumption without any hard evidence to substantiate your
>> assumption.

> You've not been paying attention, have you?

XS11E

Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And you haven't replicated the symptom in a controlled
> environment. You made an assumption which doesn't prove
> anything!

I've made no assumption, I'd established sufficient proof of what I've
said. What you believe is of no consequence to anyone.

End of conversation, go demonstrate your lack of reading skills and
comprehension elsewhere, OK?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson

As I stated before, you have not proved anything!