Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Boot ???????

Dual Boot ???????

MadMax75th

Hey,
I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
"+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
Max

PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
they are supposed to work just fine together.

--
MadMax75th
MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Have a read about VistaBootPRO.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"MadMax75th" wrote:

> Hey,
> I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
> XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
> the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
> get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
> "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
> happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
> to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
> allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
> Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
> Max
>
> PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
> they are supposed to work just fine together.
>

> --
> MadMax75th
> MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Bobby Johnson

VistaBootPro doesn't work on any version of XP. Read the
information!

Mick Murphy wrote:
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> Have a read about VistaBootPRO.

Bobby Johnson

Oops!!

I guess I'm the one that didn't read far enough!!

Mick Murphy wrote:
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> Have a read about VistaBootPRO.

MadMax75th

Will this work when I do not have VISTA? I am using XP64 and XP32 .
Thank YOu,
Max

--
MadMax75th
MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018

http://forums.techarena.in

Charlie Russel - MVP

See my blog from 2005...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

This assumes you actually installed the XP 32-bit partition, however, rather
than plugged one in that was installed on a different computer. That will
almost never work well, since it needs to be installed to the hardware it's
actually being used on.

A better solution if you simply need access to a 32-bit version of XP from
XP x64 on an occasional basis, or for a specific task/application is to use
a virtual machine to run XP 32-bit. See
https://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/ar.../29/88280.aspx for details.
That assumes Virtual Server, since the Virtual PC version for 64-bit wasn't
out yet, but the same basic solution works well for Virtual PC as well. And
Virtual PC is probably a better solution for most XP users.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"MadMax75th" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hey,
> I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
> XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
> the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
> get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
> "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
> happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
> to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
> allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
> Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
> Max
>
> PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
> they are supposed to work just fine together.
>

> --
> MadMax75th
> MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Tony Sperling

Just curious - would a 'Repair Install' to both systems work?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> See my blog from 2005...
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
>
> This assumes you actually installed the XP 32-bit partition, however,

rather
> than plugged one in that was installed on a different computer. That will
> almost never work well, since it needs to be installed to the hardware

it's
> actually being used on.
>
> A better solution if you simply need access to a 32-bit version of XP from
> XP x64 on an occasional basis, or for a specific task/application is to

use
> a virtual machine to run XP 32-bit. See
> https://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/ar.../29/88280.aspx for

details.
> That assumes Virtual Server, since the Virtual PC version for 64-bit

wasn't
> out yet, but the same basic solution works well for Virtual PC as well.

And
> Virtual PC is probably a better solution for most XP users.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "MadMax75th" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hey,
> > I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
> > XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
> > the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
> > get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
> > "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
> > happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
> > to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
> > allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
> > Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
> > Max
> >
> > PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
> > they are supposed to work just fine together.
> >

> > --
> > MadMax75th
> > MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Colin Barnhorst

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious - would a 'Repair Install' to both systems work?
>

> Tony. . .

It would be way overkill. See:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
Especially the Repair option in the Wrong Order paragraph. That should be
enough.

thecreator

Hi Max,

BootIt NG will dual-boot both Drives for you.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

BootIT NG can create a seperate FAT partition on an NTFS Drive and it
can be hidden.

--
thecreator

"MadMax75th" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hey,
> I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
> XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
> the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
> get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
> "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
> happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
> to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
> allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
> Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
> Max
>
> PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
> they are supposed to work just fine together.
>

> --
> MadMax75th
> MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Tony Sperling

Yes, true enough, although I see no paragraph concerning 'wrong order
repairs' in that link (Charlies Blog). . ?

But I had certainly visualized repairing in the right order. Repairing the
XP version (after FDISK'ing and making that partition unbootable) would
presumeably make it impossible to boot the machine from HD at all?

Then repairing XP x64, would put everything back with the addition? Or???

The obvious stumbling block, of course, is that initially you'll have two
active boot-sectors and dual MBR's on different drives. I can see that there
is no apparent reason why this should be corrected by a dual repair - but, I
can also not see any apparent reason why it might not!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...