Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 2GB xD card in Fuji FinePix F10?

2GB xD card in Fuji FinePix F10?

Tony Sivori

Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb card in
the F10, and if so did it work?

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

Blinky the Shark

Tony Sivori wrote:

> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb card in
> the F10, and if so did it work?

Top line:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

David J Taylor

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Tony Sivori wrote:
>
>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb
>> card in the F10, and if so did it work?

> Top line:
>
> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

Middle xD column heading - what's "2GMB". So much for how well that
information has been proof-read!

David

Blinky the Shark

David J Taylor wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Tony Sivori wrote:
>>
>>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb
>>> card in the F10, and if so did it work?

>> Top line:
>>
>> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

> Middle xD column heading - what's "2GMB". So much for how well that
> information has been proof-read!

That's two gigamegabytes. It's not available everywhere, and damn, is it
expensive!

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Top line:
>>>
>>> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

>> Middle xD column heading - what's "2GMB". So much for how well that
>> information has been proof-read!

> That's two gigamegabytes. It's not available everywhere, and damn,
> is it expensive!

<G>

David

Tony Sivori

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:02:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Tony Sivori wrote:
>
>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb card
>> in the F10, and if so did it work?

> Top line:
>
> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

Nice find, Blinky. I see that it will take a 2 GB xD card in type M, M+,
and H.

Prior to posting I tried to help myself with a Google web search (no luck
on a usenet search, either). What I got was a fair example of the decay of
the usefulness of Google web search results.

http://tinyurl.com/6378gq

Most results were vendors and individuals selling F10s and xD cards.

A few of the sellers implied that the 2 GB card worked with the F10. But
most of those were in the UK, so I was concerned that the U.S. F10 might
be a different version. Worse, there were nonsense results like this one:

http://how-to-upgrade.com/dsp_memory.cfm?model_id=53025

[BEGIN nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]

How to Upgrade Your Fuji Film FinePix F10

According to industry reports, doubling the amount of RAM (memory) in your
Fuji Film FinePix F10 could improve your computer performance by 50%.

How Can Adding Memory Improve My Fuji Film FinePix F10 Performance?

Improving your performance means your computer will be able to run
multiple programs simultaneously. Say goodbye to running only one program
at a time and hello to multi-tasking! Now you can leave your email program
open as well as Microsoft Word, Quicken, and still surf the web! All you
have to do is just toggle back and forth between all the different
programs as you please. Best of all, it won't freeze up your computer as
you do it if you have the extra memory!

Plus, Increased Speed!

More memory will also result in a faster startup of your computer. No more
waiting the two or three minutes for your computer to boot up. Have you
ever just wanted to quickly look something up on the web, or just check
your email but didn't want to take the time to wait forever for your
machine to start up? I know I have, and it is frustrating that you paid so
much for your Fuji Film but can't use it for such simple things. Again,
the leading benchmark testing companies say your machine will start
approximately 33% faster just by doubling the memory

[END nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]

So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

There were also the old reviews of the F10, back from when it was a new
model.

The first search result from a Fuji company web page is about 75 links
down the page, and it is a link to a pdf of the F10 user manual.

--

Tony Sivori wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:02:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Tony Sivori wrote:
>>
>>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb
>>> card in the F10, and if so did it work?

>> Top line:
>>
>> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...d/f/index.html

> Nice find, Blinky. I see that it will take a 2 GB xD card in type M, M+,
> and H.

I have a couple of Fujis -- an S7000 bridge and an A820 compact. So I
knew where to look.

> Prior to posting I tried to help myself with a Google web search (no
> luck on a usenet search, either). What I got was a fair example of the
> decay of the usefulness of Google web search results.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6378gq
>
> Most results were vendors and individuals selling F10s and xD cards.

Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and the
Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads (you can
easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
search with these negations in the search

-ebay -amazon

That helps a bit.

If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
vanilla and M and H:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

It's from 2006, but I'm not aware of any new breakthroughs in xD
technology.

> A few of the sellers implied that the 2 GB card worked with the F10. But
> most of those were in the UK, so I was concerned that the U.S. F10 might
> be a different version. Worse, there were nonsense results like this
> one:

<snip hype>

> [END nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]
>
> So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
> Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
yourself on the dating sites?

--

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:55:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Tony Sivori wrote:
>
> Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and
> the Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads
> (you can

I don't mind their sponsored links - at least not as long as they stay
clearly marked, off to the right and above the actual search results in a
yellow box.

> easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
> search with these negations in the search
>
> -ebay -amazon
>
> That helps a bit.

Trying that, the number one result is still a vendor. After a very quick
skim of the results, it looks like about 50% are still vendors, just not
ebay and amazon. On the good side, relevant results do rank higher.

> If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
> vanilla and M and H:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

That is interesting. My current card is a 1 GB H type. Circuit City has 2
GB M+ cards (which claim 50% faster writes than plain M type) on sale this
week for $30. If I can find the time, I think I'll pick up one.

>> So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
>> Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

> But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
> yourself on the dating sites?

If you didn't lie about yourself, you might not need the porn.

As for myself, for some strange reason after telling them I am very tall,
extremely handsome, and quite wealthy, I kept getting stood up on dates.
When I send them email asking then why, I always got some variation of:
"you weren't where you said you'd be, instead there was just some short,
average guy in cheap clothes".

Now I just tell the truth, and include a photo. It is much more
efficient. No one I'd want ever answers.

If you do want to lie, here is an example from someone who seems to have
much practice:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/cle/628259611.html

If that doesn't work, here's some nice porn for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUm6cgLbYY

--

Tony Sivori wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:55:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Tony Sivori wrote:
>>
>> Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and
>> the Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads
>> (you can

> I don't mind their sponsored links - at least not as long as they stay
> clearly marked, off to the right and above the actual search results in a
> yellow box.
>
>> easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
>> search with these negations in the search
>>
>> -ebay -amazon
>>
>> That helps a bit.

> Trying that, the number one result is still a vendor. After a very quick
> skim of the results, it looks like about 50% are still vendors, just not
> ebay and amazon. On the good side, relevant results do rank higher.

Yeah, ebay and amazon filters only work on ebay and amazon.

But I've done searches here where - at least for the first ten or so pages
of hits - *most* of the results were amazon and ebay hits. In that
situation, those negations make a significant difference. All depends on
the nature of the search.

>> If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
>> vanilla and M and H:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

> That is interesting. My current card is a 1 GB H type. Circuit City has
> 2 GB M+ cards (which claim 50% faster writes than plain M type) on sale
> this week for $30. If I can find the time, I think I'll pick up one.

That's a good price? I haven't looked at xDs in quite a while, and I saw
2GB SDs for $12 at my favorite electronic toy store Friday. Granted, they
weren't "high speed". I have a pair of those from when they were packaged
two for $22.

>>> So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
>>> Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

>> But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
>> yourself on the dating sites?

> If you didn't lie about yourself, you might not need the porn.

Good point.

> As for myself, for some strange reason after telling them I am very
> tall, extremely handsome, and quite wealthy, I kept getting stood up on
> dates. When I send them email asking then why, I always got some
> variation of: "you weren't where you said you'd be, instead there was
> just some short, average guy in cheap clothes".

Short average guys in cheap clothes, like fat bottomed girls, make the
rockin' world go 'round. Come to think of it, I'll bet those were all fat
bottomed girls that stood you up.

> Now I just tell the truth, and include a photo. It is much more
> efficient. No one I'd want ever answers.
>
> If you do want to lie, here is an example from someone who seems to have
> much practice:
>
> http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/cle/628259611.html

Harf! "By this time you'll be thinking that I'm just like you, poor
and smelly."

--

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:42:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> That's a good price? I haven't looked at xDs in quite a while, and I
> saw 2GB SDs for $12 at my favorite electronic toy store Friday. Granted,
> they weren't "high speed". I have a pair of those from when they were
> packaged two for $22.

Yep, xD is still substantially more expensive than other card types. It's
not often I'll let myself be locked in by proprietary hardware, but I just
couldn't pass up the fantastic low light capability and battery life of
the F10. It's been a good tool, and a nice toy.

> Short average guys in cheap clothes, like fat bottomed girls, make the
> rockin' world go 'round. Come to think of it, I'll bet those were all
> fat bottomed girls that stood you up.

Ah, all kidding aside, my last girlfriend was very hot. At 22, she was
less than half my age. Sometimes fortune smiles.

She became rather high maintenance in every way except for the one where I
wanted her to be high maintenance (sex). So things fell apart. I'm sure
she found another horny middle aged man in no time at all.