Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > QOS VOIP - Hosted IP PBX Provider

QOS VOIP - Hosted IP PBX Provider

pilotnine@gmail.com

Hi,

Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
on router, and am wondering if this will help. Hosted provider is
using MGCP and g.721 compression. The T1 line is mostly idle and used
very little for anything other than web surfing and phone calls.T1
line is error free and IP PBX provider checked and claim nothing is
wrong on their end.

Does anyone have a sample QOS configuration that may work? or point me
to the right direction where I may obtain
more information.

IP hosted PBX provider -----Internet Cloud -----Cisco 1720---
Firewall-------Switch---SIP IP phones..

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ENTBASE-M), Version
12.3(T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 10-Aug-05 19:07 by dchih

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks!

Bill

bill the kid

On Jul 4, 9:48 am, "headsetadapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> configure QoS on the router, as well as on your switches, as well as confirm
> the configuration on the provider side. Here is a great document on all
> aspects of QoS on Cisco devices (it's "best practices" for Quality of
> Service).
>
> In general, you must configure QoS on all your devices - the router, LAN
> switches, phones. For example, if you configured QoS on the router, but your
> LAN switch strips QoS marking, your QoS will not work. Or if your phone
> sends other information, than router expects. Here is a list of what you
> should do:
>
> 1. On the Router configure Priority Queuing (page 185)
> 2. On the Router configure Traffic Shaping for the voice (pages 206-215)
> based on number of calls you expect.
> 3. On the switch(es) configure CoS trust (pick the section in the menu
> depending on model of your switch)
> 4. Confirm with the provider, what DSCP values do they expect.
>
> Also, since you have a firewall between your LAN and the router, things may
> become more complicated, since firewalls (except the latest code of Cisco
> ASA) do not understand and do not conform the QoS settings. So, you may need
> to re-classify all voice traffic at the router.
>
> Also, if you don't feel comfortable with doing all this stuff yourself, I
> would advice you to get a consultant, who will do all this changes for you.
> Believe me, it will be faster and cheaper.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike
> CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
> CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
> ------
> Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapte r.com
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi,

> > Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
> > I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
> > clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
> > on router, and am wondering if this will help. Hosted provider is
> > using MGCP and g.721 compression. The T1 line is mostly idle and used
> > very little for anything other than web surfing and phone calls.T1
> > line is error free and IP PBX provider checked and claim nothing is
> > wrong on their end.

> > Does anyone have a sample QOS configuration that may work? or point me
> > to the right direction where I may obtain
> > more information.

> > IP hosted PBX provider -----Internet Cloud -----Cisco 1720---
> > Firewall-------Switch---SIP IP phones..

> > Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ENTBASE-M), Version
> > 12.3(T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
> > Technical Support:http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
> > Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
> > Compiled Wed 10-Aug-05 19:07 by dchih

> > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have a URL or the author of the
mentioned doc - "Here is a great document on all
aspects of QoS on Cisco devices (it's "best practices" for Quality of
Service). "

Thanks!

Bill

John Osmon

: Hi,

: Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
: I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
: clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
: on router, and am wondering if this will help.

Don't forget -- QOS on your 1720 only queues things on the egress of
your network. Your provider has to provide queuing for the ingress.

A better solution is to buy a bigger pipe, but that isn't always
an economical solution.

I sell a hosted PBX product. We try to make sure we also sell the
Internet access so that we can control packet flow to the customer
premise. It helps us eliminate a number of the quality issues that
other hosted companies run into.

We also keep all of our VOIP gear in a single /24, so that customers can
prioritize packets in our direction based on IP address. A lot of cheap
equipment allows you to priority-queue things based on IP addresses.
(Actiontec ADSL equipment comes to mind...)

An old-school Cisco template for priority queueing would look like:
!
interface Serial0
priority-group 1
!
access-list 112 permit ip any <voiop-ip-block> <mask>
!
priority-list 1 protocol ip high list 112

This template is likely to work on your 1720 -- but doesn't use the
newer modular QOS mechanisms, so is likely to draw ire from many
directions.