Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > xp won't let me install canon powershot s30 drivers.

xp won't let me install canon powershot s30 drivers.

mike

I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
MS updates. It works fine.

MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.

I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
on this machine.

After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.

When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
And what do I do about it?

The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
and know how to use it."

With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
downloading jpg files.

Thanks, mike

Casual Observer

Are you logged in as a user with administrator rights when you try to install the S30 software?

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:yohbk.224$wa1.146@trndny07...
[...]

Bob Williams

mike wrote:
> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
> MS updates. It works fine.
>
> MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
>
> I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
> on this machine.
>
> After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
> web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
> to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
> Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
>
> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
> And what do I do about it?
>
> The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
> and know how to use it."
>
> With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
> USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
> downloading jpg files.
>
> Thanks, mike

Perhaps the S30 driver came out before Win Xp.
When Xp first came out there were a lot of hardware drivers that
wouldn't work with it. I am told that the same thing is happening with
Win Vista Home Ed.
You could check with Canon to see if they updated the S30 driver to work
with Xp, but I would guess they did not.
Bob Williams

BerkshireBill

On Jul 4, 12:10 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
> MS updates. It works fine.

Canon USA has a pub on this issue. http://tiny.cc/ERP28

Bill

David J Taylor

dwight wrote:
[]
> By the way... I run XPSP2 and am fanatical about updates.

[]

> dwight

You should be running SP3, then! <G>

David

mike

Casual Observer wrote:
> Are you logged in as a user with administrator rights when you try to install the S30 software?

YES

> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:yohbk.224$wa1.146@trndny07...
> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
> MS updates. It works fine.
>
> MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
>
> I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
> on this machine.
>
> After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
> web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
> to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
> Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
>
> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
> And what do I do about it?
>
> The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
> and know how to use it."
>
> With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
> USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
> downloading jpg files.
>
> Thanks, mike

mike

Bob Williams wrote:
> mike wrote:
>> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
>> MS updates. It works fine.
>>
>> MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
>>
>> I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
>> on this machine.
>>
>> After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
>> web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
>> to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
>> Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
>>
>> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
>> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
>> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
>> And what do I do about it?
>>
>> The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
>> and know how to use it."
>>
>> With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
>> USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
>> downloading jpg files.
>>
>> Thanks, mike

> Perhaps the S30 driver came out before Win Xp.
> When Xp first came out there were a lot of hardware drivers that
> wouldn't work with it. I am told that the same thing is happening with
> Win Vista Home Ed.
> You could check with Canon to see if they updated the S30 driver to work
> with Xp, but I would guess they did not.
> Bob Williams

The S30 driver claims to be XP compatible and is working fin on my
NON_UPDATED xp. This is the latest driver.

mike

dwight wrote:

> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
>> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
>> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
>> And what do I do about it?

> Are you using the new WAI driver released this past May 26th? (ver. 3.9.0)

yes
and it works fine on my non-updated xpsp2

> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...2&modelid=7489
>

> By the way... I run XPSP2 and am fanatical about updates. Have never had
> any problems with computer or software, so I don't understand why you're
> having problems. Are you running some sort of registry defender? It does
> sound very much like your problems are security related.
>
> dwight

mike

BerkshireBill wrote:
> On Jul 4, 12:10 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
>> MS updates. It works fine.
>>

> Canon USA has a pub on this issue. http://tiny.cc/ERP28
>
> Bill

Read that. It appears to relate to programs that USE
the canon driver.
I'm still trying to INSTALL the canon driver.

I cloned my hard drive and uninstalled zonealarm, mcafee virus scanner,
spybot search and destroy. Still won't install the driver. I don't have
any problem editing the registry. Other programs have installed fine,
except for that instance with the glidepoint touchpad. I'm a member of
the administrators group, but even tried logging in as administrator...no
help.

The program files get copied and I can see them in the destination
directory while the error message is up. When I cancel the error
box, the files disappear.

This appears to be a 16-bit driver with a thunk problem.
The Cirque page alludes to the fact that MS did something to close
a security hole to "legacy" programs. Their solution was not to fix the
installer, but to create a .reg file.
I have no idea how to approach the problem for the Canon driver.

Casual Observer

Can you post the exact error message you receive?