Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which 19" LCD Monitor?

Which 19" LCD Monitor?

Nicolaas Hawkins

At about the end of January 2009 I shall be looking to replace my 17" AOC
CRT monitor with a 19" LCD unit. At the present time I have little
knowledge and no practical experience w.r.t. LCD monitors.

My budget for this exercise will be $400, absolute.

I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
which I really do not much care for anyway.

Having done a certain amount of homework, I have concluded that my current
best options are the Samsung Syncmaster 943b or the Viewsonic VA926. Both
are 5:4 aspect ratio. Unless there are compelling reasons to not do so
(e.g., something vastly superior coming along in the meantime), my
inclination is to go with the Samsung unit.

I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
there are other things I should perhaps consider.

Thanks in advance.

--
- Nicolaas

impossible

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1p4hr6af0uyva$(E-Mail Removed)...
> At about the end of January 2009 I shall be looking to replace my 17" AOC
> CRT monitor with a 19" LCD unit. At the present time I have little
> knowledge and no practical experience w.r.t. LCD monitors.
>
> My budget for this exercise will be $400, absolute.
>
> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
> which I really do not much care for anyway.
>
> Having done a certain amount of homework, I have concluded that my current
> best options are the Samsung Syncmaster 943b or the Viewsonic VA926. Both
> are 5:4 aspect ratio. Unless there are compelling reasons to not do so
> (e.g., something vastly superior coming along in the meantime), my
> inclination is to go with the Samsung unit.
>
> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --

Have a look at some of the more thoughtful reviews on the web.

http://tinyurl.com/655zjd

Comparative reviews like those from X-bit labs are best, because they
clearly explain the methodology they use to rate the monitors. Just be
prepared to work with slightly different model numbers for products sold in
NZ.

Squiggle

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> At about the end of January 2009 I shall be looking to replace my 17" AOC
> CRT monitor with a 19" LCD unit. At the present time I have little
> knowledge and no practical experience w.r.t. LCD monitors.
>
> My budget for this exercise will be $400, absolute.
>
> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
> which I really do not much care for anyway.
>
> Having done a certain amount of homework, I have concluded that my current
> best options are the Samsung Syncmaster 943b or the Viewsonic VA926. Both
> are 5:4 aspect ratio. Unless there are compelling reasons to not do so
> (e.g., something vastly superior coming along in the meantime), my
> inclination is to go with the Samsung unit.
>
> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What do you intend to do with the monitor?
General web surfing, office documents?
Anything for which better than average colour rendition would be required?
Would you ever want to rotate the monitor to potrait orientation? can be
handy for editting documents

Also look at the other features you want/need.
Speakers in monitors tend to be shite, but if all you need is basic
sound are okay and save desk real estate compared to external speakers.
USB ports in LCD monotors come in damn handy, I wish i had realised how
handy when i got my LCD (which does not have them)

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 12:46:21 +1200, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:486d72e1$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> At about the end of January 2009 I shall be looking to replace my 17" AOC
>> CRT monitor with a 19" LCD unit. At the present time I have little
>> knowledge and no practical experience w.r.t. LCD monitors.
>>
>> My budget for this exercise will be $400, absolute.
>>
>> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
>> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
>> which I really do not much care for anyway.
>>
>> Having done a certain amount of homework, I have concluded that my current
>> best options are the Samsung Syncmaster 943b or the Viewsonic VA926. Both
>> are 5:4 aspect ratio. Unless there are compelling reasons to not do so
>> (e.g., something vastly superior coming along in the meantime), my
>> inclination is to go with the Samsung unit.
>>
>> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
>> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
>> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> What do you intend to do with the monitor?

Apart from the obvious, you mean? :-\

> General web surfing,

yes

> office documents?

yes

> Anything for which better than average colour rendition would be required?

Working with/on photographs and some spot colour, but no need to colour
profile for a printer.

> Would you ever want to rotate the monitor to potrait orientation? can be
> handy for editting documents

Possibly for typesetting but never needed so far.

> Also look at the other features you want/need.
> Speakers in monitors tend to be shite, but if all you need is basic
> sound are okay and save desk real estate compared to external speakers.

I have a good external sound system, and not on the desk.

> USB ports in LCD monotors come in damn handy, I wish i had realised how
> handy when i got my LCD (which does not have them)

Could be useful but I already have a 4-port USB hub on my desk.

Thanks for the input.

--
- Nic.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:31:31 GMT, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <newsbebk.183032$TT4.77597@attbi_s22>:

> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1p4hr6af0uyva$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At about the end of January 2009 I shall be looking to replace my 17" AOC
>> CRT monitor with a 19" LCD unit. At the present time I have little
>> knowledge and no practical experience w.r.t. LCD monitors.
>>
>> My budget for this exercise will be $400, absolute.
>>
>> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
>> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
>> which I really do not much care for anyway.
>>
>> Having done a certain amount of homework, I have concluded that my current
>> best options are the Samsung Syncmaster 943b or the Viewsonic VA926. Both
>> are 5:4 aspect ratio. Unless there are compelling reasons to not do so
>> (e.g., something vastly superior coming along in the meantime), my
>> inclination is to go with the Samsung unit.
>>
>> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
>> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
>> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> --

> Have a look at some of the more thoughtful reviews on the web.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/655zjd
>
> Comparative reviews like those from X-bit labs are best, because they
> clearly explain the methodology they use to rate the monitors. Just be
> prepared to work with slightly different model numbers for products sold in
> NZ.

Thank you, I shall go looky.

--
- Nic.

Enkidu

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
> which I really do not much care for anyway.

Yer mad, Nic. Within 18months everything, films, DVDs, TV and web sites
will be in wide format. Go with the wide screen.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:36:46 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> I do not do games at all and do not watch but 3-4 movies a year, so I
>> would take a lot of convincing to go to wide screen 14;9 OR 16:10 format -
>> which I really do not much care for anyway.
>>

> Yer mad, Nic. Within 18months everything, films, DVDs, TV and web sites
> will be in wide format. Go with the wide screen.

I'm not so sure about that, Cliff ....

As I've already said, I don't do films, DVDs or TV on the computer, so no
need of widescreen for those - and I need to sideways-scroll maybe one in
twelve websites I visit and I can live with that. I can't see it changing
much in the predictable future, though YMMV.

A lot of what else I do concerns text editing, typesetting and document
layout mainly in A-4 portrait format, so I am perfectly comfortable with
the 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio.

I do not much care for the 14:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios aesthetically, even
though they more closely approximate the golden ratio - added to which I
would lose an appreciable amount of vertical resolution that, for the
types of things I do, I feel I can ill afford to lose.

--
- Nic.

Tony

> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have one of these, its a little bigger than your 19inch but still
within budget and is a fantastic monitor. The wide screen allows you to
have two a4 size documents side by side which can be very handy.

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=360125

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:00:19 +1200, ChrisOD <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On 2008-07-05, Nicolaas Hawkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:36:46 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> Yer mad, Nic. Within 18months everything, films, DVDs, TV and web sites
>>> will be in wide format. Go with the wide screen.

>> I'm not so sure about that, Cliff ....
>>
>> As I've already said, I don't do films, DVDs or TV on the computer, so no
>> need of widescreen for those - and I need to sideways-scroll maybe one in
>> twelve websites I visit and I can live with that. I can't see it changing
>> much in the predictable future, though YMMV.
>>
>> A lot of what else I do concerns text editing, typesetting and document
>> layout mainly in A-4 portrait format, so I am perfectly comfortable with
>> the 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio.
>>
>> I do not much care for the 14:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios aesthetically, even
>> though they more closely approximate the golden ratio - added to which I
>> would lose an appreciable amount of vertical resolution that, for the
>> types of things I do, I feel I can ill afford to lose.
>>

> Though you realise that a number of widescreen monitors can be rotated to be
> portrait mode? Thus a widescreen monitor rotated may be even better for your
> needs!
>
> Chris

Thank you for your input, Chris.

Yes, I have considered that aspect [sorry!] - but the inescapable fact is
that I would lose an appreciable amount of resolution in the 'narrow'
dimension, whether the monitor be rotated to portrait or landscape mode.

Perhaps my use of the term 'vertical' resolution above was misleading when
what I really meant was 'narrow-dimension' resolution.

--
- Nic.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 12:56:44 +1200, Tony
<(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote in
<news:newscache$ly7k3k$szb$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>> I would be interested to hear from others _with practical experience_ in
>> this area as to whether I am pointed in the right direction or whether
>> there are other things I should perhaps consider.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I have one of these, its a little bigger than your 19inch but still
> within budget and is a fantastic monitor. The wide screen allows you to
> have two a4 size documents side by side which can be very handy.
>
> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=360125

Hello, Tony ...

- thanks for the link to the Viewsonic 22 inch wide screen monitor. Nice
thought. Two points, however:

1. I have not yet seen a compelling reason _for my purposes_ to go to wide
screen - albeit that the unit that you point me to is indeed within my
budget (by about the thickness of its anti-glare coating ) and its
native resolution is 1680x1050 which would give me back the resolution I
would lose going from 1024 to 900 in the narrow dimension, plus a little
bit ... which, however, leads to ...

2. My video card (NVidia GEForce FX5200 128Mb) supports a maximum
resolution of 1600x1200, so could not support it.

--
- Nic.