Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Browser survey

Re: Browser survey

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 4:23*am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
> >Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable for a
> >corporation does not rely on accessibility.

> Evidence, please.

Barbie.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-07-03, Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Jul 3, 4:23*am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
>> Travis Newbury wrote:
>> >Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable for a
>> >corporation does not rely on accessibility.

>> Evidence, please.

> Barbie.com

On what grounds do you state that it it is "_most_ profitable"?

Author:

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 1:23*pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Evidence, please.

> > Barbie.com

> * * On what grounds do you state that it it is "_most_ profitable"?

I said "Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable
for a
corporation does not rely on accessibility. "

Meaning, accessibility is not REQUIRED (or relied upon) to be most
profitable. I was not stating what WOULD make it most profitable,
only that accessibility does not guarantee profitability.

Barbie.com displays that. It is not accessible at all, it is fixed
width, but, it continues to make money both directly ( direct web site
sales) and indirectly (motivating young girls to purchase Barbie and
accessories, advertising). If you were involved in Barbie.com you
would have been able to watch it evolve to its present state. Trying
different things over the years.

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 5:49*pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> Are you by any chance aware that I worked at Mattel and was
> part of the meetings where it was decided what Barbie.com.
> Mattel.com, etc. should look like? *

So you are to blame?

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 5:49*pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>
> >Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

> >> Evidence, please.

> >Barbie.com

> Are you by any chance aware that I worked at Mattel and was
> part of the meetings where it was decided what Barbie.com.
> Mattell.com, etc. should look like? *

That's not what your resume says....
"Mattel - 02-2000 to 07-2001; I was the project manager / engineer for
Diva Starz, Mattel's best selling new toy for the year 2000. I managed
a sixteen person, two city design team that brought the product from
the original concept at high-volume manufacturing in China."

No mention of the web on your resume at all except the"bit of web
authoring" you did for Pacific Power. But no matter, you can still
attest to the fact that it is NOT the same website today as it was in
2001, 7 years ago. (which kinda of proves thank you very much)

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 6:21*pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> I am holding off on describing exactly how Mattel makes
> such decisions until you dig yourself into a deeper hole.
> Dilbert sugercoats corporate decision-making. *The reality
> is far, far stupider.

Why don't you indulge us on your 7 year old knowledge

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 6:54*pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> > Why don't you indulge us on your 7 year old knowledge

> You imagine that the decision-making methods have changed?

I am sure they have.

> Or that I haven't done any consulting there recently?

This is usenet, you can claim anything you like, I neither believe or
disbelieve what people say

> Or that I don't spend time with any current employees
> who tell me how things are going?

Again, this is usenet.

> Please, go on telling us about the millions spent on
> research that went into barbie.com -- The imaginings of
> someone who has never set foot inside Mattel are far more
> entertaining than an eye-witness account from someone who
> has been there and observed how such decisions are made.

Millions? Hardly, tens of thousands on research for the website. I
am sure they have. They are no different than any other fortune 500
corporation.

Travis Newbury

On Jul 3, 6:52*pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> >That's not what your resume says....

> I don't, as a rule, put things in me resume where I was a
> witness to someone else either accomplishing something or
> crashing and burning. *

So you weren't involved, you knew a friend of a friend that was
involved...

> I probably should remove that. *It's true, but it has the
> potential problem of someone thinking that I did the part
> that was done by others. *

Or that you did very little. That's how I read it (please don't take
that as a barb, it was not intended that way)

> No it doesn't. *A website that changes regularly could be the
> result of your alleged marketin geniuses refining it again
> and again, or it could be the result of the website project
> being assigned to a new idiot every few months. *

The former is my point.

Travis Newbury

On Jul 4, 5:34*am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> >Tens of thousands on research for the [barbie.com] website. *I
> >am sure they have.

> Keep digging that hole, but remember, you are guessing, while
> I know because I have personal experience.
> >They are no different than any other fortune 500 corporation.

> Unlike you, I cannot comment on other fortune 500 corporations
> where I do not have personal experience as to how much they spend
> on website research.

You do know Mattel is on the list of fortune 500 companies right? I
think I need to pass you the shovel...

Travis Newbury

On Jul 4, 5:38*am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> Have you ever considered asking people what their personal
> experiences were rather than telling them?

Sorry I made the assumption your online resume you advertise in your
signature (which I notice is now gone) would be accurate.

Re: Browser survey Travis Newbury HTML 10 07-05-2008 02:49 AM
Re: Browser survey Travis Newbury HTML 1 07-03-2008 10:15 AM
Re: Browser survey Travis Newbury HTML 14 06-30-2008 07:20 PM
Re: Browser survey +mrcakey HTML 0 06-30-2008 05:54 PM
Re: Browser survey Chris F.A. Johnson HTML 0 06-28-2008 06:43 PM

Advertisments