Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Verification code images

Re: Verification code images

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
> Gotta love these things, **** poor images that can't be read:
> http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
> Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more complex.
Definitely a PITA.
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Chris Lim

On Jul 3, 1:48*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
>
> > Gotta love these things, **** poor images that can't be read:
> >http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
> > Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

> Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more complex.
> Definitely a PITA.

They are definitely a pain. Surely it can't be that hard to make
something easily recognisable by a human but not a computer? There are
heaps of optical illusions that show how great the brain is seeing
patterns which a computer would have trouble recognising (or is the
cracking software really that sophisticated now?)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Chris Lim" typed:
> On Jul 3, 1:48 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
>>
>>> Gotta love these things, **** poor images that can't be read:
>>> http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
>>> Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

>> Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more
>> complex. Definitely a PITA.

> They are definitely a pain. Surely it can't be that hard to make
> something easily recognisable by a human but not a computer?

I've seen one which had line drawings of animals and you had to say what
animal it was. However, brute-force cracking would probably sort that one
out pronto. As soon as "they" what set of animals you're using it's probably
easier to crack than the one in the URL above.

> There are
> heaps of optical illusions that show how great the brain is seeing
> patterns which a computer would have trouble recognising (or is the
> cracking software really that sophisticated now?)

That's an interesting idea, I'm sure someone will be working on it. However,
I would have thought that image processing software is far better at finding
things in images than the human brain.

I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.

Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
from it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Ross

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
>used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
>correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.
>
>Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
>from it.
>
>Cheers,

I'd like to see some questions like....
A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
have if one was removed?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:35:25 +1200, Ross <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
>>used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
>>correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.
>>
>>Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
>>from it.
>>
>>Cheers,

> I'd like to see some questions like....
> A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
> have if one was removed?

Would the answer "one less that it would otherwise have had" be accepted?

--
- Nic.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ross" typed:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where
>> CAPTCHAs are used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to
>> be answered correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite
>> quickly too.
>>
>> Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some
>> real money from it.
>>
>> Cheers,

> I'd like to see some questions like....
> A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
> have if one was removed?

LOL, I think that they're more likely to go the Sesame Street route, you
know, "One of these things just doesn't belong here...."

Damn, did I just give away a fortune?
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Google Add URL Verification code Broken n3td3v Computer Security 0 12-29-2009 10:53 PM
Code verification ddg_linux HTML 6 08-24-2008 10:39 AM
VHDL - Code verification - links bluetoons@web.de VHDL 0 03-01-2007 04:53 PM
Code Coverage in Verification..IMP Abs VHDL 6 03-07-2006 11:03 AM
C++ code verification Yossi Kreinin C++ 3 09-05-2004 10:50 AM

Advertisments