Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context menu?

How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context menu?

Tom

What is the procedure to ADD an additional item to the WinXP Home SP2 JPEG
photo thumbnail view right-click menu, openwith submenu?

When I open a Windows explorer window in my JPEG photo directory, my
Windows explorer is set to View -> Thumbnails -> Arrange Icon by Name.

When I right click on a JPEG thumbnail in Windows explorer, my OpenWith
menu currently has only four items
OpenWith->Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Irfanview, Paint.Net, Paint (and
then Choose Program).

I'm confused how to ADD a fifth item to that right click JPEG photo windows
context menu. (Note: I originally asked this because I was hoping to
replace the WP&FV with that fifth program but apparently you can't get rid
of WP&FV from the right click JPEG context menu).

How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context sub
menu?

Nervous Nick

On Jul 2, 5:02*pm, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the procedure to ADD an additional item to the WinXP Home SP2 JPEG
> photo thumbnail view right-click menu, openwith submenu?
>
> When I open a Windows explorer window in my JPEG photo directory, my
> Windows explorer is set to View -> Thumbnails -> Arrange Icon by Name.
>
> When I right click on a JPEG thumbnail in Windows explorer, my OpenWith
> menu currently has only four items
> OpenWith->Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Irfanview, Paint.Net, Paint (and
> then Choose Program).
>
> I'm confused how to ADD a fifth item to that right click JPEG photo windows
> context menu. (Note: I originally asked this because I was hoping to
> replace the WP&FV with that fifth program but apparently you can't get rid
> of WP&FV from the right click JPEG context menu).
>
> How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context sub
> menu?

I have no idea how to remove a program from that list. It would be
interesting to know. But I am pretty sure you can add a program to it
thus:

Open with>Choose program>browse

then select your program

Then afterward the program will appear in the Choose program window
and you won't have to browse for it.

It's up to you whether you want to select the "Always use this program
to open this kind of file" option.

HTH.

--
YOP...

Sachin Garg

newsVSak.12031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the procedure to ADD an additional item to the WinXP Home SP2 JPEG
> photo thumbnail view right-click menu, openwith submenu?
>
> When I open a Windows explorer window in my JPEG photo directory, my
> Windows explorer is set to View -> Thumbnails -> Arrange Icon by Name.
>
> When I right click on a JPEG thumbnail in Windows explorer, my OpenWith
> menu currently has only four items
> OpenWith->Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Irfanview, Paint.Net, Paint (and
> then Choose Program).
>
> I'm confused how to ADD a fifth item to that right click JPEG photo
> windows
> context menu. (Note: I originally asked this because I was hoping to
> replace the WP&FV with that fifth program but apparently you can't get rid
> of WP&FV from the right click JPEG context menu).
>
> How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context sub
> menu?

The method 'Nervous Nick" mentioned is definitely the easier the way to do
this, but there is a more powerful (and not so complicated) way which lets
you add new items directly besides the 'open' on the right click menu.

#. Open My Computer (or Explorer).

#. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

#. Choose your file type, JPEG (Note that jpg and jpeg are two separate
items so you might want to edit both).

#. Click Advanced (you might have to click 'Restore' before the Advanced
option becomes available).

#. Click 'New' and add any number of new items which deal with your favorite
applications, these items will appear besides the usual 'Open' and 'Open
with' on the right click sub-menu.

Thought you would like to not have to go into 'Open with' everytime

Hope this helps,
Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

Paul Furman

Sachin Garg wrote:

> #. Open My Computer (or Explorer).
>
> #. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
>
> #. Choose your file type,

That's XP or 2000.
Vista lacks some of those simple controls.

Sachin Garg

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fOZak.9447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sachin Garg wrote:
>>
>> #. Open My Computer (or Explorer).
>>
>> #. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
>>
>> #. Choose your file type,

> That's XP or 2000.
> Vista lacks some of those simple controls.

It should be in there somewhere

I could find 'some' of those controls in Vista under Control Panel ->
Default Programs, it allows changing default application but doesn't has
option to add new menu items.

Maybe someone else can fill us on this?

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

Vagabond

Tom wrote:
> What is the procedure to ADD an additional item to the WinXP Home SP2 JPEG
> photo thumbnail view right-click menu, openwith submenu?
>
> When I open a Windows explorer window in my JPEG photo directory, my
> Windows explorer is set to View -> Thumbnails -> Arrange Icon by Name.
>
> When I right click on a JPEG thumbnail in Windows explorer, my OpenWith
> menu currently has only four items
> OpenWith->Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Irfanview, Paint.Net, Paint (and
> then Choose Program).
>
> I'm confused how to ADD a fifth item to that right click JPEG photo windows
> context menu. (Note: I originally asked this because I was hoping to
> replace the WP&FV with that fifth program but apparently you can't get rid
> of WP&FV from the right click JPEG context menu).
>
> How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context sub
> menu?

Go to start menu/run, type in regedit and press return

Then goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Find the file extension you want to change, i.e., .jpeg and open its
"OpenWithList". Either add a new key or delete/modify an existing key.

Close the registry editor.
Reboot computer.

Done.

Be warned, making errors while editing the registry can cause major
headaches. Back all your data and the registry up before starting. Probably
simpler to just set the "Always open with" option.

Regards

Tony

tony cooper

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:41:01 +0530, "Sachin Garg"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:fOZak.9447$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sachin Garg wrote:
>>>
>>> #. Open My Computer (or Explorer).
>>>
>>> #. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
>>>
>>> #. Choose your file type,

>> That's XP or 2000.
>> Vista lacks some of those simple controls.

>It should be in there somewhere
>
>I could find 'some' of those controls in Vista under Control Panel ->
>Default Programs, it allows changing default application but doesn't has
>option to add new menu items.
>
>Maybe someone else can fill us on this?

The OP stated in his original posts that he is using Windows XP. I
doubt if anyone else cares since most people are able to easily figure
out how to do this on their own. The OP has been given several
methods to do what he wants, and could avoid using Explorer to open
..jpgs for editing, but seems determined to use a method that is not
working for him.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida