Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intermittent Wireless Access

Intermittent Wireless Access

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO laptop with an internal LAN-Express IEEE Wireless LAN
Adapter that has been working well up until 2 days ago.
We use a Belkin Wireless Router that is connected to a DSL modem.

The problem is in a nutshell is that when I am able to get a signal from the
router, this is very unreliable and intermittent, often not lasting more than
5-10 minutes at a time before dropping the signal, stating that the Wireless
Network Connection is not available.
A matter of anything from 1 minute to a few hours later however without any
intervention from myself, the signal and the Wireless access is restored.
The distance between the laptop and the router is about 18 inches with very
little in the way to reduce the signal.

I have tried various different websites and solutions including disabling,
turning off the Adapter, turning on and re-enabling the Adapter & also
removing and reinstalling the drivers for the Adapter without any long
lasting success.

Incidentally, we have another almost identical laptop that has not shown any
of these problems.

Internet Access via the normal Local Area Connection is fine and when the
router configuration is checked, both of the laptops are shown as DHCP
clients which makes things even more strange as that would imply that the
router can see my laptop but not the other way around........

Can anyone help??

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

WLW

Hi, Canu -

You may want to look at:

http://www.ezine.com/QandA/NoWireless.shtml

HTH,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Canu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony VAIO laptop with an internal LAN-Express IEEE Wireless LAN
> Adapter that has been working well up until 2 days ago.
> We use a Belkin Wireless Router that is connected to a DSL modem.
>
> The problem is in a nutshell is that when I am able to get a signal from
> the
> router, this is very unreliable and intermittent, often not lasting more
> than
> 5-10 minutes at a time before dropping the signal, stating that the
> Wireless
> Network Connection is not available.
> A matter of anything from 1 minute to a few hours later however without
> any
> intervention from myself, the signal and the Wireless access is restored.
> The distance between the laptop and the router is about 18 inches with
> very
> little in the way to reduce the signal.
>
> I have tried various different websites and solutions including disabling,
> turning off the Adapter, turning on and re-enabling the Adapter & also
> removing and reinstalling the drivers for the Adapter without any long
> lasting success.
>
> Incidentally, we have another almost identical laptop that has not shown
> any
> of these problems.
>
> Internet Access via the normal Local Area Connection is fine and when the
> router configuration is checked, both of the laptops are shown as DHCP
> clients which makes things even more strange as that would imply that the
> router can see my laptop but not the other way around........
>
> Can anyone help??
>
> Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks!!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=

Hi William,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I really appreciate them.

I tried the various fixes (including the "Black Magic" fixes) and
unfortunately, I still don't have wireless connectivity.
I'm definitely coming to the conclusion that the problem is hardware rather
than software related as I haven't been able to get a signal from the router
since Thursday and I also tried a ping test today without any success.

I think that I will take a trip to the local PC repair centre to see if they
can shed any light on this.

Thanks again.