Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Circular references are not supported

Circular references are not supported

Dan C Douglas

I have a user control, and I would like to create another instance of the
user control inside the same user control.

I am doing this because the user control has a datagrid, and in the datagrid
I instantiate a reference to a new instance of the same ascx file that I am
currently on and place it in the datagrid. I am recursing through records
and only create a new instance if sub-records exist for the record I am
currently on in the datagrid.

What do you guys suggest as a workaround? I'd like to code it to allow an
unlimited amount of sub levels to be shown in the hierarchy.

Any ideas on how to get around this issue ?

Thanks,

Dan

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

I'd suggest you create a custom control instead of a user control. They are
more sophisticated (and complex) so they allow for more advanced features
like you're trying to implement.
Here's more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ebControls.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ercontrols.asp