Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit Cisco VPN Client

64-bit Cisco VPN Client

VistaNewbie

Thanks, Colin! Thanks Charlie!

This is the first thread I have ever started in this newsgroup. I cannot
recall ever getting such enthusiastic help from any other newsgroup. The
replies here encourage users to try new solutions to problems without all
the sanctimony one often gets in other newsgroups. It is sincerely
appreciated.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's the other side of the coin I was describing. Those are the
> supported editions. MS is not going to list an edition for which Product
> Support Services does not provide support. MS is careful to advise users
> that only self-support options are available when using VPC with home
> editions. Self-support, of course, means user groups, the Knowledgebase,
> books, peers, experience, help files, etc.
>
> MS has never supported the home editions of either XP or Vista but VPC has
> always run on all of them and the home editions have always run as guests.
> MS does not comment on any Linux distributions that run in VPC either but
> over a thousand do.
>
> VPC is free and easily uninstalled. I know of no downside to trying it.
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was referring to the Product Specifications for the guest OS listed on
>>Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 webpage
>>(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...overview.mspx).
>>It specifically mentions the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions
>>of Vista as the requirements for Virtual PC 2007. The Virtual PC 2003
>>page also mentions only those three versions of Vista. Home Premium is
>>excluded from both.
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you are referring to the advisory message when you install VPC on a
>>> Home edition, skip it. It is just advisory. And "not supported" does
>>> NOT mean "won't run". What "support" means is phone and email support
>>> from MS. VPC runs fine on the Vista home editions. The next time you
>>> see the advisory, check the box to "don't show this message again."
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

"VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Colin! Thanks Charlie!
>
> This is the first thread I have ever started in this newsgroup. I cannot
> recall ever getting such enthusiastic help from any other newsgroup. The
> replies here encourage users to try new solutions to problems without all
> the sanctimony one often gets in other newsgroups. It is sincerely
> appreciated.

You're very welcome. Enjoy!

And keep in mind that microsoft.public.virtualpc newsgroup.

VistaNewbie

OK... I ran a quick test before reverting to Vista 64. I downloaded the
32-bit Virtual PC and installed it and proceeded to Install Win XP Pro
(32-bit). No problems so far, except for a nervous mouse and sound that
breaks up like a bad cell phone connection.

I am ready to reset my notebook to its original factory settings, i.e. Vista
Home Premium (64-bit). Is the correct choice then to download the 64-bit
Virtual PC Setup program, install it, then install Win XP Pro (32-bit) as I
did with my test above?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks, Colin! Thanks Charlie!
>>
>> This is the first thread I have ever started in this newsgroup. I cannot
>> recall ever getting such enthusiastic help from any other newsgroup. The
>> replies here encourage users to try new solutions to problems without all
>> the sanctimony one often gets in other newsgroups. It is sincerely
>> appreciated.
>>

> You're very welcome. Enjoy!
>
> And keep in mind that microsoft.public.virtualpc newsgroup.

Jane C

"VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK... I ran a quick test before reverting to Vista 64. I downloaded the
> 32-bit Virtual PC and installed it and proceeded to Install Win XP Pro
> (32-bit). No problems so far, except for a nervous mouse and sound that
> breaks up like a bad cell phone connection.
>
> I am ready to reset my notebook to its original factory settings, i.e.
> Vista Home Premium (64-bit). Is the correct choice then to download the
> 64-bit Virtual PC Setup program, install it, then install Win XP Pro
> (32-bit) as I did with my test above?

Yes

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Colin Barnhorst

"VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK... I ran a quick test before reverting to Vista 64. I downloaded the
> 32-bit Virtual PC and installed it and proceeded to Install Win XP Pro
> (32-bit). No problems so far, except for a nervous mouse and sound that
> breaks up like a bad cell phone connection.
>
> I am ready to reset my notebook to its original factory settings, i.e.
> Vista Home Premium (64-bit). Is the correct choice then to download the
> 64-bit Virtual PC Setup program, install it, then install Win XP Pro
> (32-bit) as I did with my test above?
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks, Colin! Thanks Charlie!
>>>
>>> This is the first thread I have ever started in this newsgroup. I
>>> cannot recall ever getting such enthusiastic help from any other
>>> newsgroup. The replies here encourage users to try new solutions to
>>> problems without all the sanctimony one often gets in other newsgroups.
>>> It is sincerely appreciated.
>>>

>> You're very welcome. Enjoy!
>>
>> And keep in mind that microsoft.public.virtualpc newsgroup.

Be sure to install the virtual machine additions from the Action menu of the
running virtual machine. That may resolve what you were describing.

J Allan

Just curious as to what your network settings are to run the Cisco VPN on
your virtual machine. I just installed the VPC last night and am trying to
get things installed correctly the first time.

I am using Vista Ultimate x64 as the host and Windows XP Pro 32-bit as the
VM. I need to run the Cisco VPN on the VM, which doesn't run on x64 systems.

Do I need to configure the adapter on the VM (XP Pro) to run in NAT mode? I
have a dual LAN setup on my motherboard - would I be able to choose the
second LAN network adapter to run on the VM instead of running it in NAT mode?

One last thing - once the VPN is connected via the VM (XP Pro), will I be
able to connect using the VPN connection on both my host machine (Vista x64)
and the VM (XP Pro)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Zootal" wrote:

> I run both Cisco and CheckPoint VPN clients in a VM running Win2000, and
> they both work very well.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No, they probably didn't. I have no way of knowing if it would work, but I
> > can't think of a single reason why not. It doesn't depend on any hardware
> > that's not available in the VM. It will connect the VM to your VPN, not
> > the host, but you can communicate between the host and the guest, so I'm
> > confident you can work with that.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >
> > "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I spent hours on the phone with HP and my agency's IT department looking
> >>for a workaround. No one offered running the Cisco VPN client in a
> >>virtual machine. If they had, and if I had confidence in how to do that,
> >>I would have tried it before sacrificing a gig of RAM and installing the
> >>32-bit Vista.
> >>
> >> I suspect that going back to the 64-bit Vista to then attempt to:
> >> a) install the 32-bit client (It wouldn't install on Vista 64)
> >> b) run it in VM mode
> >> would be a significant undertaking with no guarantee that it will work.
> >>
> >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

VistaNewbie

As my nickname implies, I am new at this. I do not have a complicated
network environment. I just have a home network with a wireless connection
to my notebook and a wired connection to a desktop.

I made no adjustments to my existing network. Simply:

1) I installed the VPC software

2) I ran the Setup program for WinXP Pro (32-bit)

3) I tested the internet connectivity (on the guest machine)
a) initially did not connect to the internet automatically
b) after some tinkering, I found a drop down menu in the VPC console
that allowed me to select my wireless adapter
c) launched Internet Explorer and connected to the internet immediately

4) installed the Cisco VPN client and configured the dialer

5) launched the client

6) mapped the network drives

7) Bingo! Connected to my office network!

This is obviously a simple explanation of a simple home office environment.
VPC just worked for me with just some minimal tinkering.

"J Allan" <J http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious as to what your network settings are to run the Cisco VPN on
> your virtual machine. I just installed the VPC last night and am trying
> get things installed correctly the first time.
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate x64 as the host and Windows XP Pro 32-bit as the
> VM. I need to run the Cisco VPN on the VM, which doesn't run on x64
> systems.
>
> Do I need to configure the adapter on the VM (XP Pro) to run in NAT mode?
> have a dual LAN setup on my motherboard - would I be able to choose the
> second LAN network adapter to run on the VM instead of running it in NAT
> mode?
>
> One last thing - once the VPN is connected via the VM (XP Pro), will I be
> able to connect using the VPN connection on both my host machine (Vista
> x64)
> and the VM (XP Pro)?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

> "Zootal" wrote:
>
>> I run both Cisco and CheckPoint VPN clients in a VM running Win2000, and
>> they both work very well.

Zootal

I run the cisco vpn client in a VM running Win2000. I have adapter 1 set to
my real adapter, and no other special settings.

"J Allan" <J (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious as to what your network settings are to run the Cisco VPN on
> your virtual machine. I just installed the VPC last night and am trying
> get things installed correctly the first time.
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate x64 as the host and Windows XP Pro 32-bit as the
> VM. I need to run the Cisco VPN on the VM, which doesn't run on x64
> systems.
>
> Do I need to configure the adapter on the VM (XP Pro) to run in NAT mode?
> have a dual LAN setup on my motherboard - would I be able to choose the
> second LAN network adapter to run on the VM instead of running it in NAT
> mode?
>
> One last thing - once the VPN is connected via the VM (XP Pro), will I be
> able to connect using the VPN connection on both my host machine (Vista
> x64)
> and the VM (XP Pro)?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

> "Zootal" wrote:
>
>> I run both Cisco and CheckPoint VPN clients in a VM running Win2000, and
>> they both work very well.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > No, they probably didn't. I have no way of knowing if it would work,
>> > but I
>> > can't think of a single reason why not. It doesn't depend on any
>> > hardware
>> > that's not available in the VM. It will connect the VM to your VPN, not
>> > the host, but you can communicate between the host and the guest, so
>> > I'm
>> > confident you can work with that.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.
>> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>> >
>> > "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Eric Seymour

Another suggestion—
I found post by Joe Harris (author of Cisco Network Security, Little Black Book), and unfortunately Cisco isn't going to help us out, he makes the recommendation of NCPs secure entry client, check out his blog: http://tinyurl.com/5nb7ba

September 12th, 2008 • Related • Filed Under
Filed Under: Security

You may have noticed that the Cisco IPSec VPN Client does not currently support 64-bit Operating Systems nor will it. If you have a need for an IPSec Client that does have 64-bit OS support, NCP Secure Communications has a Universal VPN Client that is 64 Bit compatible and will even import/convert your existing .pcf profiles for a seemless migration to a 64-bit client. More information regarding their products can be found by visiting their products page as well as specific configuration information related to configuring their client with Cisco products is found here: NCP to Cisco Config Guide

NCP engineering is recommended and this looks like the most recent data sheet (second page is the detail): http://tinyurl.com/6rjqmv

VPN Haus

Great suggestion - NCP has a great client.