Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit Cisco VPN Client

64-bit Cisco VPN Client

VistaNewbie

Thanks Charlie.

I understand the concept and although it sounds like more than an
afternoon's worth of work, I am going to try it. I appreciate your
recommendations and will start with the VirtualPC setup and work my way
through the OS installation and the required networking configurations to
set up my telework office.

Thank again.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> This could be XP or Vista, personally since it's a single use VM, I'd
> choose XP - the resource requirements are less. You'll need a license for
> that OS, by the way. Now, once you have the new OS installed, and
> communicating with the world, install the Cisco software.
>
> Trying to give you a "step by step" here is a bit beyond the scope of this
> newsgroup, frankly. But there is a VirtualPC specific newsgroup, some
> excellent blogs, and full download documentation from microsoft.com on
> VirtualPC and it's setup and configuration.
>
> BTW, I first talked about this alternative quite a while back:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/88280.aspx. There I
> used it as an alternative to dual-booting XP x64, and we didn't yet have a
> version of VirtualPC that worked in 64-bit, but the basic concept hasn't
> changed - use a virtualized legacy OS running on your new 64-bit hardware
> to get around compatibility issues.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have never run a program in a virtual machine and do not have a clue as
>>to where to start but I am pretty good at following directions.
>>
>> Do I need to install any additional software on my system to run the
>> client in a virtual machine? My first challenge is to figure out how to
>> install the client. Obviously, there must be a different procedure for
>> running the setup program in order to get it to install. Once installed,
>> how would I run it "in a virtual machine"?
>>
>> Also, once connected to my office network, would I also have to run the
>> application programs I use to perform my job "in a virtual machine"?
>> Typically, I log on to Windows, connect to the internet, connect the VPN
>> Client, connect to my network drives, launch Microsoft Outlook to access
>> our Exchange server and use several programs on my notebook to performs
>> tasks, e.g. Excel, Access, Word, Acrobat, WordPerfect, etc.
>>
>> I would like to be able to use all 4 GB of RAM I paid for and I would be
>> willing to invest the time to set the notebaook back to its original
>> 64-bit configuration but I need some assiatnace to get me there - even if
>> it's just a general outline of the steps I need to perform after I
>> restore the computer to a 64-bit Vista Home Premium edition.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No, they probably didn't. I have no way of knowing if it would work, but
>>> I can't think of a single reason why not. It doesn't depend on any
>>> hardware that's not available in the VM. It will connect the VM to your
>>> VPN, not the host, but you can communicate between the host and the
>>> guest, so I'm confident you can work with that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Zootal

I run both Cisco and CheckPoint VPN clients in a VM running Win2000, and
they both work very well.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, they probably didn't. I have no way of knowing if it would work, but I
> can't think of a single reason why not. It doesn't depend on any hardware
> that's not available in the VM. It will connect the VM to your VPN, not
> the host, but you can communicate between the host and the guest, so I'm
> confident you can work with that.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I spent hours on the phone with HP and my agency's IT department looking
>>for a workaround. No one offered running the Cisco VPN client in a
>>virtual machine. If they had, and if I had confidence in how to do that,
>>I would have tried it before sacrificing a gig of RAM and installing the
>>32-bit Vista.
>>
>> I suspect that going back to the 64-bit Vista to then attempt to:
>> a) install the 32-bit client (It wouldn't install on Vista 64)
>> b) run it in VM mode
>> would be a significant undertaking with no guarantee that it will work.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> yes, we need the Cisco's and Adobe's and others to get with the program.
>>>
>>> That being said, you might have been able to work around the problem by
>>> running the Cisco VPN client in a virtual machine, running Vista (or XP)
>>> 32-bit in the VM.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

You are correct. I checked with my wife's HP laptop recovery cd just for
grins and you cannot use it with a vm. You wouldn't be licensed to anyway.
You cannot assign either of the OEM licenses to any other device, even on
the same computer. A virtual machine is another device for licensing
purposes. I also suggest you get an XP Pro retail license for the vm.

> [...]
> recommendation and "choose XP - the resource requirements are less."
>
> I know your reply is a high level summary but I get it. I understand the
> concept and the implementation details will come with some research.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>

> "DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have never run a program in a virtual machine and do not have a clue as
>>>where to start but I am pretty good at following directions.
>>>
>>>Do I need to install any additional software on my system to run the
>>>client
>>>in a virtual machine? My first challenge is to figure out how to install
>>>the client. Obviously, there must be a different procedure for running
>>>the
>>>setup program in order to get it to install. Once installed, how would I
>>>run it "in a virtual machine"?
>>>
>>>Also, once connected to my office network, would I also have to run the
>>>application programs I use to perform my job "in a virtual machine"?
>>>Typically, I log on to Windows, connect to the internet, connect the VPN
>>>Client, connect to my network drives, launch Microsoft Outlook to access
>>>our
>>>Exchange server and use several programs on my notebook to performs
>>>tasks,
>>>e.g. Excel, Access, Word, Acrobat, WordPerfect, etc.
>>>
>>>I would like to be able to use all 4 GB of RAM I paid for and I would be
>>>willing to invest the time to set the notebaook back to its original
>>>64-bit
>>>configuration but I need some assiatnace to get me there - even if it's
>>>just
>>>a general outline of the steps I need to perform after I restore the
>>>computer to a 64-bit Vista Home Premium edition.

>> The first question is where did you get the 32-bit version of Vista? Did
>> you buy it separately?
>>
>> The reason I ask, you'll need a second OS license for this purpose.
>>
>> In short, what you'll need to do is grab some virtual machine software.
>> Microsoft's VirtualPC will do the job nicely, and it's free.
>>
>> Once the VM software is installed, you create a virtual machine in the
>> software and install an operating system into that virtual machine.
>>
>> Think if it like an entirely separate computer that physically lives
>> inside your machine. It has it's own set of hardware which is unrelated
>> to your hardware, including it's own hard drive and operating system.
>>
>> Once you get that OS up and running (and install the appropriate "tools"
>> or "additions" or whatever, you'll want to read the VM software's
>> documentation for the details), then you install the Cisco VPN software
>> and go nuts.
>>
>> This is a very high level overview, but it might get you started, or at
>> least gives you a place to start reading and decide if it's worth the

Colin Barnhorst

Think of a virtual machine like you do any computer. You install and
configure Windows on it exactly the same way you would on any other
computer. Don't let the virtualization part distract you. You can keep it
simple.

> [...]
>>> installed, how would I run it "in a virtual machine"?
>>>
>>> Also, once connected to my office network, would I also have to run the
>>> application programs I use to perform my job "in a virtual machine"?
>>> Typically, I log on to Windows, connect to the internet, connect the VPN
>>> Client, connect to my network drives, launch Microsoft Outlook to access
>>> our Exchange server and use several programs on my notebook to performs
>>> tasks, e.g. Excel, Access, Word, Acrobat, WordPerfect, etc.
>>>
>>> I would like to be able to use all 4 GB of RAM I paid for and I would be
>>> willing to invest the time to set the notebaook back to its original
>>> 64-bit configuration but I need some assiatnace to get me there - even
>>> if it's just a general outline of the steps I need to perform after I
>>> restore the computer to a 64-bit Vista Home Premium edition.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

Charlie Russel - MVP

Colin, you make a really good point. I've seen a lot of users over-think
virtualization and try to make it something different than it is. It's just
exactly like another physical computer, just that sharing space on the same
physical box as its host.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think of a virtual machine like you do any computer. You install and
> configure Windows on it exactly the same way you would on any other
> computer. Don't let the virtualization part distract you. You can keep
> it simple.
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie.
>>
>> I understand the concept and although it sounds like more than an
>> afternoon's worth of work, I am going to try it. I appreciate your
>> recommendations and will start with the VirtualPC setup and work my way
>> through the OS installation and the required networking configurations to
>> set up my telework office.
>>
>> Thank again.

>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The process requires installing some sort of virtualization software
>>> (Virtual PC is a good choice here, and free), then installing an
>>> operating system in a Virtual Machine created with that virtualization
>>> software. This could be XP or Vista, personally since it's a single use
>>> VM, I'd choose XP - the resource requirements are less. You'll need a
>>> license for that OS, by the way. Now, once you have the new OS
>>> installed, and communicating with the world, install the Cisco software.
>>>
>>> Trying to give you a "step by step" here is a bit beyond the scope of
>>> this newsgroup, frankly. But there is a VirtualPC specific newsgroup,
>>> some excellent blogs, and full download documentation from microsoft.com
>>> on VirtualPC and it's setup and configuration.
>>>
>>> BTW, I first talked about this alternative quite a while back:
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/88280.aspx. There I
>>> used it as an alternative to dual-booting XP x64, and we didn't yet have
>>> a version of VirtualPC that worked in 64-bit, but the basic concept
>>> hasn't changed - use a virtualized legacy OS running on your new 64-bit
>>> hardware to get around compatibility issues.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup, what I'd expect. Thanks for the confirmation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ux$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I run both Cisco and CheckPoint VPN clients in a VM running Win2000, and
>they both work very well.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, they probably didn't. I have no way of knowing if it would work, but
>> I can't think of a single reason why not. It doesn't depend on any
>> hardware that's not available in the VM. It will connect the VM to your
>> VPN, not the host, but you can communicate between the host and the
>> guest, so I'm confident you can work with that.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I spent hours on the phone with HP and my agency's IT department looking
>>>for a workaround. No one offered running the Cisco VPN client in a
>>>virtual machine. If they had, and if I had confidence in how to do that,
>>>I would have tried it before sacrificing a gig of RAM and installing the
>>>32-bit Vista.
>>>
>>> I suspect that going back to the 64-bit Vista to then attempt to:
>>> a) install the 32-bit client (It wouldn't install on Vista 64)
>>> b) run it in VM mode
>>> would be a significant undertaking with no guarantee that it will work.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

VistaNewbie

Oh, well! Got stopped by the very first hurdle. I'm running Vista "Home
Premium". Virtual PC requires Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista
Enterprise, or Windows Vista Ultimate.

I believe that would require me to purchase two new retail licenses: a
64-bit & a 32-bit Vista Business licences. On-line pricing for OEM
versions of these puts me in the $400 arena.

I only telework one day a week and I think a quick cost/benefit analysis
suggests that the $399 Lenovo 3000 N200 (0769-F8U) is a much more practical
"out of the box" solution. Not much of a laptop but, for the money, it will
work for me one day a week.

Thanks all for the help.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think of a virtual machine like you do any computer. You install and
> configure Windows on it exactly the same way you would on any other
> computer. Don't let the virtualization part distract you. You can keep
> it simple.
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie.
>>
>> I understand the concept and although it sounds like more than an
>> afternoon's worth of work, I am going to try it. I appreciate your
>> recommendations and will start with the VirtualPC setup and work my way
>> through the OS installation and the required networking configurations to
>> set up my telework office.
>>
>> Thank again.

>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The process requires installing some sort of virtualization software
>>> (Virtual PC is a good choice here, and free), then installing an
>>> operating system in a Virtual Machine created with that virtualization
>>> software. This could be XP or Vista, personally since it's a single use
>>> VM, I'd choose XP - the resource requirements are less. You'll need a
>>> license for that OS, by the way. Now, once you have the new OS
>>> installed, and communicating with the world, install the Cisco software.
>>>
>>> Trying to give you a "step by step" here is a bit beyond the scope of
>>> this newsgroup, frankly. But there is a VirtualPC specific newsgroup,
>>> some excellent blogs, and full download documentation from microsoft.com
>>> on VirtualPC and it's setup and configuration.
>>>
>>> BTW, I first talked about this alternative quite a while back:
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/88280.aspx. There I
>>> used it as an alternative to dual-booting XP x64, and we didn't yet have
>>> a version of VirtualPC that worked in 64-bit, but the basic concept
>>> hasn't changed - use a virtualized legacy OS running on your new 64-bit
>>> hardware to get around compatibility issues.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

If you are referring to the advisory message when you install VPC on a Home
edition, skip it. It is just advisory. And "not supported" does NOT mean
"won't run". What "support" means is phone and email support from MS. VPC
runs fine on the Vista home editions. The next time you see the advisory,
check the box to "don't show this message again."

"VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh, well! Got stopped by the very first hurdle. I'm running Vista "Home
> Premium". Virtual PC requires Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista
> Enterprise, or Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> I believe that would require me to purchase two new retail licenses: a
> 64-bit & a 32-bit Vista Business licences. On-line pricing for OEM
> versions of these puts me in the $400 arena.
>
> I only telework one day a week and I think a quick cost/benefit analysis
> suggests that the $399 Lenovo 3000 N200 (0769-F8U) is a much more
> practical "out of the box" solution. Not much of a laptop but, for the
> money, it will work for me one day a week.
>
> Thanks all for the help.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Think of a virtual machine like you do any computer. You install and
>> configure Windows on it exactly the same way you would on any other
>> computer. Don't let the virtualization part distract you. You can keep
>> it simple.
>>
>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Charlie.
>>>
>>> I understand the concept and although it sounds like more than an
>>> afternoon's worth of work, I am going to try it. I appreciate your
>>> recommendations and will start with the VirtualPC setup and work my way
>>> through the OS installation and the required networking configurations
>>> to set up my telework office.
>>>
>>> Thank again.
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news(E-Mail Removed)...

VistaNewbie

I was referring to the Product Specifications for the guest OS listed on
Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 webpage
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...overview.mspx).
It specifically mentions the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions of
Vista as the requirements for Virtual PC 2007. The Virtual PC 2003 page
also mentions only those three versions of Vista. Home Premium is excluded
from both.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are referring to the advisory message when you install VPC on a
> Home edition, skip it. It is just advisory. And "not supported" does NOT
> mean "won't run". What "support" means is phone and email support from
> MS. VPC runs fine on the Vista home editions. The next time you see the
> advisory, check the box to "don't show this message again."
>
> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oh, well! Got stopped by the very first hurdle. I'm running Vista "Home
>> Premium". Virtual PC requires Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista
>> Enterprise, or Windows Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> I believe that would require me to purchase two new retail licenses: a
>> 64-bit & a 32-bit Vista Business licences. On-line pricing for OEM
>> versions of these puts me in the $400 arena.
>>
>> I only telework one day a week and I think a quick cost/benefit analysis
>> suggests that the $399 Lenovo 3000 N200 (0769-F8U) is a much more
>> practical "out of the box" solution. Not much of a laptop but, for the
>> money, it will work for me one day a week.
>>
>> Thanks all for the help.
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Think of a virtual machine like you do any computer. You install and
>>> configure Windows on it exactly the same way you would on any other
>>> computer. Don't let the virtualization part distract you. You can keep
>>> it simple.
>>>
>>> "VistaNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

That's the other side of the coin I was describing. Those are the supported
editions. MS is not going to list an edition for which Product Support
Services does not provide support. MS is careful to advise users that only
self-support options are available when using VPC with home editions.
Self-support, of course, means user groups, the Knowledgebase, books, peers,
experience, help files, etc.

MS has never supported the home editions of either XP or Vista but VPC has
always run on all of them and the home editions have always run as guests.
MS does not comment on any Linux distributions that run in VPC either but
over a thousand do.

VPC is free and easily uninstalled. I know of no downside to trying it.