Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL projects in emacs

VHDL projects in emacs

jerzy.gbur@gmail.com

Hello,
I'm FPGA designer, I work on Xilinx ISE tools (MS Windows XP).
I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.

But..
1. How can I organize working with projects? I have some projects
added to environment through putting their definition in .emacs file.
It looks messy for me. How can I do other way? How you do that?

2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

Best Regards,

Jerzy Gbur

Mark McDougall

> I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.
> But..

There are 2 types of people in this world - those that can use emacs, and
those that can't. It is decided at birth, and there's nothing you can do
to change that!

(For the record, I can't use emacs)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

Martin Thompson

> Hello,
> I'm FPGA designer, I work on Xilinx ISE tools (MS Windows XP).
> I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.

Good choice Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of emacs!

> But..
> 1. How can I organize working with projects? I have some projects
> added to environment through putting their definition in .emacs file.
> It looks messy for me. How can I do other way? How you do that?

Export the project (Vhdl..project..export) to the same folder as your
HDL files. When you open an HDL file, VHDL-mode looks for a .prj file
in the same folder. Alternatively, when you have a hierarchy of
folders and you open a file further down, you can do
Vhdl..Project..Import project (or prod C-c C-p C-m) and you can read a
project file in.

> 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors

Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. You can then do M-x
yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

However, I do very little of this, as my usual reason for hacking
around rectangles of text was for instantiating components and
creating signal lists from entity declarations, which VHDL-mode does
very nicely for me with just a few key pressses

Cheers,
Martin

--
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

jerzy.gbur@gmail.com

On 2 Lip, 10:46, Martin Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Hello,
> > I'm FPGA designer, I work on Xilinx ISE tools (MS Windows XP).
> > I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.

> Good choice Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of emacs!
>
> > But..
> > 1. How can I organize working with projects? I have some projects
> > added to environment through putting their definition in .emacs file.
> > It looks messy for me. How can I do other way? How you do that?

> Export the project (Vhdl..project..export) to the same folder as your
> HDL files. *When you open an HDL file, VHDL-mode looks for a .prj file
> in the same folder. *Alternatively, when you have a hierarchy of
> folders and you open a file further down, you can do
> Vhdl..Project..Import project (or prod C-c C-p C-m) and you can read a
> project file in.

Ok, I will do experiments.

> > 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

> Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors
>
> Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
> other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. *You can then do M-x
> yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

Yeah, it works ))

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Jerzy Gbur

Nicolas Matringe

(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
> On 2 Lip, 10:46, Martin Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

>> Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors
>>
>> Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
>> other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. You can then do M-x
>> yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

There are key bindings for these
C-x r k for killing the rectangle
C-x r y for yanking it
C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
There are others but I never use them

Nicolas

omara007 omara007 is offline
Junior Member

I have one question regarding the VHDL-mode .. I actually started with Verilog-Mode before I try the VHDL-mode .. and I still have the impression that Verilog-mode is more mature ..

Anyhow, anyone knows what should be done to automatically update a top-level module with the changes made to the interface/ports of a lower-level module ? .. should I still copy the ports from the Lower-Level Module to the Upper-Level one ? .. or there is any smarter method to do that, like in Verilog-mode when you open the top-level module file it directly senses the changes of the lower module .. and it asks you if you want to update or not ..

Reuven

On Jul 2, 11:00*am, Nicolas Matringe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) a écrit :

> >> Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors

> >> Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
> >> other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. *You can then do M-x
> >> yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

> There are key bindings for these
> C-x r k for killing the rectangle
> C-x r y for yanking it
> C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
> There are others but I never use them
>
> Nicolas

From Section 18.3 in the emacs user's guide.

18.3 Saving Rectangles in Registers
===================================

A register can contain a rectangle instead of linear text. The
rectangle is represented as a list of strings. *Note Rectangles::,
for
basic information on how to specify a rectangle in the buffer.

`C-x r r R'
Copy the region-rectangle into register R
(`copy-rectangle-to-register'). With numeric argument, delete it
as well.

`C-x r i R'
Insert the rectangle stored in register R (if it contains a
rectangle) (`insert-register').

The `C-x r i R' command inserts a text string if the register
contains one, and inserts a rectangle if the register contains one.

See also the command `sort-columns', which you can think of as
sorting a rectangle. *Note Sorting::.

After practice, it's easier than initially perceived.

regards,

jerzy.gbur@gmail.com

On 3 Lip, 19:07, Reuven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 11:00*am, Nicolas Matringe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > (E-Mail Removed) a écrit :

> > There are key bindings for these
> > C-x r k for killing the rectangle
> > C-x r y for yanking it
> > C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
> > There are others but I never use them

> > Nicolas

> From Section 18.3 in the emacs user's guide.
>
> 18.3 Saving Rectangles in Registers
> ===================================
>
> A register can contain a rectangle instead of linear text. *The
> rectangle is represented as a list of strings. **Note Rectangles::,
> for
> basic information on how to specify a rectangle in the buffer.
>
> `C-x r r R'
> * * *Copy the region-rectangle into register R
> * * *(`copy-rectangle-to-register'). *With numeric argument, delete it
> * * *as well.
>
> `C-x r i R'
> * * *Insert the rectangle stored in register R (if it contains a
> * * *rectangle) (`insert-register').
>
> * *The `C-x r i R' command inserts a text string if the register
> contains one, and inserts a rectangle if the register contains one.
>
> * *See also the command `sort-columns', which you can think of as
> sorting a rectangle. **Note Sorting::.
>
> After practice, it's easier than initially perceived.
>
> regards,
> r- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
>
> - Poka¿ cytowany tekst -

Hello,

Thank all of you.
All advices are very helpful.

Every day, using emacs is easier then before

Best Regards,

Jerzy Gbur

Nicolas Matringe

(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Thank all of you.
> All advices are very helpful.
>
> Every day, using emacs is easier then before

And then one day you start looking into regular expressions, then lisp
(well, elisp actually) ...

Nicolas