Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How do you use ReportViewer to display a Reporting Services report?

How do you use ReportViewer to display a Reporting Services report?

S_K

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Reporting Services report that I need to display in an
ASP.NET web page using the ReportViewer. However I can't link the
Reporting Services report (.rdl) to the ReportViewer! I have the
ReportViewer.LocalReport.ReportPath set to the path of the .rdl report
but the report still dosen't display.

Can somebody help me on this?

Thanks

Steve

David Wier

I may miss some steps here, but I'll come as close as I can, from the top of
my head.
It's not as simple as just copying the files -
First - you need to rename the .rdl file to .rdlc
You'll need to create the datasets in your ASP.Net application also
Also - if you're using parameters, you will need to create the controls in
the page, separately, and then use an event of some sort (button, etc) to
trigger running the report

I just copied some code here:
(this is for use with 2 date text parameters - you'll need to make the
reportviewer invisible at the start, then, when executing the code
Dim dsSource As ReportDataSource = New
ReportDataSource("DataSetName_DataTableName", MethodName(txtStartDate.Text,
txtEndDate.Text))

rpt.Visible = True
rpt.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear()
rpt.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(dsSource)
rpt.LocalReport.Refresh()

This is fairly close - you'll need to change it up a little for your own
needs, but as you can see, it's not just a drop and use type of situation.
Hopefully this will give you a start

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
bloated markup

"S_K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi and thanks in advance for your help.
>
> I have a Reporting Services report that I need to display in an
> ASP.NET web page using the ReportViewer. However I can't link the
> Reporting Services report (.rdl) to the ReportViewer! I have the
> ReportViewer.LocalReport.ReportPath set to the path of the .rdl report
> but the report still dosen't display.
>
> Can somebody help me on this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve