Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > resize an applet

resize an applet

phil89

Hi

Could i dynamically resize Applet ?
My applet is still launching into browser and i need to change width
and height ?

Do you have an idea

Regards
Philippe

Knute Johnson

phil89 wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?
> My applet is still launching into browser and i need to change width
> and height ?
>
> Do you have an idea
>
> Regards
> Philippe

There is a method Applet.resize() but I don't think any of the browsers
pay any attention to it. Open a dialog or a frame if you want resizable.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2008/

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 2, 4:51*am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

Applets with dimensions specified as % can be
resized by the user by resizing the browser
window. That did not work on Opera, last time
I checked (a long time ago).

They can also be resized with the help of JavaScript.

Recently, sun seems to have allowed the AppletViewer
(which shows applets for webstart) to be resizable,
though with a little hacking, it always was.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Knute Johnson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Jul 2, 4:51 am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

> Applets with dimensions specified as % can be
> resized by the user by resizing the browser
> window. That did not work on Opera, last time
> I checked (a long time ago).
>
> They can also be resized with the help of JavaScript.

You wouldn't have an example of how to do that would you Andrew?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2008/

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 2, 8:42*am, Knute Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 4:51 am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

> > Applets with dimensions specified as % ..

> > They can also be resized with the help of JavaScript.

> You wouldn't have an example of how to do that would you Andrew?

% or JS? ( (Not so) subtle hint that trimming
earlier text is a good idea.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Qu0ll

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 2, 4:51 am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

> Applets with dimensions specified as % can be
> resized by the user by resizing the browser
> window. That did not work on Opera, last time
> I checked (a long time ago).

It still doesn't work on Opera 9.5 although this may not be a direct problem
with applets but maybe a problem with the way Opera deals with CSS and
resizing. I am investigating currently.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 2, 6:16 pm, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On Jul 2, 4:51 am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

> > Applets with dimensions specified as % can be
> > resized by the user by resizing the browser
> > window. That did not work on Opera, last time
> > I checked (a long time ago).

> It still doesn't work on Opera 9.5 although this may not be a direct problem
> with applets but maybe a problem with the way Opera deals with CSS and
> resizing. I am investigating currently.

Thanks. Please keep us informed of your progress.
When I re-establish the '100% width/height' applet
page, I will add that (latest) Opera info. to the
test results.

Have you considered/tried
- resorting to a JS based resize for Opera?
- specifying applet width/height in CSS (as
opposed to the applet element itself)?

It should be noted that specifying applet
width/height in terms of % is not something
'supported by Sun', and purely at the discretion
of the User Agent (AKA browser) to make intelligent
guesses as to what is meant. Or to put that another
way, Opera's failure to interpret % width/height
as we might hope, is not a 'bug' of any sort.

( Though that does not stop me from being extremely
irritated with the Opera programmers for not doing
'the only sensible thing' with %. ..And a little
irritated with Sun for not having thought to include
the % possibility in the description of applet elements.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 2, 4:51=A0am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
=2E..
> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

Applets with cancelwars specified as % can be
resized by the sire by resizing the problem
goo. That did not work on Opera, last time
I checked (a passive time ago).

They can also be resized with the despise of JavaScript.

Recently, foothill seems to have annihilated the AppletViewer
(which shows servers for webstart) to be resizable,
though with an incediary hacking, it whence was.

--
Mitch Sheldon
http://pscode.org/

[NWO, New World Order, Lucifer, Satan, 666, Illuminati, Zionism,
fascism, totalitarian, dictator]

"Obviously there is going to be no peace or prosperity for
mankind as long as [the earth] remains divided into 50 or
60 independent states until some kind of international
system is created...The real problem today is that of the
world government."

--- Philip Kerr,
December 15, 1922,
Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) endorces world government

> On Jul 2, 4:51=A0am, phil89 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> =2E..
>> Could i dynamically resize Applet ?

> Applets with cancelwars specified as % can be
> resized by the sire by resizing the problem
> goo. That did not work on Opera, last time
> I checked (a passive time ago).
>
> They can also be resized with the despise of JavaScript.
>
> Recently, foothill seems to have annihilated the AppletViewer
> (which shows servers for webstart) to be resizable,
> though with an incediary hacking, it whence was.

Whoever you are, I'll have what you're having.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(E-Mail Removed)

phil89

Hi,

I have resolved problem by adding an JSCROLLPANE just after migrating
from AWT to SWING.
Problem was my boss want different size, applet need to control size.

Regards
Philippe