Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problems with viewstate with custom control in update panel.

Problems with viewstate with custom control in update panel.

kurt sune

Hi all,

I have a custom control that Inherits WebControl, Implements
INamingContainer and Implements IPostBackDataHandler

It works flawlessly on a page that does not have an update panel.

However when it is enclosed in an update panel the viewstate for it gets
lost and it contains no data.

I would be very grateful for advice of how to do error searching .

/k

Munna

Hi,

I found few of the articles on msdn to implement a ajax enabled custom
web server control

Best of luck

Munna
www.munna.shatkotha.com
www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
www.shatkotha.com

John Rivers

Do not use ASPX

it is a flawed design - not meant to be used for professional web
applications

instead use IHttpHandler and build a sensible application

that way you won't need to battle against a bad architecture that adds
complexity and limitations but gives nothing in return

densial

On Jul 2, 5:00 am, John Rivers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do not use ASPX
>
> it is a flawed design - not meant to be used for professional web
> applications
>
> instead use IHttpHandler and build a sensible application
>
> that way you won't need to battle against a bad architecture that adds
> complexity and limitations but gives nothing in return

you are SO going to have to justify those statements.

kurt sune

Do you think I have to rewrite the control according to this:
http://forums.asp.net/p/1040033/1445844.aspx

/k

"Munna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I found few of the articles on msdn to implement a ajax enabled custom
> web server control
>
> Best of luck
>
> Munna
> www.munna.shatkotha.com
> www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
> www.shatkotha.com

John Rivers

> you are SO going to have to justify those statements.

This forum is full of people struggling to do simple things with a
broken architecture.

I have 15 years commercial web development experience and I would not
consider using ASPX pages for any project.

IIS is good - ASP.NET HttpHandlers are good - ASPX is junk.

ASPX is Microsoft's (failed) attempt at creating a Windows Forms type
development experience for Web Applications.

they are trying to "dumb down" web development to make it easy for
amateur developers such as web design agencies, bedroom coders and
"the bloke in IT"

but they made tragic mistakes in the architecture:

- forcing people to use javascript
- not supporting redirect after state change
- a ridiculous object model and event model

The end result is a system that actually makes web application
development harder and produces sub-standard results.

My solution is to create my own parser and code generator - replacing
the ASPX page handler completely with an intelligent one.

I can develop highly sophisticated web applications targetting
multiple browsers with full interactive AJAX at ten times the speed of
an ASPX developer.
Plus my applications conform to best practices in enterprise class web
applications that have been refined over the last 15 years.

Can you find me one top-grade public web application that uses ASPX ?

DELL uses ".aspx" extensions - but look closely - behind the scenes
they are not using ASPX !

Can you show me one bank that uses ASPX for its online banking ?

You won't find any - because at that level they can not afford to use
flawed sub-standard technology.

I feel sorry for people who lack the experience to question the
validity of ASPX and waste their time and energy using it.

I am always happy to be proved wrong - if you can provide URLs of a
ASPX web app that isn't a joke I will eat my words.