Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OFFICIAL: Nikon D700 and SB-900

OFFICIAL: Nikon D700 and SB-900

Cynicor

Press releases dated July 1, on Nikon USA.

http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/th...d700_fxfor.php

http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/ne...dlight_adv.php

Also, 45mm 2.8 and 85mm 2.8 PC lenses:
http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/ni...s_the_nikk.php

Jufi

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:486a0995$0$7322$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Press releases dated July 1, on Nikon USA.
>
> http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/th...d700_fxfor.php

Three years later, Nikon introduces a competitor for the 5D, and then
charges $3K for it? Really? One born every minute, I guess. I guess "FX"
stands for ****ing Xpensive.

Jufi wrote:

> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:486a0995$0$7322$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Press releases dated July 1, on Nikon USA.
>>
>> http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/th...d700_fxfor.php

> Three years later, Nikon introduces a competitor for the 5D, and then
> charges $3K for it? Really? One born every minute, I guess. I guess "FX"
> stands for ****ing Xpensive.

The 5D is the one that can go all the way up to ISO 3200 if you push it,
right?

Jufi

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:486a20c3$0$5020$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jufi wrote:
>>
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:486a0995$0$7322$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Press releases dated July 1, on Nikon USA.
>>>
>>> http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/th...d700_fxfor.php

>> Three years later, Nikon introduces a competitor for the 5D, and then
>> charges $3K for it? Really? One born every minute, I guess. I guess "FX"
>> stands for ****ing Xpensive.

> The 5D is the one that can go all the way up to ISO 3200 if you push it,
> right?

Yes, the D700 has a few features over the 5D, but that's to be expected when
a camera has the benefit of an additional three years of development, isn't
it? But while it has a few features that the 5D has, it certainly is not a
quantum leap over the 5D. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed with it.

Jufi

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Jufi wrote:
>
>>> Press releases dated July 1, on Nikon USA.
>>>
>>> http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/th...d700_fxfor.php

>> Three years later, Nikon introduces a competitor for the 5D, and then
>> charges $3K for it? Really? One born every minute, I guess. I guess
>> "FX" stands for ****ing Xpensive.

> This is great news for 5D owners since at least now they will be getting
> AF
> back for all their wonderful Nikkors. When Canon introduces the 5D MkII
> it
> will still be at a severe disadvantage since Canon offers no useable
> lenses
> for it. As usual, I'm hoping Canon gets off their collective asses and
> introduces something that can compete with Nikon.

Truly, anyone stupid enough to buy a Canon body and Nikon glass isn't worth
mentioning. Especially fat-assed trolls.

Cynicor

Jufi wrote:

> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:486a20c3$0$5020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jufi wrote:
>>>
>>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:486a0995$0$7322$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Three years later, Nikon introduces a competitor for the 5D, and then
>>> charges $3K for it? Really? One born every minute, I guess. I guess
>>> "FX" stands for ****ing Xpensive.

>> The 5D is the one that can go all the way up to ISO 3200 if you push
>> it, right?

> Yes, the D700 has a few features over the 5D, but that's to be expected
> when a camera has the benefit of an additional three years of
> development, isn't it? But while it has a few features that the 5D has,
> it certainly is not a quantum leap over the 5D. Honestly, I'm pretty
> disappointed with it.

So what did you dislike about it when you used it?

Jufí

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:486a36ae$0$11618$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jufi wrote:
>>
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:486a20c3$0$5020$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The 5D is the one that can go all the way up to ISO 3200 if you push it,
>>> right?

>> Yes, the D700 has a few features over the 5D, but that's to be expected
>> when a camera has the benefit of an additional three years of
>> development, isn't it? But while it has a few features that the 5D has,
>> it certainly is not a quantum leap over the 5D. Honestly, I'm pretty
>> disappointed with it.

> So what did you dislike about it when you used it?

Funny, but I think you know what I mean...

Cynicor

Jufí wrote:
>>> Yes, the D700 has a few features over the 5D, but that's to be
>>> expected when a camera has the benefit of an additional three years
>>> of development, isn't it? But while it has a few features that the 5D
>>> has, it certainly is not a quantum leap over the 5D. Honestly, I'm
>>> pretty disappointed with it.

>> So what did you dislike about it when you used it?

> Funny, but I think you know what I mean...

Well, the real point is, how many people are buying this as their first
camera. If you have Nikon lenses, the D700 has one major feature over
the 5D - it takes Nikon lenses. If you have Canon lenses, the 5D
likewise has a killer feature.

I've got 10 pieces of Nikon-compatible glass, not counting extension
tubes, teleconverters, and the pinhole I tried to make with a body cap
and an F-mount Pringles can, so I'm not going to be going back and forth
based on incremental feature sets.

Jufí

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:486a89e6$0$7323$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So what did you dislike about it when you used it?

>> Funny, but I think you know what I mean...

> Well, the real point is, how many people are buying this as their first
> camera. If you have Nikon lenses, the D700 has one major feature over the
> 5D - it takes Nikon lenses. If you have Canon lenses, the 5D likewise has
> a killer feature.
>
> I've got 10 pieces of Nikon-compatible glass, not counting extension
> tubes, teleconverters, and the pinhole I tried to make with a body cap and
> an F-mount Pringles can, so I'm not going to be going back and forth based
> on incremental feature sets.

No question, it's a great choice for anyone with Nikon glass. An affordable
(sort of) FF camera that can finally use the 17-35 2.8 to its full
potential. Killer lens...

Well, if you get one, enjoy it!