Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help? Bluetooth "Class of Device" Attribute

Help? Bluetooth "Class of Device" Attribute

Kyle

The "Class of Device" (COD) is used in device discovery. It's a 3-byte
value that describes a device in terms like Computer:Laptop or
Imagingrinter.

Some Bluetooth protocols, including Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
require this attribute to be set to a specific value. I am writing
software that uses Microsoft's Bluetooth Stack to support BPP on a
Windows XP SP2 installation, and I need to set this value.

The COD currently defaults to: 0x020104

I haven't found a configurable "Class of Device" registry value and
according to MS support, it cannot be set programmatically via the SDK.
This value _must_ be set with software somewhere, since it seems that
some Bluetooth dongles ship with an invalid setting.

I really need this to work, even if it means editing bits in a bth*
library or in the driver. Please reply if you have any insight. Thank
you,

Kyle Scholz