Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Word and Excel linking ideas

Word and Excel linking ideas

Mr_Bond

Hi,

I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this is
by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
field.

The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
excel and need the word document to update through without manually
having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.

Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We use
Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
average.

Thanks.

Alan

"Mr_Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more
> often
> word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this
> is
> by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
> field.
>
> The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
> excel and need the word document to update through without manually
> having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each
> document.
>
> Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the
> files
> are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of
> pasting
> a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
> changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a
> time.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
> network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We
> use
> Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel
> like
> a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
> average.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Since you have raised it, I would not discount the option of doing the
whole thing in Excel.

I have done this before, and if you know what you are doing, you can
get Excel to look at least as good as anything you can do in Word with
much less hassle than linking through from Excel to Word. If all the
basic data is in Excel, I would be heading in that direction since
maintenance would also be much less work in the end too.

If you need any specific help, my email address (below) is valid as
is.

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

impossible

"Mr_Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
> word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this is
> by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
> field.
>
> The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
> excel and need the word document to update through without manually
> having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.
>
> Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
> are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
> a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
> changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
> network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We use
> Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
> a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
> average.

It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are you
pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30 separate
copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30 links --
in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating data
modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the number
of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse the
two operations (been there, done that).

Mr_Bond

On Jul 1, 5:22*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Mr_Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi,

> > I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
> > word documents that refer to calculations in excel. *How we do this is
> > by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
> > field.

> > The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
> > excel and need the word document to update through without manually
> > having to check it. *We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.

> > Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
> > are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
> > a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
> > changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.

> > Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? *Upgrading
> > network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. *We use
> > Office 2003. *We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
> > a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
> > average.

> It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are you
> pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30 separate
> copies of the Excel worksheet object? *Even on a "slow computer" working
> over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30 links -- *
> in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating data
> modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the number
> of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
> worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
> describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse the
> two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph. eg
Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
annum".

Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings. There is
also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.

We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos. Our
spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

impossible

>> "Mr_Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are
>> you
>> pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30
>> separate
>> copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
>> over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30
>> links --
>> in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating
>> data
>> modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the
>> number
>> of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
>> worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
>> describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse
>> the
>> two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

> Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
> growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph. eg
> Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
> annum".
>
> Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
> worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings. There is
> also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.
>

> We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
> document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos. Our
> spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
> we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

As long as you're pasting links to objects, and not the objects themselves,
there shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't know a better method to suggest.

I'm assuming you have at least 500 Mb of ram on the client machines. Are all
the Office 2003 updates installed? Tried running the "repair" process?

NR

On Jul 2, 4:01*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "Mr_Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are
> >> you
> >> pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30
> >> separate
> >> copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
> >> over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30
> >> links --
> >> in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating
> >> data
> >> modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the
> >> number
> >> of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
> >> worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
> >> describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse
> >> the
> >> two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

> > Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
> > growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph. *eg
> > Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
> > annum".

> > Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
> > worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings. *There is
> > also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.

> > We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
> > document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos. *Our
> > spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
> > we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

> As long as you're pasting links to objects, and not the objects themselves,
> there shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't know a better method to suggest.
>
> I'm assuming you have at least 500 Mb of ram on the client machines. Are all
> the Office 2003 updates installed? Tried running the "repair" process?

You could try seeing if it is any more stable in openoffice.