Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Tom

Does anyone know what program is used to view WinXp thumbnails by default?
('cuz mine is gone)

I think I did get rid of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, but, now I can't
see thumbnails in Windows XP! Can we set the program to view thumbnails?

Here's what happened so far (drat):
0. Here is what I still HAVE in my menu when right clicking on a JPEG

Open With:
- Windows picture and fax viewer
- Irfanview
- Paint.Net
- Paint
- Choose Program

Here's what I WANT in that JPEG context menu:
Open With:
- Irfanview
- Paint.Net
- Paint
- FastoneFS
- Choose Program

NOTE: I'd never open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so that's why I
want it out of that JPG context menu!

How do we replace "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" with "FastoneFS" without
losing the ability to view thumbnails in Windows XP?

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:53:55 -0700, Tom wrote:

> Does anyone know what program is used to view WinXp thumbnails by default?
> ('cuz mine is gone)

> How do we replace "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" with "FastoneFS" without
> losing the ability to view thumbnails in Windows XP?

Here's what I had TRIED to get rid of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

BTW, I think I did get rid of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, but, now I
can't see thumbnails in Windows XP!

1. I got really tired of always having to scroll when right clicking on
photos to open them up in secondary freeware photo editors such as
FastoneFS so I wanted to put FastoneFS on this "Open With" context menu.

2. Since I never use "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (or so I had
thought), I looked up how to delete the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".

3. Now that I've deleted the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, I don't see my
thumbnails in Windows XP anymore. Sigh.

Two questions:
What does Windows use to view thumbnails? (Windows Picture & Fax Viewer???)
How should I have added FastoneFX to the JPG context menu anyway?
Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview???

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:57:03 -0700, Tom wrote:

> Two questions:
> What does Windows use to view thumbnails? (Windows Picture & Fax Viewer???)
> How should I have added FastoneFX to the JPG context menu anyway?
> Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview???

OK. That's THREE questions!

To help you help me, here is the advice I had followed to get rid of the
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in my JPG OpenWith context menu.

Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

But that didn't work to remove Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from the JPG
openwith context menu.

Googling some more, I found this page:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...in-windows-xp/
titled How to Turn Off Image Preview Thumbnail and Disable Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer in Windows XP

But, I didn't want to remove the thumbnail preview ...... I just wanted to
remove the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from my JPG congtext menu!

I just ran:
Start -> Run -> regsvr32 shimgvw.

And my thumbnails are back!

That leaves two questions:

How can I add FastoneFX freeware to the JPG context menu to replace
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview freeware?

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:04:47 -0700, Tom wrote:

> That leaves two questions:
> How can I add FastoneFX freeware to the JPG context menu to replace
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
> Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview freeware?

I tried removing the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer but it doesn't show up
in the CCLeaner remove programs GUI.

It didn't work (nothing changed) to delete the "ShellImagePreview" key in
the registry as described in a lot of web pages (so I had to put it back).
HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextM enuHandlers\ShellImagePreview

Does everyone have a (rather useless) Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in
their open with context menu when they right click on a JPG in Windows?

Did YOU replace that context menu item with something more useful?

How?

tony cooper

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:57:03 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:53:55 -0700, Tom wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what program is used to view WinXp thumbnails by default?
>> ('cuz mine is gone)

>> How do we replace "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" with "FastoneFS" without
>> losing the ability to view thumbnails in Windows XP?

>Here's what I had TRIED to get rid of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
>BTW, I think I did get rid of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, but, now I
>can't see thumbnails in Windows XP!
>
>1. I got really tired of always having to scroll when right clicking on
>photos to open them up in secondary freeware photo editors such as
>FastoneFS so I wanted to put FastoneFS on this "Open With" context menu.
>
>2. Since I never use "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (or so I had
>thought), I looked up how to delete the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".
>
>3. Now that I've deleted the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, I don't see my
>thumbnails in Windows XP anymore. Sigh.
>
>Two questions:
>What does Windows use to view thumbnails? (Windows Picture & Fax Viewer???)
>How should I have added FastoneFX to the JPG context menu anyway?
>Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview???

If you are in "My Computer" (XP), and you want to open a .jpg file in
FastStone, find any image in the list of .jpgs, right click on that
file, in the drop-down go to OPEN WITH. Choose "FSViewer" and the
image will open in FastStone.

If "FSViewer" is not on the list, and it won't be until you add it, go
to CHOOSE PROGRAM in the drop-down, pick "FSViewer" and check the box
that says "Always open with this program".

Now, every time you click on a .jpg file name or icon in MY COMPUTER,
the image will open in FastStone.

You don't delete Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You merely choose
another program to automatically open .jpg files. WP&FV is the
default.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Paul Furman

tony cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:57:03 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Two questions:
>> What does Windows use to view thumbnails? (Windows Picture & Fax Viewer???)
>> How should I have added FastoneFX to the JPG context menu anyway?
>> Can we change the Windows default thumbnail viewer to Irfanview???

> If you are in "My Computer" (XP), and you want to open a .jpg file in
> FastStone, find any image in the list of .jpgs, right click on that
> file, in the drop-down go to OPEN WITH. Choose "FSViewer" and the
> image will open in FastStone.
>
> If "FSViewer" is not on the list, and it won't be until you add it, go
> to CHOOSE PROGRAM in the drop-down, pick "FSViewer" and check the box
> that says "Always open with this program".
>
> Now, every time you click on a .jpg file name or icon in MY COMPUTER,
> the image will open in FastStone.
>
> You don't delete Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You merely choose
> another program to automatically open .jpg files. WP&FV is the
> default.

One other possibility is adding shortcuts to the "Send To" menu which
can be found here: C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Se ndTo\

What I do is set irfanview as the default then set up Alt-F-E in
irfanview to open the file in photoshop.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:05:27 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
> You don't delete Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You merely choose
> another program to automatically open .jpg files. WP&FV is the
> default.

That's the whole point. Apparently we only get four (4) slots for programs
in the short list of the Windows JPEG context menu.

The top slot is taken by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which I've never
used so I don't want WPAFV to take up the premier menu position.

If I try your method to make FastoneFX in that top-four list, it simply
kicks out one of the other three (3) programs, such as the tried and true
Irfanview! That's not what I want. I want to kick out Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer.

There must be some way to replace the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer slot
in the JPEG context menu with a useful program (such as Irfanview,
Paint.Net, FastoneFX, Exifer, etc.)

Does someone know how to remove Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from the jpg
context m

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:09:42 -0400, Lord Possum wrote:

> You get get rid of the pesky default Win Pix & Fax View by entering
> the following on a RUN Command Line, then return:
> regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

I tried that. It did all the wrong things. I had to undo it. See prior
post.

There MUST be some way to replace the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in the
JPEG context menu with Irfanview or FastoneFX or Exifer or some other
useful program, isn't there?

Paul Furman

Tom wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:05:27 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>> You don't delete Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You merely choose
>> another program to automatically open .jpg files. WP&FV is the
>> default.

> That's the whole point. Apparently we only get four (4) slots for programs
> in the short list of the Windows JPEG context menu.

I've got 11 options for 'Open With' right-clicking a jpeg.

> The top slot is taken by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which I've never
> used so I don't want WPAFV to take up the premier menu position.

It's option number 8 on my system. Maybe that's a bonus with the Vista
Ultimate edition?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

tony cooper

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:32:44 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:05:27 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>> You don't delete Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You merely choose
>> another program to automatically open .jpg files. WP&FV is the
>> default.

>That's the whole point. Apparently we only get four (4) slots for programs
>in the short list of the Windows JPEG context menu.

Look, I'm on Windows XP on a PC. What I described works. If you
can't make the same thing work, I suggest you start over and try it
again because you're leaving out a step somewhere. You are not
limited to four slots. Four are showing because your computer, as it
is set up, just recognizes four programs that open .jpgs.

>The top slot is taken by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which I've never
>used so I don't want WPAFV to take up the premier menu position.
>
>If I try your method to make FastoneFX in that top-four list, it simply
>kicks out one of the other three (3) programs, such as the tried and true
>Irfanview! That's not what I want. I want to kick out Windows Picture and
>Fax Viewer.

But you don't. You just don't want the WP&FV to be the default as it
comes in the factory setting.

You can't have *both* Irfanview and FastStone to be the default. You
can have one or the other. You can still open in anything that your
computer recognizes as a .jpg viewer, but only one can be set as the
default.

If you want Irfanview as the default, follow my instructions and pick
Irfanview. Personally, I think FastStone is better as the default
because it allows you to see thumbnails of all the images in the
folder that is opened.

You never want to "kick out" Windows-installed a program by deleting
it. You don't know what that program is linked to. Just change the
default.

Note that you are spelling "FastStone" incorrectly. I don't think
that makes a difference because it comes up "FSViewer", you may be
trying to find "Fastone" and that won't work.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida