Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Tom

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:47:48 +0100, David Catterall wrote:

>> Is there a way to manually add a new context menu item to the right click
>> on a JPEG?

> What did you dislike about the third tab in Explorer's Folder Options?

The first tab is File, the second is Edit, the third is View.
Under View, it's set to Thumbnails, Arrange Icon by Name.

I'm confused how that helps us get a new item into the JPEG right click
pulldown menu? Others seem to have as many as a dozen items in that
OpenWith submenu while mine seems to be limited to four items, one of which
is Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

David Catterall

Tom wrote:
> David Catterall wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to manually add a new context menu item to the right click
>>> on a JPEG?

>> What did you dislike about the third tab in Explorer's Folder Options?

> The first tab is File, the second is Edit, the third is View.
> Under View, it's set to Thumbnails, Arrange Icon by Name.

Tom,

I'm talking about "Folder Options" found under "Tools" in the top menu
of Explorer.

When the window stops filling with types you can quickly (three
strokes within a second) type "J P G" to highlight "JPEG Image" which
can be edited with the button marked "Advanced".

David

Tom

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:01:51 +0100, David Catterall wrote:
> "Folder Options" found under "Tools" in the top menu of Explorer.
> Highlight "JPEG Image" which can be edited with the button marked "Advanced".

This looks like the right place to be if only I can find the right keywords
to use!

My folder options have the extensions and file types as shown:
- JP2 IrfanView JP2 File
- JPC IrfanView JP2 File
- JPE JPE File
- JPEG JPEG File
- JPG JPEG Image
- JPM IrfanView JPM File

Selecting the "JPG" context menu item, the "Details for 'JPG' extension"
say it "Opens with IrfanView" but all I have is a "Change" and "Restore"
button on that "Folder Options" window. There was no "Advanced".

So I pressed "Restore" and that changed the "Restore" button to "Advanced"
(wierd huh!) and set the "Details for 'JPG' extension" to open with the
"Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". When I pressed the "Change" button to
change that from WP&FV back to IrfanView, the "Advanced" button reverted
back to a "Restore" button. Wierd. Maybe all my messing with the registry
set something somewhere somehow that is doing that.

So I hit the "Restore" button again which immediatedly turned the "Restore"
button into an "Advanced" button again. This time I pressed the "Advanced"
button and up came an "Edit File Type" form, that had three actions:
- Edit with the GIMP
- open
- printto

Hmmm... I think you helped me get close. What is the keyword to use to add
items to the openwith menu?

I tried the following:
Edit File Type -> New Action ->
- Action: openwith
- Application used to perform action:
C:\freeware\editors\fastone\FSViewer.exe

The interesting thing is this created a brand new JPG menu right-click item
called "openwith" which opened in Fastone, but it didn't add to the open
with sub menu.

Tom

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:33:12 -0700, Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:01:51 +0100, David Catterall wrote:
>> "Folder Options" found under "Tools" in the top menu of Explorer.
>> Highlight "JPEG Image" which can be edited with the button marked "Advanced".

> I tried the following:
> Edit File Type -> New Action ->
> - Action: openwith
> - Application used to perform action:
> C:\freeware\editors\fastone\FSViewer.exe

I also tried "Open With" and "open with" and "OpenWith", etc., but each one
just created an additional menu.

This is close to what is needed ... is there a keyword to get to the real
"Open With" JPG sub menu?

Tom

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:35:37 -0700, Tom wrote:

> s there a keyword to get to the real
> "Open With" JPG sub menu?

I also tried "OpenWithList" which I got from the windows registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\
Explorer\FileEx ts\.jpg\OpenWithList

But, again, that didn't add to the "Open With" list, it just created a new
entry near the top of my JPEG right click context menu which opened in the
Fastone Viewer.

So, I'm still trying to figure out HOW to add an entry to the Open With
List when I right click on a JPG in Windows explorer.

David Catterall

Tom wrote:

> I tried the following:
> Edit File Type -> New Action ->
> - Action: openwith
> - Application used to perform action:
> C:\freeware\editors\fastone\FSViewer.exe
>
> The interesting thing is this created a brand new JPG menu right-click item
> called "openwith" which opened in Fastone, but it didn't add to the open
> with sub menu.

Tom,

Let the "Open with" submenu go its own sweet way! One small change to the
above points the way to a great right-click Menu for the JPEGs:

- Action: View with Fast One <------------
- Application used to perform action:
C:\freeware\editors\fastone\FSViewer.exe

so you can now add things like

- Action: Irfan View
- Application used to perform action:
C:\freeware\editors\Irfan\Irfan.exe

to fill up your right-click menu.

It's midnight in Ireland so ...

"Nighty-night"
David

Tom

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 00:04:55 +0100, David Catterall wrote:

> Let the "Open with" submenu go its own sweet way! One small change to the
> above points the way to a great right-click Menu for the JPEGs:

Hi David,
Thank you for your help. I think I will give up (soon) on the Open With
JPEG context sub menu and just create a menu for each program I want to
use.

Meanwhile, I installed NirSoft MenuExView freeware from
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html which I'm checking out
now.

I also will try winbubble 1.73 freeware if the NirSoft MenuExView version
1.05 freeware download doesn't work.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...inBubble.shtml

Paul Furman

I don't know why you are having trouble but Vista lacks some features
earlier versions had. Here's an article about that & some utilities to
work around it:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...agement-tools/

--
Paul Furman