Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Viewing WinXP thumbnails in something other than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ('cuz it's gone)

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:57:32 -0400, Lord Possum wrote:
> Dunno what you did, but SHIMGVW.DLL is used ONLY for viewing images and
> fax images. Removing it, or disabling it as originally written does
> not do any other strange stuff. Most experienced users will have done
> away with this 'system service' a long time ago

Isn't SHIMGVW.DLL what shows thumbnail views of the JPEG files in the
Windows explorer? When I disabled SHIMGVW.DLL, I lost the ability to see
the thumbnail view in the Windows explorer.

I'd love it if I could set Irfanview or some other program to be that which
views the thumbnails in Windows explorer windows!

What do the experienced users use for viewing picture thumbnails in Windows
explorer?

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:17:46 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
>> That's the whole point. Apparently we only get four (4) slots for programs
>> in the short list of the Windows JPEG context menu.

> I've got 11 options for 'Open With' right-clicking a jpeg.

When I open with another program, it still has only 4 options.

What do I do to get another program on that option list?

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:00:44 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> You never want to "kick out" Windows-installed a program by deleting
> it. You don't know what that program is linked to. Just change the
> default.

I found out, the hard way, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the
program that displays thumbnails in the Windows explorer window .....

But, I still have only 4 options in my context menu when I right click on a
JPEG file, even though I've pointed it to open with many other programs.

What is the trick to get the context menu to show more than 4 programs?

tony cooper

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:59:27 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:00:44 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>
>> You never want to "kick out" Windows-installed a program by deleting
>> it. You don't know what that program is linked to. Just change the
>> default.

>I found out, the hard way, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the
>program that displays thumbnails in the Windows explorer window .....
>
>But, I still have only 4 options in my context menu when I right click on a
>JPEG file, even though I've pointed it to open with many other programs.
>
>What is the trick to get the context menu to show more than 4 programs?

Jeez...what are you up to now? Thirty posts on this?

Why are you talking about "right clicking"? If you follow the steps
provided to you, when you *double click* on the thumbnail, the .jpg
will open in whatever program you set as the default: Irfanview or
FastStone.

You set the default once by right clicking on any thumbnail>Open
With>Choose Program> and navigate to either Irfanview or FastStone
with Browse. Check the box marked "Always Use The Selected Program"
and all future double-clicks on thumbnails will open the .jpg in that
program.

If this doesn't work for you, ask a 9 year-old neighbor kid to do it
for you.

If it bothers you so terribly to see those thumbnails provided in
WP&FV, don't even go to Explorer. Open FastStone and go directly to
the folder using their browser. I never open Explorer to see the
thumbnails. I go direct to FastStone and have a Function Key shortcut
to FastStone. There's no reason to use Explorer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Tom

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 01:36:55 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> Why are you talking about "right clicking"?

Because I'm trying to ADD programs to the openwith list.

> when you *double click* on the thumbnail, the .jpg
> will open in whatever program you set as the default

This was NEVER the problem; the default is and always was and should be
Irfanview (because of its inherent speed).

> You set the default once by ... Check the box marked
> "Always Use The Selected Program" and all future double-clicks
> on thumbnails will open the .jpg in that program.

This always worked; doubleclick opens up in Irfanview.

> If this doesn't work for you, ask a 9 year-old neighbor
> kid to do it for you.

Everything that you are talking about was never the problem.

> If it bothers you so terribly to see those thumbnails provided in
> WP&FV, don't even go to Explorer.

That isn't the problem at all.

Hi Tony,
I thank you for trying to help but you missed the entire point as
everything you spoke about isn't the problem. The problem is merely that
the LIST of programs when I right click is limited, for some reason, to 4
programs. When I add a new program to that list, it kicks off an existing
program from that openwith list.

There must be some way to manually add a program to that list that doesn't
kick off the existing programs on that list. Do you know how?

tony cooper

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:18:23 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 01:36:55 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>
>> Why are you talking about "right clicking"?

>Because I'm trying to ADD programs to the openwith list.
>
>> when you *double click* on the thumbnail, the .jpg
>> will open in whatever program you set as the default

>This was NEVER the problem; the default is and always was and should be
>Irfanview (because of its inherent speed).
>
>> You set the default once by ... Check the box marked
>> "Always Use The Selected Program" and all future double-clicks
>> on thumbnails will open the .jpg in that program.

>This always worked; doubleclick opens up in Irfanview.
>
>> If this doesn't work for you, ask a 9 year-old neighbor
>> kid to do it for you.

>Everything that you are talking about was never the problem.
>
>> If it bothers you so terribly to see those thumbnails provided in
>> WP&FV, don't even go to Explorer.

>That isn't the problem at all.

Then what is the problem? Why do you object to the thumbnails in
Explorer being generated by WP&FV if you don't use Explorer?

>Hi Tony,
>I thank you for trying to help but you missed the entire point as
>everything you spoke about isn't the problem. The problem is merely that
>the LIST of programs when I right click is limited, for some reason, to 4
>programs. When I add a new program to that list, it kicks off an existing
>program from that openwith list.
>
>There must be some way to manually add a program to that list that doesn't
>kick off the existing programs on that list. Do you know how?

My version of Windows XP does not do this, my daughter's version does
not, and my son's version does not. I had them check.

Even if yours does, it is not "kicking off" existing programs. They
are still there but just not shown on the drop-down. I can't think of
any reason that you'd ever need to have more than one or two ways to
open a .jpg for viewing that would require that you have several
choices always in view. The list of four may not show program X, but
unless you delete program X in Control Panel or by some other step,
program X is still on your computer.

You also have a choice to go direct to editing a .jpg. That would
allow you to open a .jpg in Photoshop or PSP or whatever. Different
place on the list.

If no one here can help you, that's a pretty good indication that you
have not clearly stated the problem and what you want to accomplish,
and why you want to do it this way.

--

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:37:29 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> I can't think of any reason that you'd ever need to have more than
> one or two ways to open a .jpg

I use mainly these freeware digital photo programs:
1. Irvanview (the default) for fast viewing & cropping
2. Fastone for the nicest text and arrows
3. Paint.Net for the easiest selection and curved line editing
4. MS Paint for the simplest erase of objectionable area
5. VicMan PhotoEdit for the best freeware face touchup
6. Exifer for the easiest EXIF editing (maybe MetaEditor will replace this)
7. The Gimp for the most comprehensive editing (when needed)

Every single day I use two or three or five of these freeware programs on
pictures, often in sequence (crop & resize with Irfanview, add text with
Fastone, erase an area with the MS Paint non-freeware eraser, touchup
blemishes with PhotoEdit, modify the EXIF with Exifer or MetaEditor, etc.

I NEVER use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

All I ask is to have these five to seven programs in the openwith list when
I right click on a JPEG.

Tom

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:37:29 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> If no one here can help you, that's a pretty good indication that you
> have not clearly stated the problem and what you want to accomplish,
> and why you want to do it this way.

This is a good point. I am at fault. I will try to summarize the problem
statement.

Most of you seem to be able to control exactly which programs show up in
the openwith menu when you right click on a JPG but I seem to be limited to
four programs no matter how many times I've edited the context menus in the
Windows registry.

Is there a way to manually add a new context menu item to the right click
on a JPEG?

And, can Windows Picture and Fax Viewer really be removed without losing
the thumbnail view in the Windows explorer?

jimbo571@operamail.com

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 22:45:33 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:37:29 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>
>> If no one here can help you, that's a pretty good indication that you
>> have not clearly stated the problem and what you want to accomplish,
>> and why you want to do it this way.

>This is a good point. I am at fault. I will try to summarize the problem
>statement.
>
>Most of you seem to be able to control exactly which programs show up in
>the openwith menu when you right click on a JPG but I seem to be limited to
>four programs no matter how many times I've edited the context menus in the
>Windows registry.
>
>Is there a way to manually add a new context menu item to the right click
>on a JPEG?
>
>And, can Windows Picture and Fax Viewer really be removed without losing
>the thumbnail view in the Windows explorer?

Try using Xplorer2 lite . ( Free program - I haven`t used windows
explorer in years ) .

tony cooper

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 22:43:41 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:37:29 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any reason that you'd ever need to have more than
>> one or two ways to open a .jpg

>I use mainly these freeware digital photo programs:
>1. Irvanview (the default) for fast viewing & cropping
>2. Fastone for the nicest text and arrows
>3. Paint.Net for the easiest selection and curved line editing
>4. MS Paint for the simplest erase of objectionable area
>5. VicMan PhotoEdit for the best freeware face touchup
>6. Exifer for the easiest EXIF editing (maybe MetaEditor will replace this)
>7. The Gimp for the most comprehensive editing (when needed)
>
>Every single day I use two or three or five of these freeware programs on
>pictures, often in sequence (crop & resize with Irfanview, add text with
>Fastone, erase an area with the MS Paint non-freeware eraser, touchup
>blemishes with PhotoEdit, modify the EXIF with Exifer or MetaEditor, etc.
>
>I NEVER use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
>All I ask is to have these five to seven programs in the openwith list when
>I right click on a JPEG.

These are all programs you are using to Edit, not view, an image.
(Although two, at least, are also viewers with editing capabilities)
You haven't mentioned this before.

In Explorer, with the WP&FV thumbnail, the right-click drop-down shows
both "Edit With" and "Open With" choices. My previous steps have
dealt with the OPEN WITH because you haven't said you wanted to edit.
Try those same steps with the EDIT WITH bar. That may not restrict
you to four choices.

Also, FastStone has an EDIT WITH EXTERNAL PROGRAM in their right-click
drop-down. If you use FastStone instead of Explorer as a means to see
you thumbnails, you may be able to add the other edit programs.

I never use Explorer as my viewer. I use FastStone. It's a better
viewer since it allows you to drag images next to each other and put
both up together to compare. It also allows you to sort by tagging.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida