Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Frames in ASP.NET

Frames in ASP.NET

Mark

Hi Guys,
I am very new to ASP.NET world.
I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and another
on the right side.
I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.

I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
I am using visual studio 2005.

Thanks, Mark

Anoj

Hi Mark,

There is nothing to do with ASP.NET if you want to put frames, you can
define frames using smple HTML.
Check how to create frames here : http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_frames.asp

/Anoj
[www.TheTechHub.com]

On Jun 30, 6:35*pm, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I am very new to ASP.NET world.
> I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and another
> on the right side.
> I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.
>
> I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
> I am using visual studio 2005.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Junior

Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best way
to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine friendly.

IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset using a
Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data below it.
Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca

As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I or
others may have better suggestions

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys,
> I am very new to ASP.NET world.
> I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and another
> on the right side.
> I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.
>
> I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
> I am using visual studio 2005.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Mark

Thanks for the reply.
I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet development
environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not supported".

If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new page
on another frame without reloading the menu page.
Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.

Please help this junior developer.
Thanks, Mark.

"Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uo5C$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
> ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best
> way to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine
> friendly.
>
> IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset using
> a Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data below
> it. Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca
>
> As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I
> or others may have better suggestions
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Guys,
>> I am very new to ASP.NET world.
>> I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and
>> another on the right side.
>> I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.
>>
>> I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
>> I am using visual studio 2005.
>>
>> Thanks, Mark

Eliyahu Goldin

You don't need to put the menu into a frame. Instead, show a new page in a
iframe control.Alternatively you can look into Ajax-based solutions, depends
on your task.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply.
> I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet development
> environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not supported".
>
> If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
> As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
> I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new
> page on another frame without reloading the menu page.
> Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.
>
> Please help this junior developer.
> Thanks, Mark.
>

> "Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uo5C$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
>> ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best
>> way to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine
>> friendly.
>>
>> IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset
>> using a Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data
>> below it. Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca
>>
>> As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I
>> or others may have better suggestions
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Guys,
>>> I am very new to ASP.NET world.
>>> I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and
>>> another on the right side.
>>> I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.
>>>
>>> I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
>>> I am using visual studio 2005.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Mark

Junior

I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets. I agree
AJAX will support what is wanted by refreshing a portion og the page without
a noticeable PostBack but I also think looking at MasterPages should be
considered. I would avoid AJAX though or use very very sparingly as AJAX can
drag down performance if not used sparingly. Like iFrames and Framesets not
everything that has been created has proven to be usefull in --all--
circumstances and tends to get overused. Personally, I think trying to beat
the stateless model of the web is a no-win compromise for the same reasons.

"Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:OK7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't need to put the menu into a frame. Instead, show a new page in a
> iframe control.Alternatively you can look into Ajax-based solutions,
> depends on your task.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
> http://usableasp.net
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the reply.
>> I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet
>> development environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not
>> supported".
>>
>> If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
>> As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
>> I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new
>> page on another frame without reloading the menu page.
>> Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.
>>
>> Please help this junior developer.
>> Thanks, Mark.
>>

>> "Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uo5C$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
>>> ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best
>>> way to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine
>>> friendly.
>>>
>>> IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset
>>> using a Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data
>>> below it. Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca
>>>
>>> As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I
>>> or others may have better suggestions
>>>

>>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Scott M.

Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08 validate
against.

Generally, people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to
provide.

-Scott

"Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:elr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets. I agree
>AJAX will support what is wanted by refreshing a portion og the page
>without a noticeable PostBack but I also think looking at MasterPages
>should be considered. I would avoid AJAX though or use very very sparingly
>as AJAX can drag down performance if not used sparingly. Like iFrames and
>Framesets not everything that has been created has proven to be usefull
>in --all-- circumstances and tends to get overused. Personally, I think
>trying to beat the stateless model of the web is a no-win compromise for
>the same reasons.
>
> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:OK7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You don't need to put the menu into a frame. Instead, show a new page in
>> a iframe control.Alternatively you can look into Ajax-based solutions,
>> depends on your task.
>>
>> --
>> Eliyahu Goldin,
>> Software Developer
>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
>> http://usableasp.net
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>> I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet
>>> development environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not
>>> supported".
>>>
>>> If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
>>> As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
>>> I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new
>>> page on another frame without reloading the menu page.
>>> Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.
>>>
>>> Please help this junior developer.
>>> Thanks, Mark.
>>>

>>> "Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:uo5C$(E-Mail Removed)...

Juan T. Llibre

ere:
!> Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08 validate against.
!> people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to provide.

What happens if you use the XHTML 1.0 Frameset dtd :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

???

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08 validate against.
>
> Generally, people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to provide.
>
> -Scott
>
> "Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:elr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets. I agree AJAX will support what is wanted by
>>refreshing a portion og the page without a noticeable PostBack but I also think looking at MasterPages should be
>>considered. I would avoid AJAX though or use very very sparingly as AJAX can drag down performance if not used
>>sparingly. Like iFrames and Framesets not everything that has been created has proven to be usefull in --all--
>>circumstances and tends to get overused. Personally, I think trying to beat the stateless model of the web is a no-win
>>compromise for the same reasons.
>>
>> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OK7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You don't need to put the menu into a frame. Instead, show a new page in a iframe control.Alternatively you can look
>>> into Ajax-based solutions, depends on your task.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eliyahu Goldin,
>>> Software Developer
>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
>>> http://usableasp.net

Scott M.

You get stuck in a quagmire since it doesn't support the necessary
attributes on the various tags to make the frames actually work properly.
Not to mention that VS doesn't validate XHTML 1.0 Frameset.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ere:
> !> Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08
> validate against.
> !> people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to
> provide.
>
> What happens if you use the XHTML 1.0 Frameset dtd :
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
>
> ???
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08
>> validate against.
>>
>> Generally, people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used
>> to provide.
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>> "Junior" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:elr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets. I agree
>>>AJAX will support what is wanted by refreshing a portion og the page
>>>without a noticeable PostBack but I also think looking at MasterPages
>>>should be considered. I would avoid AJAX though or use very very
>>>sparingly as AJAX can drag down performance if not used sparingly. Like
>>>iFrames and Framesets not everything that has been created has proven to
>>>be usefull in --all-- circumstances and tends to get overused.
>>>Personally, I think trying to beat the stateless model of the web is a
>>>no-win compromise for the same reasons.
>>>
>>> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:OK7$(E-Mail Removed)...

Junior

Nobody has established why validation even matters when the browsers are so
loosey goosey anyway.
Same goes for the CSS vs Tables argument. So what?

So many websites are FUBAR and the framework generates tables when using the
controls that come from Microsoft making --most-- of the concern an exercise
in futility does it not? Where to draw the line?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

having a problem with scrolling frames as if no frames surfunbear@yahoo.com HTML 0 03-08-2006 09:54 PM
Frames and borders around specific frames meyousikmann@yahoo.com HTML 1 02-10-2006 11:12 PM
Frames or not Frames... Ale HTML 17 08-05-2005 12:10 AM
Link needed to go from a non-frames page to a Frames page, and load a particular frame. How? - Newbe Philip HTML 3 06-28-2004 03:06 PM
From Frames to no frames? Powerslave2112 HTML 2 01-20-2004 10:30 PM

Advertisments