Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How do you stop AVG?

How do you stop AVG?

~misfit~

Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you give them
the right to do what they like with your PC.

I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's something I've
been using for years that speeds up torrenting.

http://www.lvllord.de/

However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for a long
time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now I can't run
the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can click the icon in
systray and hit exit. However, when I open taskmanager there are still
several processes running that start with avg. When I highlight those and
try to stop them they instantly start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying
to exit all AVG processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it
seems I was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
active!

I don't want to have to uninstall the whole programme, then re-install and
update just to do this one thing, I just want to turn it off for a couple
minutes.

<tearing what's left of my hair out here>

Any ideas how I can stop AVG? I've killed off (or attempted to) everything
that starts with 'avg' in Task manager and yet there are still 5 processes
that re-started the second I stopped them (and one that wouldn't stop). I
have two 'avgrsx.exe's running at the moment, (both belonging to "SYSTEM",)
one using 6 MB RAM, the other 7. I also have avgwdsvc.exe, avgemc.exe and
avgui.exe running. Even as administrator I can't stop these processes.

*Malware? I'm getting increasingly annoyed at software companies using "AV"
software as a policing tool for their products. I've had 'cracks' or tools
for tweaking the innards of XP or other programmes on my HDD, for a long
time in some cases, suddenly be classed as a virus or a trojan and deleted
or not allowed to run by 'AV' software. It's like (and probably is) the
software companies involved are getting these applets included in global
definitions files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
rather than protect the user from malware.

When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start being
am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect software companies?
Do software companies pay AV companies to have patches or cracks listed as
'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use this little applet to change the
half-open connections limit on my machine rather than have to learn how to
edit the registry?

<shakes head>

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
> In article <48682115$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
>> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
>>
>> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
>> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
>> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
>>
>> http://www.lvllord.de/
>>
>> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
>> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now
>> I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can
>> click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
>> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
>> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they instantly
>> start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all AVG
>> processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it seems I
>> was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
>> active!

> It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

It re-starts instantly.

> But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
> 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
>
> (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
> to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

Ye Gods!!

After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email (they
tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the confirmation ends
up coming from) and searching the site I've been unable to find out how to
report false positives.

Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping AVG
somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Malcolm

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
> > In article <48682115$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> >> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
> >> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
> >> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
> >> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
> >>
> >> http://www.lvllord.de/
> >>
> >> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
> >> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*.
> >> Now I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I
> >> can click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
> >> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
> >> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they
> >> instantly start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all
> >> AVG processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it
> >> seems I was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus"
> >> is still active!

> > It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

> It re-starts instantly.
>
> > But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
> > 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
> >
> > (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
> > to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

> Ye Gods!!
>
> After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
> (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
> confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
> unable to find out how to report false positives.
>
> Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
> AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
>
> Cheers,

Hi Shaun
Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
will need to restart though...

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Malcolm" typed:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
>>> In article <48682115$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>> says...

>>> It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

>> It re-starts instantly.
>>
>>> But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
>>> 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
>>>
>>> (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
>>> to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

>> Ye Gods!!
>>
>> After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
>> (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
>> confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
>> unable to find out how to report false positives.
>>
>> Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
>> AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
>>
>> Cheers,

> Hi Shaun
> Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
> will need to restart though...

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though should it?

Hope you're well,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:56:04 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
>> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
>>
>> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
>> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
>> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
>>
>> http://www.lvllord.de/
>>
>> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
>> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now
>> I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can
>> click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
>> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
>> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they instantly
>> start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all AVG
>> processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it seems I
>> was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
>> active!
>>
>> I don't want to have to uninstall the whole programme, then
>> re-install and update just to do this one thing, I just want to turn
>> it off for a couple minutes.
>>
>> <tearing what's left of my hair out here>
>>
>> Any ideas how I can stop AVG? I've killed off (or attempted to)
>> everything that starts with 'avg' in Task manager and yet there are
>> still 5 processes that re-started the second I stopped them (and one
>> that wouldn't stop). I have two 'avgrsx.exe's running at the moment,
>> (both belonging to "SYSTEM",) one using 6 MB RAM, the other 7. I
>> also have avgwdsvc.exe, avgemc.exe and avgui.exe running. Even as
>> administrator I can't stop these processes.
>>
>> *Malware? I'm getting increasingly annoyed at software companies
>> using "AV" software as a policing tool for their products. I've had
>> 'cracks' or tools for tweaking the innards of XP or other programmes
>> on my HDD, for a long time in some cases, suddenly be classed as a
>> virus or a trojan and deleted or not allowed to run by 'AV'
>> software. It's like (and probably is) the software companies
>> involved are getting these applets included in global definitions
>> files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
>> rather than protect the user from malware.
>>
>> When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start
>> being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect
>> software companies? Do software companies pay AV companies to have
>> patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use
>> this little applet to change the half-open connections limit on my
>> machine rather than have to learn how to edit the registry?
>>
>> <shakes head>
>>
>> Cheers,

> See if this sucker will kill it, if AVG will let you run it, that is!
> http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php

Hehee! I'll give it a try later, thanks.
--
> [...]

>> virus or a trojan and deleted or not allowed to run by 'AV'
>> software. It's like (and probably is) the software companies
>> involved are getting these applets included in global definitions
>> files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
>> rather than protect the user from malware.
>>
>> When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start
>> being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect
>> software companies? Do software companies pay AV companies to have
>> patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use
>> this little applet to change the half-open connections limit on my
>> machine rather than have to learn how to edit the registry?
>>
>> <shakes head>
>>
>> Cheers,

> See if this sucker will kill it, if AVG will let you run it, that is!

LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2 more for
'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all, none of them are
able to stop avgrsx.exe!

Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of the
computer away from the user.
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
> In article <48682d40$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
>>> In article <48682115$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>> says...

>>> It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

>> It re-starts instantly.

> CAn you set it to disabled?

Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I can't
simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Malcolm

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:09:21 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
> > Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all,
> > you will need to restart though...

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though
> should it?
>
> Hope you're well,

Nope it shouldn't. I've never had that sort of an issue with AVG
yet....

Always hot here... averages around 32C every day at the moment and all
the wet weather seems to avoid this area. They always promise rain, but
it never happens...lol

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2 more for
> 'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all, none of them are
> able to stop avgrsx.exe!
>
> Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of the
> computer away from the user.
> --
> Shaun.

Certainly a bloody nuissance that you can't turn it off
manually. At least it should give you the option to make an
exception for [that] program in question.

Certainly also a *good* sign that you can't do it with 3rd
party software, seeing as so much malware these days targets
virus scanners and the more popular firewalls, trying to
incapacitate them. I'd consider that side of it to be a job
well done.

my $00.02's worth

-Peter

Enkidu

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Malcolm" typed:
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:

>>> It re-starts instantly.

>>> Ye Gods!!
>>>
>>> After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
>>> (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
>>> confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
>>> unable to find out how to report false positives.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
>>> AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> Hi Shaun
>> Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
>> will need to restart though...

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though should it?
>
> Hope you're well,

You should stop the *service*, not the processes!

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?