Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trying to install XP X64

Trying to install XP X64

tsartele

I just bought the XP Pro X64 software and I am trying to install it on
my PC. I am switching from XP home to X64 so I know that I will have to
format my old drive and install a fresh copy of the X64. When I try to
boot from the CD I get a weird error message. It says

"File \AMD64\NTKRNLMP.EXE COULD NOT BE LOADED
The Error code is 7"

I have a qx6600 processor.

What should I do ? Did they make a version for AMD and one for Intell
?

--
tsartele

Colin Barnhorst

The "AMD64" reference is simply the standard name for all 64bit operating
systems that have the x86 instruction set backwards compatibility. It
refers to AMD and Intel both. It is called "AMD64" because the first cpu in
the class was AMD so the honor of naming the whole class goes to AMD. The
"x86" class was named after the Intel 8086 cpu which was the first in the
long line of 32bit cpus, including AMD's, which were compatible with the
32bit intruction set we have all been using these many years.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580. It is apparently an ACPI
issue. If ACPI can be disabled in the BIOS, do so.

"tsartele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I just bought the XP Pro X64 software and I am trying to install it on
> my PC. I am switching from XP home to X64 so I know that I will have to
> format my old drive and install a fresh copy of the X64. When I try to
> boot from the CD I get a weird error message. It says
>
> "File \AMD64\NTKRNLMP.EXE COULD NOT BE LOADED
> The Error code is 7"
>
> I have a qx6600 processor.
>
> What should I do ? Did they make a version for AMD and one for Intell
> ?
>

> --
> tsartele

Charlie Russel - MVP

Colin -
I thought ACPI had to be _enabled_ for XP x64? I know that's how I run,
at least.

--
Charlie Russel
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The "AMD64" reference is simply the standard name for all 64bit operating
> systems that have the x86 instruction set backwards compatibility. It
> refers to AMD and Intel both. It is called "AMD64" because the first cpu
> in the class was AMD so the honor of naming the whole class goes to AMD.
> The "x86" class was named after the Intel 8086 cpu which was the first in
> the long line of 32bit cpus, including AMD's, which were compatible with
> the 32bit intruction set we have all been using these many years.
>
> See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580. It is apparently an ACPI
> issue. If ACPI can be disabled in the BIOS, do so.
>
> "tsartele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I just bought the XP Pro X64 software and I am trying to install it on
>> my PC. I am switching from XP home to X64 so I know that I will have to
>> format my old drive and install a fresh copy of the X64. When I try to
>> boot from the CD I get a weird error message. It says
>>
>> "File \AMD64\NTKRNLMP.EXE COULD NOT BE LOADED
>> The Error code is 7"
>>
>> I have a qx6600 processor.
>>
>> What should I do ? Did they make a version for AMD and one for Intell
>> ?
>>

>> --
>> tsartele

Colin Barnhorst

Then I'll bet he has a problem. I was going by a Google on the error and
didn't think about what you are telling me now. Sorry.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin -
> I thought ACPI had to be _enabled_ for XP x64? I know that's how I
> run, at least.
>
> --
> Charlie Russel
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The "AMD64" reference is simply the standard name for all 64bit operating
>> systems that have the x86 instruction set backwards compatibility. It
>> refers to AMD and Intel both. It is called "AMD64" because the first cpu
>> in the class was AMD so the honor of naming the whole class goes to AMD.
>> The "x86" class was named after the Intel 8086 cpu which was the first in
>> the long line of 32bit cpus, including AMD's, which were compatible with
>> the 32bit intruction set we have all been using these many years.
>>
>> See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580. It is apparently an ACPI
>> issue. If ACPI can be disabled in the BIOS, do so.
>>
>> "tsartele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I just bought the XP Pro X64 software and I am trying to install it on
>>> my PC. I am switching from XP home to X64 so I know that I will have to
>>> format my old drive and install a fresh copy of the X64. When I try to
>>> boot from the CD I get a weird error message. It says
>>>
>>> "File \AMD64\NTKRNLMP.EXE COULD NOT BE LOADED
>>> The Error code is 7"
>>>
>>> I have a qx6600 processor.
>>>
>>> What should I do ? Did they make a version for AMD and one for Intell
>>> ?
>>>

>>> --
>>> tsartele

Charlie Russel - MVP

My memory (and I've have to go read my own WPs to be sure<G>) is that ACPI
v2 needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

--
Charlie Russel
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Then I'll bet he has a problem. I was going by a Google on the error and
> didn't think about what you are telling me now. Sorry.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Colin -
>> I thought ACPI had to be _enabled_ for XP x64? I know that's how I
>> run, at least.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie Russel
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The "AMD64" reference is simply the standard name for all 64bit
>>> operating systems that have the x86 instruction set backwards
>>> compatibility. It refers to AMD and Intel both. It is called "AMD64"
>>> because the first cpu in the class was AMD so the honor of naming the
>>> whole class goes to AMD. The "x86" class was named after the Intel 8086
>>> cpu which was the first in the long line of 32bit cpus, including AMD's,
>>> which were compatible with the 32bit intruction set we have all been
>>> using these many years.
>>>
>>> See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580. It is apparently an ACPI
>>> issue. If ACPI can be disabled in the BIOS, do so.
>>>
>>> "tsartele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Carlos

Will there be a time when our memory can be upgraded so easily as a PC?
Or is it that our backup battery drains out when we sleep and we lose data
(our own memories), thus not remembering things and having to resort to
written documents?

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> My memory (and I've have to go read my own WPs to be sure<G>) is that ACPI
> v2 needs to be enabled in the BIOS.
>
> --
> Charlie Russel
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Then I'll bet he has a problem. I was going by a Google on the error and
> > didn't think about what you are telling me now. Sorry.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Colin -
> >> I thought ACPI had to be _enabled_ for XP x64? I know that's how I
> >> run, at least.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie Russel
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

I look at sleep as the human equivalent of rebooting. Whatever was in memory
is gone, it's only the long term storage that's persistent. And by the time
you get to as many hours on the storage as I have, it starts to be
unreliable.

--
Charlie.