Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoot drives me crazy.

Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoot drives me crazy.

Robert Montgomery

I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
factory settings.

Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?

After I change the batteries twice consecutively, the camera resets to
the factory settings the reset off, date, saturation, contrast, digital
zoom setting, volume, power on sound, beep and a few other settings like
that I've customized and saved in Mode Menu > Setup > My Mode Setup >
My Mode 1 or My Mode 2 or My Mode 3 or My Mode 4 > OK.

The customized setting are maintained for only changing of the batteries
once.

ASAAR

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:28:14 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

> I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
> they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
> second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
> factory settings.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?

Most likely, a small internal backup battery is malfunctioning.
If you're lucky, the camera will use a user replaceable button cell
(check your camera's manual). If not, you may have to send the
camera back to Olympus to be repaired. You may be able to avoid
this if the camera has a socket for an external power supply, which
if used while swapping batteries, might prevent the loss of your
customized settings. Another thing that *might* work would be to
connect the camera to your computer with a USB cable while changing
batteries. If this results in a smoking puddle of molten plastic
and metal, look on the bright side. This old 4mp camera was
discontinued years ago, and you should be able to get a new camera
that produces better pictures and has much better performance, for
less than you paid for the C-750.

You might even really like having a new super-zoom with a lens
that goes wider than the 38mm of your C-750. Being able to go down
to the 28mm of some of today's ultra zooms can be a big advantage at
times.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:28:14 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:
>
>> I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
>> they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
>> second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
>> factory settings.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?

> Most likely, a small internal backup battery is malfunctioning.
> If you're lucky, the camera will use a user replaceable button cell
> (check your camera's manual). If not, you may have to send the
> camera back to Olympus to be repaired. You may be able to avoid
> this if the camera has a socket for an external power supply, which
> if used while swapping batteries, might prevent the loss of your
> customized settings. Another thing that *might* work would be to
> connect the camera to your computer with a USB cable while changing
> batteries. If this results in a smoking puddle of molten plastic
> and metal, look on the bright side. This old 4mp camera was
> discontinued years ago, and you should be able to get a new camera
> that produces better pictures and has much better performance, for
> less than you paid for the C-750.

I seriously doubt any consumer camera has a user serviceable battery, they
usually use some sort of capacitor, changing it is even more difficult.
Connecting to USB is no good, camera is powered from battery anyway.
> You might even really like having a new super-zoom with a lens
> that goes wider than the 38mm of your C-750. Being able to go down
> to the 28mm of some of today's ultra zooms can be a big advantage at
> times.

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

ASAAR

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:51:32 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

> I seriously doubt any consumer camera has a user serviceable battery, they
> usually use some sort of capacitor, changing it is even more difficult.
> Connecting to USB is no good, camera is powered from battery anyway.

Then you'd be wrong, as the manufacturers have explicitly stated
in several manuals that "rechargeable batteries" are used for backup
purposes. Of course (as you say) they're not user serviceable,
which is why *most* people would need to have the cameras serviced
by either the manufacturer or by skilled a camera repair service. I
explicitly stated this, and you even quoted it. ("send the
camera back to Olympus to be repaired").

Second - I didn't say that using USB would definitely work
("Another thing that *might* work"), but that it might be worth
trying. Some of my non-camera USB devices use only their own
internal batteries, others use power from the USB port if available.
I wouldn't expect the USB port to be able to provide sufficient
power to actually take pictures, but there's a slim chance that it
might allow the main battery to be safely exchanged. I'd first try
it while the camera is powered OFF (assuming that being connected to
an active USB port doesn't automatically turn on the camera). If
that's not possible, or if it doesn't work, you could try to replace
the battery while the camera is in file transfer/PTP mode, while in
playback mode, or while in record mode, especially if the LCD is
disabled and the shutter isn't accidentally depressed.

> HTH,

That sometimes indicates smugness or not a true desire to help,
especially when what was posted wasn't particularly helpful. I'll
give you the benefit of the doubt, since unlike some of our resident
"argumentators", your replies often do try to provide help.

Steve B

"Robert Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
> they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
> second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
> factory settings.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?
>
> After I change the batteries twice consecutively, the camera resets to the
> factory settings the reset off, date, saturation, contrast, digital zoom
> setting, volume, power on sound, beep and a few other settings like that
> I've customized and saved in Mode Menu > Setup > My Mode Setup > My Mode
> 1 or My Mode 2 or My Mode 3 or My Mode 4 > OK.
>
> The customized setting are maintained for only changing of the batteries
> once.

It's a well known problem with Olympus camera from that era, it's a memory
backup capacitor that fails after a couple of years, mine's the same. An AC
adapter plugged in while changing batteries gets round the problem, any
universal one of the right voltage and polarity rated at more than 0.5A
should be OK for this purpose. The capacitor can be changed if you're
adventurous, here's a link to get you started.....
http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/750

Ofnuts

Robert Montgomery wrote:
> I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
> they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
> second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
> factory settings.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?
>
> After I change the batteries twice consecutively, the camera resets to
> the factory settings the reset off, date, saturation, contrast, digital
> zoom setting, volume, power on sound, beep and a few other settings like
> that I've customized and saved in Mode Menu > Setup > My Mode Setup >
> My Mode 1 or My Mode 2 or My Mode 3 or My Mode 4 > OK.
>
> The customized setting are maintained for only changing of the batteries
> once.

Are you using the same batteries each time or do you have two sets, and
if so, is the loss of setting linked to one specific set?

How long does the camera remain without the batteries?

--
Bertrand

Steve B

"Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:486756ba$0$26307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Montgomery wrote:
>> I'm able to store customized settings of my Olympus C0750 Ultra Zoom and
>> they last for one battery change. When I change my batteries for the
>> second time, the customized settings are lost and they revert to the
>> factory settings.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is the camera malfunctioning?
>>
>> After I change the batteries twice consecutively, the camera resets to
>> the factory settings the reset off, date, saturation, contrast, digital
>> zoom setting, volume, power on sound, beep and a few other settings like
>> that I've customized and saved in Mode Menu > Setup > My Mode Setup > My
>> Mode 1 or My Mode 2 or My Mode 3 or My Mode 4 > OK.
>>
>> The customized setting are maintained for only changing of the batteries
>> once.

> Are you using the same batteries each time or do you have two sets, and if
> so, is the loss of setting linked to one specific set?
>
> How long does the camera remain without the batteries?
>
> --
> Bertrand

If it's the usual C750 problem, it forgets everything you've set in the
menus if good batteries are taken out even just for a couple of seconds.

Bob Parker

On 2/07/2008 03:32 Steve B wrote:

> If it's the usual C750 problem, it forgets everything you've set in the
> menus if good batteries are taken out even just for a couple of seconds.

Yep, the memory's held up by a little 'super capacitor' which dies
after a few years. Then the camera reverts to factory defaults the
moment the batteries are disconnected. It happened to both my Olympus
C-350 and C-740.
Luckily those capacitors are fairly easy to get and I'm an
electronics technician so I was able to successfully fix both cameras.

Bob