Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > background image making scroll bars appear

background image making scroll bars appear

Bob

Here is a page:

http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroyer/possible.html

If you view this page at 1024px, there are scroll bars. I do not these
scroll bars to appear. What can I do to stop them appearing? Please
disregard the Geocities banner.

If you view the page at 1126px, the scroll bars go.

The 1px wide background image needs to be repeated across the full width of
the page.

Cheers,

Bob.

Travis Newbury

On Jun 28, 8:19*am, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroyer/possible.html
> If you view this page at 1024px, there are scroll bars. I do not these
> scroll bars to appear. What can I do to stop them appearing? Please
> disregard the Geocities banner.

Make the image smaller.

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

> On Jun 28, 8:19*am, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroyer/possible.html
>> If you view this page at 1024px, there are scroll bars. I do not these
>> scroll bars to appear. What can I do to stop them appearing? Please
>> disregard the Geocities banner.

> Make the image smaller.

It's a background image, and it has no influence on the width of the
elements. The OP's problem is that he has the paragraph set to 1024px
width, which is too wide if the window is 1024px wide, since there are
2 more frames in the picture. (plus the borders of the window itself).
Also, he's set the parent div of that paragraph to be 1126px wide,
which fits even less inside a 1024px window.

To the OP: if you don't want the scrollbars, don't set widths. Just
don't set them at all, divs and paragraphs will automatically fill up
the available width by themselves.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Travis Newbury

On Jun 28, 9:15*am, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Make the image smaller.

> It's a background image, and it has no influence on the width of the
> elements.

My bad, I didn't look that close.

Bob

> Why specify width if you want it to extend the full page width no matter
> which screen size?

Yes but the gradient image
http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroy...ge_1126x30.jpg must
appear.

Bob.

Els

Bob wrote:

>> Why specify width if you want it to extend the full page width no matter
>> which screen size?

> Yes but the gradient image
> http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroy...ge_1126x30.jpg must
> appear.

Appear, yes. Fit, no. Obviously.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Bob

So in other words it is not possible without making the page 1126px wide?
Unless you set the body tag to include the 1126px wide background image?

Cheers,

Bob.

Els

Bob wrote:

> So in other words it is not possible without making the page 1126px wide?

I don't think that's what I said.
What I said, was that you should *not* set any width.
Background images will show regardless of the width of the element.
Just, of course a smaller part of it if the element is smaller than
the image. Why don't you just try it out? Remove all widths from your
CSS file, and see your problem disappear.

> Unless you set the body tag to include the 1126px wide background image?

Background images don't have to be on the body element. They can be
set on a div just fine.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Bob

> Remove all widths from your
> CSS file, and see your problem disappear.

I did, and the gradient image:
http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroy...ge_1126x30.jpg
didn't appear.

Cheers,

Bob.

Els

Bob wrote:

>> Remove all widths from your
>> CSS file, and see your problem disappear.

> I did, and the gradient image:
> http://www.geocities.com/pathdestroy...ge_1126x30.jpg
> didn't appear.

Right. I did not know that your "gradient" image would have a large
white nothing in the middle. I bet the image does appear, you just
don't recognize its white part as being your gradient image.

Seriously now, that particular image, 1126px wide, of which the middle
1024px (I'm just guessing, didn't measure it) are white nothingness,
how in the world would you want that to be visible inside a window
that is 1024px wide?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/