Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Linux voip client for Asus EEE PC?

Linux voip client for Asus EEE PC?

cybuerke

"Mark Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> cybuerke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> A comprehensive list of what's available here:
>> http://www.voipnow.org/2008/06/the-d...nux-users.html

> On the "client" side this list isn't comprehensive. Obvious omissions
> being zoiper and kiax.

Why is it that some people feel the need to nitpick in public?

comĚpreĚhenĚsive (-hen'siv)

adjective

1.. dealing with all or many of the relevant details; including much;
inclusive a comprehensive survey

Lobster

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:25:51 +0100, Lobster
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> I've downloaded the .tar installation file, clicked on it, and it seemed
>>> to install and run itself, whereupon I entered my personal settings (for
>>> Sipgate). I was then able to make a phone call (more of that below).
>>> However, when I closed down Zoiper, it seemed to vanish completely -
>>> whered'it go? I eventually opened the .tar file again (to re-install
>>> it?) which I did (I think) and found my settings already in place.
>>> What's going on?

>> I run it from a command window, opened with CTRL-ALT-T.
>> In my case it's been copied to /opt/zoiper, so I just type ./zoiper
>>from that directory which has the executable file in it.
>> If it's on the disk you can locate it by typing this into the command
>> window:
>>
>> cd / ; find | grep zoiper

Took me 5 mins to generate a | character on the notebook keyboard...!
It just generated a list of about 10 directories, all followed by
"Permission denied". No mention of anything that would suggest where
Zoiper is hiding.

> From the "there's more than one way to do it" department:
>
> locate zoiper

....locatedb: No such file or directory

> or
> find / -name zoiper

Same result as the grep method...

Gave up on that - opened zoiper again and presumably reinstalled it yet
again from the .tar file. Found "advanced network settings" where
there are (according to the manual:

"Signaling QoS/DSCP
There are 12 AF (Assured Forwarding) values, one EF (Expedited
Forwarding) and one default (----) value. AF is a method of providing
low packet loss within a given traffic rate while this could affect
latency. EF is a defined behavior that asks for low-delay, low-jitter,
low-loss service."

Whatever the hell all that means. There are no other settings that I
can see to tweak.

Anyway, tried a range of EF and AF settings, none of which made the
slightest difference to the breaking up.

So, dumped that and just tried installing X-lite. Seem to have installed
it in My Documents, but hey... and at least it looks familiar from my XP
days.

I open it up from within File Manager, and open the configuration
window. I start entering the settings, and then 10 secs later the whole
x-lite app just vanishes before I've entered the data, and I'm left
staring at the desktop! Where the hell did it it go? I can't alt-tab
to it as in good old XP; it's not minimised to the taskbar; but if I
open Task Manager I can see I've got umpteen processes called
xtensoftphone all open, so presumably I'm now running multiple instances
of xlite. Somewhere.

I'm afraid my life's too short for much more of this... Windows is going
on as soon as I can get hold of a copy!

David

TheFug

The Mandriva 2008.1 version is also custom made for out of the box EEE PC

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Mark

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:03:11 +0100, Lobster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>So, dumped that and just tried installing X-lite. Seem to have installed
>it in My Documents, but hey... and at least it looks familiar from my XP
>days.
>
>I open it up from within File Manager, and open the configuration
>window. I start entering the settings, and then 10 secs later the whole
>x-lite app just vanishes before I've entered the data, and I'm left
>staring at the desktop! Where the hell did it it go? I can't alt-tab
>to it as in good old XP; it's not minimised to the taskbar; but if I
>open Task Manager I can see I've got umpteen processes called
>xtensoftphone all open, so presumably I'm now running multiple instances
>of xlite. Somewhere.

I did give you a really big big clue about X-lite on the EEEPC

>I'm afraid my life's too short for much more of this... Windows is going
>on as soon as I can get hold of a copy!

I think you'll regret it.

Iain

Lobster wrote:

> I'm afraid my life's too short for much more of this... Windows is going
> on as soon as I can get hold of a copy!

That would be a stupid thing to do. Be careful to have a backup so you
can get back.

You'd be better off learing how unix works.