Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > frame grabber hardware

Reply
Thread Tools

frame grabber hardware

 
 
rubbishemail@web.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2008
Hello,


can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

Thank you

Daniel
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dan Stromberg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2008
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:22:29 -0700, rubbishemail wrote:

> Hello,
>
>
> can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video input
> that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just want to get
> the image into a file, no special requirements.
>
> Thank you
>
> Daniel


I'm not familiar with hardware framegrabbers, but you might consider
something like VMware as an alternative. It'll allow you to do
screenshots too, without any extra hardware (OK, it needs a machine with
enough disk and RAM).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
>input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
>want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.


There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
Logitech makes a bunch. Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
do it. The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

Are you looking for something more industrial?
--
Tim Roberts, (E-Mail Removed)
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
rubbishemail@web.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2008
On Jun 29, 11:36*pm, Tim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
> >input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
> >want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

>
> There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
> Logitech makes a bunch. *Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
> do it. *The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.
>
> Are you looking for something more industrial?

I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
I want to acquire the images by a python software, which is running
the experiment.
For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.



Daniel
 
Reply With Quote
 
MRAB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2008
On Jun 30, 8:07*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jun 29, 11:36*pm, Tim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > >can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
> > >input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
> > >want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

>
> > There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
> > Logitech makes a bunch. *Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
> > do it. *The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

>
> > Are you looking for something more industrial?

>
> I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
> only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
> I want to acquire the images by a python *software, which is running
> the experiment.
> For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
> can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.
>
> Daniel


Do you mean something like this?

Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvT8JQ7NzI

I have no idea whether it would be suitable, but it's a start!
 
Reply With Quote
 
rubbishemail@web.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2008

> Do you mean something like this?
>
> Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvT8JQ7NzI


this would be suitable, if it had a documented driver, some sites said
it could only be used with the included
software. many bad comments, though:
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...92978&start=40


I found this library
http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
which may be useful to others



I will probably go for a TWAIN enabled grabber like
http://www.zarbeco.com/usb_videolink.htm
and use
twainmodule.sourceforge.net/

An alternative would be to use directshow, which seems to be supported
by many cameras:
http://directpython.sourceforge.net/index.html

thanks for your input

Daniel
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exit Grabber Plus Outstanding Bonuses !!! xmanclick4 Python 0 02-14-2010 07:05 AM
Help with an AV Grabber Caught NZ Computing 4 12-11-2009 08:00 AM
Re: Good frame grabber from mpeg? hummingbird Digital Photography 2 08-05-2008 08:23 PM
NNTP Image Grabber usr12 Perl Misc 0 07-10-2003 12:33 AM



Advertisments