Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > strcmp, please help me understand this

strcmp, please help me understand this

Eberhard Schefold

Marcus wrote:

> thanks for the help guys, seriously. i'm just trying to point out,
> that communication is a lot easier when the listener tries to
> understand the meaning behind things, rather than dismissing the
> entirety if an i wasn't dotted or a t wasn't crossed. i think yall get
> what i'm saying... or did i miss an apostophe somewhere?

These guys were trying to help you, and they can't if you don't tell
them what the problem is. The misunderstanding is on your own part if
you regard this as nitpicking. They were asking what the problem is,
since your initial code obviously was not apt to demonstrate the problem.

If a stranger came to you on the street and asked you "Where's Zelig
Street?", and you're answering "There is no Zelig Street here, are you
sure you got the right name?", and he started complaining over your
manners, that you're not listening, etc., what would you think?

Marcus

On Jun 30, 3:38*am, Eberhard Schefold <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Marcus wrote:
> > thanks for the help guys, seriously. i'm just trying to point out,
> > that communication is a lot easier when the listener tries to
> > understand the meaning behind things, rather than dismissing the
> > entirety if an i wasn't dotted or a t wasn't crossed. i think yall get
> > what i'm saying... or did i miss an apostophe somewhere?

> These guys were trying to help you, and they can't if you don't tell
> them what the problem is. The misunderstanding is on your own part if
> you regard this as nitpicking. They were asking what the problem is,
> since your initial code obviously was not apt to demonstrate the problem.
>
> If a stranger came to you on the street and asked you "Where's Zelig
> Street?", and you're answering "There is no Zelig Street here, are you
> sure you got the right name?", and he started complaining over your
> manners, that you're not listening, etc., what would you think?

I was clear. I asked what I wasn't understanding about how strcmp
works, specifically with char*'s. I gave an example using foo, but
flubbed a quote and print instead of printf. No one until AFTER I
quipped that those were nitpicky errors tried to actually answer my
question. It IS nitpicking, just like it would be nitpicking for me to
say that Mike makes no sense because he accidently used f002 instead
of foo2... it's stupid for me to INTENTIONALLY not try and understand
what he's saying about using string's instead of char*'s. I looked
past the error and understood what he was trying to say, this is how
basic communication works with simple subjects. If you want to make
things COMPLICATED and TENSE, then yea, pretending you don't
understand is the right way to go about things.

Your analogy isn't what happend, more like, the stranger asked where
zelig street was with a thick Mexican accent, and I answered, "learn
how to speak english, i can't understand you"... even though I know
exactly what he was saying... it's just, well, any Mexican who can't
pronunciate perfectly shouldn't be in this country, right?

Jerry Coffin

In article <ad4e6803-e381-4a5d-b4d7-ed1554319df3
@g16g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

[ ... ]

> I was clear. I asked what I wasn't understanding about how strcmp
> works, specifically with char*'s. I gave an example using foo, but
> flubbed a quote and print instead of printf. No one until AFTER I
> quipped that those were nitpicky errors tried to actually answer my
> question. It IS nitpicking, just like it would be nitpicking for me to
> say that Mike makes no sense because he accidently used f002 instead
> of foo2...

While it's (sort of) true that what they did was mostly nitpicking,
doing so was a lot more reasonable than you seem to realize. In
particular, even if it looked like nitpicking, it pointed out a much
more fundamental problem with your post.

Your question _should_ have been accompanied by complete, compilable
code that demonstrates the problem. That, however, is only meaningful
when/if we're sure that what we're looking at is _precisely_ the same
code that you're having a problem with. The fact that you had print
instead of printf shows that what you posted was NOT precisely the same
as the code you were dealing with -- and it's impossible for us to be
certain that something on the same order (e.g. another typo) wasn't the
source of the real problem.

As such, when you post a problem like this, it's important that you cut
and paste or insert the text of the code directly from the file you
tried to compile, or something on that order. Retyping the code into the
article (which is quite apparently what you did) when you post it may
easily fix the problem you had in the first place, and/or may easily
leave out the part that really caused the problem you were experiencing
(which is what seems to have happened here).

--
Later,
Jerry.

Lionel B

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:51:51 -0700, Marcus wrote:

> On Jun 30, 3:38*am, Eberhard Schefold <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Marcus wrote:
>> > thanks for the help guys, seriously. i'm just trying to point out,
>> > that communication is a lot easier when the listener tries to
>> > understand the meaning behind things, rather than dismissing the
>> > entirety if an i wasn't dotted or a t wasn't crossed. i think yall
>> > get what i'm saying... or did i miss an apostophe somewhere?

>> These guys were trying to help you, and they can't if you don't tell
>> them what the problem is. The misunderstanding is on your own part if
>> you regard this as nitpicking. They were asking what the problem is,
>> since your initial code obviously was not apt to demonstrate the
>> problem.

[...]

> I was clear. I asked what I wasn't understanding about how strcmp works,
> specifically with char*'s. I gave an example using foo, but flubbed a
> quote and print instead of printf. No one until AFTER I quipped that
> those were nitpicky errors tried to actually answer my question.

As I see it, it turned out that -- modulo your nitpicky errors -- the
problem *wasn't* in the code fragment you showed us. If you had made the
basic effort to construct a complete, minimal, compilable, program as per
the FAQ for this ng:

then you would have immediately spotted this for yourself and wouldn't
have had to post here at all!

--
Lionel B

Eberhard Schefold

Marcus wrote:

> I was clear. I asked what I wasn't understanding about how strcmp
> works, specifically with char*'s. I gave an example using foo, but
> flubbed a quote and print instead of printf. No one until AFTER I
> quipped that those were nitpicky errors tried to actually answer my
> question. It IS nitpicking, just like it would be nitpicking for me to
> say that Mike makes no sense because he accidently used f002 instead
> of foo2...

That your code didn't compile was the clear indication that you were not
even presenting the actual offending code snippet, let alone the
compilable minimal example that is recommended in such cases. That's
what people were trying to tell you. They can't help you find a solution
if you don't give them the problem. There was (and still is) no way to
extrapolate the problem from what you posted.

> Your analogy isn't what happend,

Right! It's more like "Tell me where Zigzag-whatever Street is. I have
the exact name in my notebook but I can't be bothered to look it up and
tell you. --- (People used to be a lot friendlier in this neighborhood.
Nobody listens anymore.)"