Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mozilla 3 has proper zooming, and here's a tip how to set it up.

Mozilla 3 has proper zooming, and here's a tip how to set it up.

Peter Huebner

I don't know if this is news or not, but Mozilla Firefox 3 is
available for download.

I more or less found this out by accident, trying to google on
a firefox plugin or such that would allow zooming the whole
page rather than just text size which often led to problems.

Firefox 3 has this feature. Since getting a new monitor I had
been using Opera 9 because it scales the whole page, rather
than just text like the old Firefox. Unfortunately, Opera 9
just shat itself on my computer. Tabbing no longer works in any
predictable fashion. Even after more than two months I still
don't feel that navigation in Opera is as easy as it was in
Firefox. So I was looking to see if I could return to Firefox.

The problem however was, that each and every tab on Firefox 3,
as it installed, opened at 100%zoom level, and there's no
visible way of changing this in the preferences, in fact
there's not even any visible indication what zoom level you're
at, that I've been able to discover, unlike Opera.

I finally remembered the about:config page in Firefox. And
there, right at the very bottom, are two settings:
max.zoom.level and min.zoom.level.
I set min.zoom.level to 130, and restarted the browser. Voila,
problem solved! All pages now open in a size that I can read
easily.

-P.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 02:21:53 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Peter Huebner wrote:

> I more or less found this out by accident, trying to google on
> a firefox plugin or such that would allow zooming the whole
> page rather than just text size which often led to problems.

I have been using the K-Meleon browser which has had
'proper' zooming for some time. (In fact you get a
choice to: zoom page, zoom text, zoom images).

K-Meleon also uses the Gecko rendering engine, like Firefox.

Gordon

On 2008-06-27, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't know if this is news or not, but Mozilla Firefox 3 is
> available for download.

Yep, old news

> I finally remembered the about:config page in Firefox. And
> there, right at the very bottom, are two settings:
> max.zoom.level and min.zoom.level.
> I set min.zoom.level to 130, and restarted the browser. Voila,
> problem solved! All pages now open in a size that I can read
> easily.

From what I read this afternoon, this works on a site by site basis. One
site maybe 130% , another 120% say. So that the text is the right size
for the user.

Version 3 has just wandered onto the viewing field, stretched and blended
into the background. No hype in sight. Still then again by all accounts
version 3 is just better. It is faster, does not leak memory and has some
things the user might notice.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, -rf-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 02:21:53 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Peter Huebner wrote:
>
> > I more or less found this out by accident, trying to google on
> > a firefox plugin or such that would allow zooming the whole
> > page rather than just text size which often led to problems.

> I have been using the K-Meleon browser which has had
> 'proper' zooming for some time. (In fact you get a
> choice to: zoom page, zoom text, zoom images).
>
> K-Meleon also uses the Gecko rendering engine, like Firefox.

Going to have a look at it. Firefox 3 by default first still
displays a page at 100%, I have to zoom once to get it started
zooming <sigh>. I'd like to make a suggestion to them about
this, but the last time I tried to contact them .... lets just
say I ended up very frustrated, trying to work through THAT
warren.

B.t.w. Opera has come right after a computer reset. Ha!

-P.