Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

Sparky

Tom wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Sparky wrote:
>> What are you using to determine the data that's not being exported? I
>> ask because I'm doing the same tests here and images from my Canon S410
>> (similar to the S500) have, literally, more than 120 tags that aren't
>> seen by MetaEditor when examined with exiv2 or exifprobe.

> Good point. I was just doing a cursory inspection using Irfanview
> performing a visual "diff". I did NOT run any programatic comparisons.
>
> Your test is much more extensive than mine.
>
> BTW, you bring up an excellent point. If we really wish to look at Exif
> metadata, WHICH Windows freeware programs spit out the COMPLETE Exif
> information data set?

That's been my contention all along. If you want even the smallest
chance of just seeing all the metadata modern cameras store in an image
you probably need to go right to the manufacturer. And even then you
can't be sure.

The most thorough free software I've seen so far is ExifProbe. That's
comparing its output to what I can dig out with a hex editor. And I
still see odd stuff that I know isn't image data because I can strip it
completely out and not affect the image itself. Your guess is as good as
mine what's hidden in there. So far I haven't been able to make sense of
it at all. Seems like random garbage. If I were the paranoid type I'd
say it even looks a little like some sort of hash value. Stuff just
seems to "line up" on certain notable boundaries (64 bytes, 128, etc.).

The bottom line is, I don't think the OP is going to be able to forge
EXIF data with any real success. If you strip out all the "odd" stuff
people will ask questions about what happened to it. The cameras that
don't include all that crap don't take 12Mp images. It just won't fit.
If you resize/crop/whatever, that's going to be obvious too. And in my
opinion rooting out all the telltale metadata is going to be an
impossible task. Someone will eventually find something and the game is
up.

> Do we know that ExifProbe and Exif2 spit out ALL the Exif metadata?

Just to be nit picky it's exiv2 not ...f2, but no, I'm almost positive
they do not. I'd probably bet cash money on it, especially with my late
model Nikon DSLR's.

David Remley Photography

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:02:25 -0500, l v wrote:

> I have used it Image::ExifTool extensively for years while downloading
> from my card reader - for both reading and writing of EXIF and IPTC data.

The only windows proggie I know of that exports all, and I mean all, Exif
information, is Exif Harvester
http://forrestcroce.com/Software/ExifHarvester.html

Exif Harvester is pretty simple to use - you drag-and-drop ( or just open )
files and folders, then it'll read the most important exif data, like the
shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensativity level, what program mode ( Av,
Tv, M, P ) you used and whether there was any exposure compensation, and
the focal length.

Exif Harvester freeware writes this out as csv, xml, or html, so you can
analyze your shooting habits in Excel, Access, or whatever you're
comfortable with.