Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

EXIF Info

Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
freeware?

Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)

There must be a combination of freeware out there that allows export of
exif information, text editing, and then import of the resultant file.

There must be someone out there smart enough to figure this out (smarter
than me, that's for sure, 'cuz I can't find a way to do it).

In a related thread (on freeware editing of EXIF data), it was mentioned
that some programs can export XML which can then be editited and imported
back in - but I tried every suggested program and can not accomplish the
simple task.

Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?

If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

Ofnuts

EXIF Info wrote:
> Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
> freeware?

There is even software to do it directly without the intermediate
text/XML. Google it.

> Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)

I know.

> If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

My mom agrees with you.

--
Bertrand

Dan Cline

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:53:31 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

>> Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
>> file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
>> into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?

> No, but the Exiftool docs seem to make it possible.

You have to be careful here. Exiftool imports only what it exported.
You can't edit the intermediary file.

AFIK, to answer the OP, there isn't any tool that will import a file that
you previously edited. They don't want to risk the crashes so they will
only import exactly what they exported.

Dan Cline

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

>> How did you do it?

> My mom agrees with you.

Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.

If there were, someone would say so.

The reason no tool will read in an edited exif text file is because the
tool developers don't want to risk the inevitable crashes that would occur.

All exif editing tools will only edit their own proprietary binary files
and then read in only their own binary exif information.

It would be nice if there were an exif standard but there isn't.

Dave

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:26:15 -0700, Dan Cline wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
>
>>> How did you do it?

>> My mom agrees with you.

> Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.
>
> If there were, someone would say so.

There is such in Linux, but I'll let the OP search for it himself as he
seems bent on nefarious ways that the photography world can do without.
(or trying to scam personals sites with false info as he mentioned).

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770
Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a

Ofnuts

Dan Cline wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
>
>>> How did you do it?

>> My mom agrees with you.

> Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.
>
> If there were, someone would say so.

There is at least one...

> The reason no tool will read in an edited exif text file is because the
> tool developers don't want to risk the inevitable crashes that would occur.

Changing the Exifs in a file is no more complicated that rewriting them
together with a modified version of the picture (PS, PSP, GIMP...)

> All exif editing tools will only edit their own proprietary binary files
> and then read in only their own binary exif information.

Something which is ignored by the author of the software I just used. Of
course he is not using binary files to export the exifs, he uses XML.
And as a software developer myself, I can tell you that playing with
exifs is ridiculously easy compared to writing a working JPEG
encoder/decoder from scratch, for instance.

> It would be nice if there were an exif standard but there isn't.

There is a standard for the core stuff (http://www.exif.org/, and in
particular http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF). This format defines 1) how
data items are stored, so anyone can come up with tags for his own
purpose, and 2) a common set of core tags (standard enough for the
Windows explorer to use it (check the columns you can use in a "details"
view)). Of course camera makers have added their own extensions and they
may even use different extensions depending on model.

Reading/writing this data isn't difficult, even if the software doesn't
know what the purpose of a given tag would be (and so could not display
a human-friendly name). In fact anyone familiar with binary editors can
patch up the data quite easily since most of it is fixed-length.

--
Bertrand

Bill

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:16:22 -0700, EXIF Info <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
>freeware?
>
>Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)
>
>There must be a combination of freeware out there that allows export of
>exif information, text editing, and then import of the resultant file.
>
>There must be someone out there smart enough to figure this out (smarter
>than me, that's for sure, 'cuz I can't find a way to do it).
>
>In a related thread (on freeware editing of EXIF data), it was mentioned
>that some programs can export XML which can then be editited and imported
>back in - but I tried every suggested program and can not accomplish the
>simple task.
>
>Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
>file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
>into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?
>
>If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

The freeware "Exifer" should do what you want.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html

HTH
Bill

Tom

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:29:07 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

> anyone familiar with binary editors can
> patch up Exif data quite easily since most of it is fixed-length

There is no software extant that imports Exif information from a text file.

Tom

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:53:31 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

>> Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
>> file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
>> into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?
>>
>> If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

> No, but the Exiftool docs seem to make it possible.

The Exiftool docs merely state you can COPY the Exif information to the
Windows clipboard or you can export the Exif information to a proprietary
binary format.

The latter can be read back but the former editable form can not.

If it could, someone would have said so.

Tom

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:51:30 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

> And yes it is relatively easy (for a programmer) to
> write Exif data into an image file from a text file.
> Virtually every image editing program does it!

Name one.