Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Recommendations for WPA hardware?

Recommendations for WPA hardware?

Jim

Hi-

My father would like me to set up a wireless network for him. I have
just been reading an article at tomshardware about the FBI managing to
crack 128bit WEP in just over 3 minutes using publically available
software, which I thought rather worrying ...

(see here for article:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php )

Anyway, could anyone help me select some hardware for him please? After
reading that article, I would like to be able to use at least WPA-PSK
(with a strong key).

He currently has a USB ADSL modem.

I would like to get a proper network ADSL modem for him, a wireless
router, and a wireless PCMCIA card for his notebook.

I'd be more than happy to get a combined modem/wireless router as well.

Could anyone recommend some good hardware please? Any manufacturers to
avoid/prefer?

Also, I'm assuming that XP has no issues with WPA. Am I right about
this?

Any suggestions or comments very gratefully accepted. I'd like to
ensure my father has as safe a system as possible.

Also, if anyone knows any good articles describing how best to secure
wireless networks, would be very interested in the urls...

Thanks

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

WPA is supported by all current 802.11g Wireless sold by the major brands. (D-Link,
Netgear, Buffalo, Linksys, SMC, Belkin, etc.)

May be this can Help.

Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

And if you need extra security for you Network.

Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi-
>
> My father would like me to set up a wireless network for him. I have
> just been reading an article at tomshardware about the FBI managing to
> crack 128bit WEP in just over 3 minutes using publically available
> software, which I thought rather worrying ...
>
> (see here for article:
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php )
>
> Anyway, could anyone help me select some hardware for him please? After
> reading that article, I would like to be able to use at least WPA-PSK
> (with a strong key).
>
> He currently has a USB ADSL modem.
>
> I would like to get a proper network ADSL modem for him, a wireless
> router, and a wireless PCMCIA card for his notebook.
>
> I'd be more than happy to get a combined modem/wireless router as well.
>
> Could anyone recommend some good hardware please? Any manufacturers to
> avoid/prefer?
>
> Also, I'm assuming that XP has no issues with WPA. Am I right about
> this?
>
> Any suggestions or comments very gratefully accepted. I'd like to
> ensure my father has as safe a system as possible.
>
> Also, if anyone knows any good articles describing how best to secure
> wireless networks, would be very interested in the urls...
>
> Thanks

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

For an added bonus you can use the link below to search for devices that
have passed WiFi-Alliance certification testing:

http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/cert...ucts.asp?TID=2

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> WPA is supported by all current 802.11g Wireless sold by the major brands.
> (D-Link,
> Netgear, Buffalo, Linksys, SMC, Belkin, etc.)
>
> May be this can Help.
>
> Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

> WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
>
> And if you need extra security for you Network.
>
> Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi-
>>
>> My father would like me to set up a wireless network for him. I have
>> just been reading an article at tomshardware about the FBI managing to
>> crack 128bit WEP in just over 3 minutes using publically available
>> software, which I thought rather worrying ...
>>
>> (see here for article:
>> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php )
>>
>> Anyway, could anyone help me select some hardware for him please? After
>> reading that article, I would like to be able to use at least WPA-PSK
>> (with a strong key).
>>
>> He currently has a USB ADSL modem.
>>
>> I would like to get a proper network ADSL modem for him, a wireless
>> router, and a wireless PCMCIA card for his notebook.
>>
>> I'd be more than happy to get a combined modem/wireless router as well.
>>
>> Could anyone recommend some good hardware please? Any manufacturers to
>> avoid/prefer?
>>
>> Also, I'm assuming that XP has no issues with WPA. Am I right about
>> this?
>>
>> Any suggestions or comments very gratefully accepted. I'd like to
>> ensure my father has as safe a system as possible.
>>
>> Also, if anyone knows any good articles describing how best to secure
>> wireless networks, would be very interested in the urls...
>>
>> Thanks

Jim

thanks for Jack and Jerry's feedback. Now is anyone willing to
recommend or warn against any particular manufacturers/products?

I'm still wondering about a combined adsl modem/router as well...

Thanks for any replies

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
I would not recommend getting a Combo.
The Router part of the combo is most of the time Not as Good as Stand alone Router.
The combo restrict your flexibility of Network configuration.
Beside being in one plastic box (instead of two) there is no other advantage in combo.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> thanks for Jack and Jerry's feedback. Now is anyone willing to
> recommend or warn against any particular manufacturers/products?
>
> I'm still wondering about a combined adsl modem/router as well...
>

> Thanks for any replies

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

I'm using a D-Link DI-784 dual band a/g router that has WPA-Personal.
I mention it frequently in my Expert Zone columns. MS has blessed it
for XBOX and Media Center 2005.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist