Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How can we see pc1

How can we see pc1

quitono

pc1 (named as Tomboy) which has a printer attached to it is connected (wired)
to the router while pc2 named Cat) is a remote pc. Both pc1 and pc2
(wirelessly) can go internet and I can also print from pc2.
To get access to PC1 (XP) , I log in my user name "Tom" and password "xyz"
pc2 is also an XP machine

What must I do if I want pc2 to see pc1 (Tomboy) and get access to Tomboy.
Your guidance much appreciated. Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Have you enable file sharing on PC1? If yes, can you see pc1 using this
command net view \\pc1ipaddress?
How to enable windows sharing
How to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a
workgroup or domain network is for all ... Domain network sharing -
Macintosh file sharing ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"quitono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> pc1 (named as Tomboy) which has a printer attached to it is connected
> (wired)
> to the router while pc2 named Cat) is a remote pc. Both pc1 and pc2
> (wirelessly) can go internet and I can also print from pc2.
> To get access to PC1 (XP) , I log in my user name "Tom" and password "xyz"
> pc2 is also an XP machine
>
> What must I do if I want pc2 to see pc1 (Tomboy) and get access to Tomboy.
> Your guidance much appreciated. Thanks

MarkSatterfield MarkSatterfield is offline
Member
Location: Central Florida

From your email, PC2 can see PC1, since you can print from PC2 to PC1.

So what are you trying to do? Share files?

Check on your firewall as well. For example, Zone Alarm will block file sharing in the default configurations I've encountered.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

Last edited by MarkSatterfield; 06-27-2008 at 03:37 PM..

quitono

Many thanks for pointing to the web page, where probably the best written
instructions that I have read. Its plain simple and easy to understand. Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you enable file sharing on PC1? If yes, can you see pc1 using this
> command net view \\pc1ipaddress?
> How to enable windows sharing
> How to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a
> workgroup or domain network is for all ... Domain network sharing -
> Macintosh file sharing ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "quitono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > pc1 (named as Tomboy) which has a printer attached to it is connected
> > (wired)
> > to the router while pc2 named Cat) is a remote pc. Both pc1 and pc2
> > (wirelessly) can go internet and I can also print from pc2.
> > To get access to PC1 (XP) , I log in my user name "Tom" and password "xyz"
> > pc2 is also an XP machine
> >
> > What must I do if I want pc2 to see pc1 (Tomboy) and get access to Tomboy.
> > Your guidance much appreciated. Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Thank you for the feedback.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"quitono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many thanks for pointing to the web page, where probably the best written
> instructions that I have read. Its plain simple and easy to understand.
> Thanks
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Have you enable file sharing on PC1? If yes, can you see pc1 using this
>> command net view \\pc1ipaddress?
>> How to enable windows sharing
>> How to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a
>> workgroup or domain network is for all ... Domain network sharing -
>> Macintosh file sharing ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "quitono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > pc1 (named as Tomboy) which has a printer attached to it is connected
>> > (wired)
>> > to the router while pc2 named Cat) is a remote pc. Both pc1 and pc2
>> > (wirelessly) can go internet and I can also print from pc2.
>> > To get access to PC1 (XP) , I log in my user name "Tom" and password
>> > "xyz"
>> > pc2 is also an XP machine
>> >
>> > What must I do if I want pc2 to see pc1 (Tomboy) and get access to
>> > Tomboy.
>> > Your guidance much appreciated. Thanks

quitono

From your link, I was able to set my "shared' printing going but have to xome
back to bug you again as my mind is a bit blank at the moment. Quote from
your response " Have you enable file sharing on PC1? If yes, can you see pc1
using this command net view \\pc1ipaddress? ' How do we do that.?
Do you mean when I click My Computer> "user documnet folder" which is
already shared and I have also make this folder 'SYSCLEAN' shared. If so,
how/where do we use/type this command quote ' net view \\pc1ipaddress? '
Sorry for the trouble,thanks