Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > need help, wireless to wireless pc bridge?

need help, wireless to wireless pc bridge?

captain knobs

Hi Gang, i have a problem and ther is SO much information out there
about networking that i cannot apparently find the right keywords to
search on what i want to do. I have a high gain directional antenna
that is accessing a free hotspot about 1/2 mile away. My phone
provider will not hook us up to DSL or anything faster than 56k
(connecting at 28k-yuck ) so again there is a free hotspot about 1/2
mile away. Basically i live in the sticks.. I am connected to that
hotspot via my usb transciever +directional antenna and its connected
to the desktop. It works great and now I have a newer laptop that i
would also like to share this internet connection but am totally
unaware of how to do it. I have another USB wifi dongle that i could
connect to the desktop for in house lan, or i can connect the 2 via
ethernet. Which ever is easier is the route i want to go but need
steering into the right direction so that both may use the internet.

thanks --eric

Do not rely to my email address listed, its a fake for spammers.

Phillip Windell

The first thing I would try it to see if there is a way to connect the HG
Antenna to a wireless "router",...or if there are similar HG Antennas that
can be purchased as assessories for the "router".

There are also Satelite based Internet connection servicesvia Direct TV,
Dish Network, and a few others and they would run at about "low end"
broadband speeds above 256k but below 1mbps.

If that isn't possible then add the other Wireless nic to the Laptop and
configure an Ad hoc network between this laptop and the other using this
second Nic. Then you would enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
wireless adapter with the HG Antenna. Sounds like a "hack" to me and I
doubt it would be dependable, but as far as I know that would be the
approach.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"captain knobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gang, i have a problem and ther is SO much information out there
> about networking that i cannot apparently find the right keywords to
> search on what i want to do. I have a high gain directional antenna
> that is accessing a free hotspot about 1/2 mile away. My phone
> provider will not hook us up to DSL or anything faster than 56k
> (connecting at 28k-yuck ) so again there is a free hotspot about 1/2
> mile away. Basically i live in the sticks.. I am connected to that
> hotspot via my usb transciever +directional antenna and its connected
> to the desktop. It works great and now I have a newer laptop that i
> would also like to share this internet connection but am totally
> unaware of how to do it. I have another USB wifi dongle that i could
> connect to the desktop for in house lan, or i can connect the 2 via
> ethernet. Which ever is easier is the route i want to go but need
> steering into the right direction so that both may use the internet.
>
> thanks --eric
>
> Do not rely to my email address listed, its a fake for spammers.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In order to share the connection you need a Wireless Router.
To be able to feed the Router WAN (Internet port) from your remote Wireless
source you need to plug a Wireless Card that does not need Drivers (Game Box
type of Wireless Card).
Get a card that can be fitted with your current High Gain Antenna configure
it to feed a Wireless Router. Plug or use the Wireless for you computers.
Example for a card,
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1134692497433
(I do not know about the Antenna fit check it, otherwise all major vendor
offers Wireless like this).
This page describes in principle Wireless Bridging,
http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The first thing I would try it to see if there is a way to connect the HG
> Antenna to a wireless "router",...or if there are similar HG Antennas that
> can be purchased as assessories for the "router".
>
> There are also Satelite based Internet connection servicesvia Direct TV,
> Dish Network, and a few others and they would run at about "low end"
> broadband speeds above 256k but below 1mbps.
>
> If that isn't possible then add the other Wireless nic to the Laptop and
> configure an Ad hoc network between this laptop and the other using this
> second Nic. Then you would enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on
> the wireless adapter with the HG Antenna. Sounds like a "hack" to me and
> I doubt it would be dependable, but as far as I know that would be the
> approach.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> Microsoft,
>

> "captain knobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Gang, i have a problem and ther is SO much information out there
>> about networking that i cannot apparently find the right keywords to
>> search on what i want to do. I have a high gain directional antenna
>> that is accessing a free hotspot about 1/2 mile away. My phone
>> provider will not hook us up to DSL or anything faster than 56k
>> (connecting at 28k-yuck ) so again there is a free hotspot about 1/2
>> mile away. Basically i live in the sticks.. I am connected to that
>> hotspot via my usb transciever +directional antenna and its connected
>> to the desktop. It works great and now I have a newer laptop that i
>> would also like to share this internet connection but am totally
>> unaware of how to do it. I have another USB wifi dongle that i could
>> connect to the desktop for in house lan, or i can connect the 2 via
>> ethernet. Which ever is easier is the route i want to go but need
>> steering into the right direction so that both may use the internet.
>>
>> thanks --eric
>>
>> Do not rely to my email address listed, its a fake for spammers.

captain knobs

Thanks for the suggestions but here is another part to my delima. THe
usb transciever is a ALFA high output. I have it mounted at the
directional antenna on the roof and then am using a usb active cable
to extend my usb connection into my house. i really don t want to
change my usb device. are there not any solutions for having the
desktop connected to the wifi and pass the net connection thru the
ethernet or pass it to another local wifi dongle to rebroadcast inside
the home?

Thanks again for your time -eric

MarkSatterfield MarkSatterfield is offline
Member
Location: Central Florida

As a previous poster listed, you should be able to enable ad-hoc wireless networking on your desktop and laptop, then use Connection Sharing in Windows to enable pass through routing from your desktop to the remote ad-hoc devices.

Also, you may consider re-engineering your infrastructure by attaching a Linksys Range Expander or wireless repeater. In this case, put the Range Expander on a tall antenna mount and provide power to the unit. The repeater will then relay the single to wireless computers in your home -- and in your neighbor's homes. Cost is around $100.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

Last edited by MarkSatterfield; 06-27-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Lem

captain knobs wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions but here is another part to my delima. THe
> usb transciever is a ALFA high output. I have it mounted at the
> directional antenna on the roof and then am using a usb active cable
> to extend my usb connection into my house. i really don t want to
> change my usb device. are there not any solutions for having the
> desktop connected to the wifi and pass the net connection thru the
> ethernet or pass it to another local wifi dongle to rebroadcast inside
> the home?
>
> Thanks again for your time -eric

If I can restate your question slightly:

- You have the Internet connection on a USB cable and do not want to
change this.
- The USB cable currently is connected to a desktop.
- You'd like a laptop to be able to share the Internet connection.

With a USB source, your only option is to use Windows Internet
Connection Sharing (unless you find a wireless router with a USB WAN
input, but I don't think such devices exist). It's not as flexible as
using a router, but if you insist on retaining the USB connection to the
antenna, that's what you have. Essentially, you will be using the
desktop as a router, and thus the laptop will only be able to access the
Internet while the desktop is powered up and active.

Usually, ICS is used for a wired local network, using a second Ethernet
NIC (or, in your case, a first NIC because your Internet connection is
USB). If you *really* want wireless to the laptop, you can either add a
wireless NIC to your desktop and create an ad hoc wireless link, as
Phillip Windell suggested or you can connect the desktop's wired NIC to
a wireless access point. For the latter, see Jack's site for how to
configure a wireless router as a wireless access point:
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

For general ICS information, see
http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

--