Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Portable C++ GUI framework

Reply
Thread Tools

Portable C++ GUI framework

 
 
Ioannis Vranos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Victor Bazarov wrote:
>
> While you received
> some good answers describing the existing *cross-platform* GUI toolkits
> (there seems to be about four of them), I would strongly recommend
> asking in the newsgroups for the platforms to which you want to port
> your application. It is very likely there are only three platforms that
> you're interested in (Windows, Unix, Linux), maybe four (add MacOS). So,
> pick one of the toolkits and post your questions about it to the online
> forum it already undoubtedly has. You would get much more useful
> information there than here.



I think you do not mean something like asking about C++ portable GUI
frameworks on a Windows user forum for example. May you clarify?

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Oswald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Jon wrote:
> wxWidgets
> also implements what are called "pluggable" event handlers which allow
> you to construct the event handler tables for an object at run time
> and is actually quite clean.


Ah, didn't know that. Well, I personally haven't used wxWidgets, just
had to debug some code with it.

> The strangest thing about the whole
> event handling system is the use of member function pointers which
> bypass the type system when the bound functions happen to be declared
> virtual leading to occasionally unexpected results.


Good to know.
I have to use mostly the commercial ILOG Views which uses the old system
of pointers to extern C declared functions which then redirect to a
member call which is not really not better at all.



lg,
Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Oswald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Using macros is only one of two methods, the other is connecting event
> handlers programmatically with an event handler (for example, a window).


Yup, as said in another post, I didn't know that.

> GTKmm is, well, GTK. Probably not of much use outside of the X11
> universe, especially if you have users expecting your application to
> look&work like a native one. WxWidgets uses native widgets where applicable.


That's quite right. I work most of the time under Linux/Unix, so this is
not an issue for me, but of course for the OP.

Another point is the GUI builder tools. Compared with QT's designer or
ILOGs Studio, GTK-GLADE is somehow poor. Don't know, if there is
something comparable available for wxWidgets, with exception of the
wxSmith plugin for Code::Blocks.


lg,
Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ioannis Vranos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Victor Bazarov wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>>> While you received
>>> some good answers describing the existing *cross-platform* GUI toolkits
>>> (there seems to be about four of them), I would strongly recommend
>>> asking in the newsgroups for the platforms to which you want to port
>>> your application. It is very likely there are only three platforms that
>>> you're interested in (Windows, Unix, Linux), maybe four (add MacOS). So,
>>> pick one of the toolkits and post your questions about it to the online
>>> forum it already undoubtedly has. You would get much more useful
>>> information there than here.

>>
>>
>> I think you do not mean something like asking about C++ portable GUI
>> frameworks on a Windows user forum for example. May you clarify?

>
> I can clarify, I think. Ask not in the Windows *user* forum, but ask in
> the Windows *programming* forum. Or in the Linux *programming* forum.



Is there any Windows programming forum not dedicated on any specific
product, like VC++, Borland C++, VC#, etc?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthias Buelow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Michael Oswald wrote:

> Another point is the GUI builder tools. Compared with QT's designer or
> ILOGs Studio, GTK-GLADE is somehow poor. Don't know, if there is
> something comparable available for wxWidgets, with exception of the
> wxSmith plugin for Code::Blocks.


Dialogblocks, but it's payware (free trial version available, tho). It
isn't entirely bad.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas J. Gritzan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Ioannis Vranos schrieb:
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>> I think you do not mean something like asking about C++ portable GUI
>>> frameworks on a Windows user forum for example. May you clarify?

>> I can clarify, I think. Ask not in the Windows *user* forum, but ask in
>> the Windows *programming* forum. Or in the Linux *programming* forum.

>
>
> Is there any Windows programming forum not dedicated on any specific
> product, like VC++, Borland C++, VC#, etc?


comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
or another group in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*

--
Thomas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ioannis Vranos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Thomas J. Gritzan wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos schrieb:
>> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>> I think you do not mean something like asking about C++ portable GUI
>>>> frameworks on a Windows user forum for example. May you clarify?
>>> I can clarify, I think. Ask not in the Windows *user* forum, but ask in
>>> the Windows *programming* forum. Or in the Linux *programming* forum.

>>
>>
>> Is there any Windows programming forum not dedicated on any specific
>> product, like VC++, Borland C++, VC#, etc?

>
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32



I suppose this is for the C Win32 API.


> or another group in
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*



comp.os.ms-windows.programmer looks suitable enough. But it appears
abandoned.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ioannis Vranos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Thomas J. Gritzan wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos schrieb:
>>> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>>>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>>> I think you do not mean something like asking about C++ portable GUI
>>>>> frameworks on a Windows user forum for example. May you clarify?
>>>> I can clarify, I think. Ask not in the Windows *user* forum, but ask in
>>>> the Windows *programming* forum. Or in the Linux *programming* forum.
>>>
>>> Is there any Windows programming forum not dedicated on any specific
>>> product, like VC++, Borland C++, VC#, etc?

>> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

>
>
> I suppose this is for the C Win32 API.
>
>
>> or another group in
>> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*

>
>
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer looks suitable enough. But it appears
> abandoned.



I posted to some Usenet programming groups.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Noah Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I think this is on topic here, because it is about C++ and available
> portable C++ GUI frameworks.
>
>
> I am looking for a decent portable C++ (meaning C++ API, not C) GUI
> framework that works both on Linux and Windows, so as to study and learn
> it. That is, there should be at least one good decent book about it.
>
>
> One option is QT. QT licensing however, is to pay for the QT framework,
> for running non GPL applications on Windows.
>
> Does anyone know any decent (like QT) portable C++ GUI framework for
> Linux and Windows with good documentation (books) available?


wxWidgets
 
Reply With Quote
 
R.A. Nagy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
>
> From a quick look, QT4 on Linux has a decent designer. Not like C++
> Builder on Windows of course.
>


I've used the QT designer. Worked okay, but I agree: It was stone tools and
axes when compared to even C++Builder 5 / 6. (Still looking forward to
testing the new CodeGear stuff - The free copy of Studio 2006 still sits on
my shelf in shrink wrap - just do not have the time to play with the new
toys... 'specially when they fail to reload their old project formats -
(gotta love outsourcing to newbies - but you go you exeCUTive
quality-cutters, go! )

But enough of my carping -

I liked the Qt signal / slot paradigm, but when I went to QT4 the need to
#ifdef everything to get "old code" to work left me cold. Better an new
namespace than breaking those public "contracts" ... !

Oh well, I hope Nokia will have better luck keeping the Qt Namespace from
doing that EVER again... IMO that was a sure sign of poor educational
choices!

>< (fingers crossed)


Of course NetBeans has a decent GUI designer for Java. Mayhaps they will
extend it as their newfound support for C++ evolves? Even a JNI scaffolding
to support AWT under C++ would be welcome: An instant cross-platform
minimalist GUI for C++!

(Are you listening, Sun??)

Same thing for DevC++; The add-on library support is impressive, but a cool
cross platform UI designer would be hot++.


R.A. Nagy
http://www.Soft9000.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Portable library to create GUI intefaces ? Öö Tiib C++ 1 07-23-2010 12:59 AM
Portable library to create GUI intefaces ? Timothy Madden C++ 10 07-22-2010 06:50 AM
ActivePython - how to configure portable framework? balzer Python 1 05-08-2010 03:34 PM
Portable Python - free portable development environment ! perica.zivkovic@gmail.com Python 7 01-13-2007 11:19 AM
portable (VHDL) vs. non-portable (altera LPM) approaches to signed computations Eli Bendersky VHDL 1 03-01-2006 02:43 PM



Advertisments