Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When Is A Visaster Service Pack Not A Service Pack?

Reply
Thread Tools

When Is A Visaster Service Pack Not A Service Pack?

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
Microsoft has released a "performance and reliability update" for Vista
users who can't or won't install SP1. Now in its turn, there is
a "performance and reliability update" for Vista users who DID install SP1.

So what makes a "performance and reliability update" NOT a "service pack"?
Does the "performance and reliaility update" turn SP1 into SP1a, or perhaps
SP1.1 or SP1.01? And for those who didn't install SP1, are they now SP0.1?

Why wouldn't/couldn't they install SP1 anyway? Surely after going all the
way from XP to Vista, could a teentsy weentsy service pack really be all
that scary?

<http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/06/25/performance-and-reliability-update-for-vista-sp1-released>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Will Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:36:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> could a teentsy weentsy service pack really be all that scary?


No.

-ws
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
write:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:36:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> could a teentsy weentsy service pack really be all that scary?

>
> No.


So why do we need a "performance and reliability update" for Visaster users
who won't install SP1, then?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Will Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:11:55 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
> write:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:36:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> could a teentsy weentsy service pack really be all that scary?

>>
>> No.

>
> So why do we need a "performance and reliability update" for Visaster users
> who won't install SP1, then?


It was already available months before SP1 came out.

-ws
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
In article <8jj3n90tpngq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
write:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:11:55 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
>> write:
>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:36:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>
>>>> could a teentsy weentsy service pack really be all that scary?
>>>
>>> No.

>>
>> So why do we need a "performance and reliability update" for Visaster
>> users who won't install SP1, then?

>
> It was already available months before SP1 came out.


No, it was released two months after SP1
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/05/15/performance-and-reliability-update-for-vista-rtm-released>.

So the question again: why?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cima
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008

>On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:36:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>


Why do you care, it's not like you'll ever touch it. Unless you're like those
anti-porn protesters who despise it but can't keep away from it - just to inform
everyone how "bad" it is of course, nudge nudge....




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visaster SP1 Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 22 04-10-2008 11:16 AM
Visaster Ultimate Rip-Off Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 02-13-2008 08:38 PM
Dutch Demand Free Visaster Downgrade Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 10-14-2007 08:22 AM
Visaster->XP downgrades get easier Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 37 10-01-2007 10:14 PM
pack 'C3U*' not same as pack 'C3(xC)*' Alexander Farber Perl Misc 2 06-23-2005 05:20 PM



Advertisments