Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > help!!! cant get 2 pc's on a wireless network to share anything!

help!!! cant get 2 pc's on a wireless network to share anything!

=?Utf-8?B?eG1hdHQwOTI2eA==?=

hello. i have a desktop and a new laptop hooked up to a wireless network
using a linksys wireless router. Both pc's are running XP Home. They both
connect to the network fine and can both access the internet wirelessly, but
i'm having problems getting these pc's to share files. ive run the network
wizard, set the shared file folders up to allow sharing and it still isnt
happening. when i go into network places on my desktop and then click on
"view workgroup computers, it shows the correct pc names for both pc's, but
when I click onto the laptop name i get the following message.."\\(pc name)
is not accessible. you may not have permission to use this network resource.
The network path was not found".

Now when i go into network places on my laptop and click on "view workgroup
pc's" it wont show either of the pc names and I get the error message
"(workgroup name) is not accessible. you might not have permission to use
this resource. Contact administrator to find out. The list of servers for
this workgroup is not currently available".
By the way, I did correctly set up the workgroup name and the pc names. Im
obviously missing a step or 4 here. I have no clue at all. im not trying t
set up some complicated network, just 2 pc's able to share files and a
printer and internet access. If anyone might be able to point me in the
right direction I would be extremely grateful. please help!!

=?Utf-8?B?Tmlj?=

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem you have. When you figure out a solution,
or hear of anything, can you let me know??

Thanks in advance
Nic

"xmatt0926x" wrote:

> hello. i have a desktop and a new laptop hooked up to a wireless network
> using a linksys wireless router. Both pc's are running XP Home. They both
> connect to the network fine and can both access the internet wirelessly, but
> i'm having problems getting these pc's to share files. ive run the network
> wizard, set the shared file folders up to allow sharing and it still isnt
> happening. when i go into network places on my desktop and then click on
> "view workgroup computers, it shows the correct pc names for both pc's, but
> when I click onto the laptop name i get the following message.."\\(pc name)
> is not accessible. you may not have permission to use this network resource.
> The network path was not found".
>
> Now when i go into network places on my laptop and click on "view workgroup
> pc's" it wont show either of the pc names and I get the error message
> "(workgroup name) is not accessible. you might not have permission to use
> this resource. Contact administrator to find out. The list of servers for
> this workgroup is not currently available".
> By the way, I did correctly set up the workgroup name and the pc names. Im
> obviously missing a step or 4 here. I have no clue at all. im not trying t
> set up some complicated network, just 2 pc's able to share files and a
> printer and internet access. If anyone might be able to point me in the
> right direction I would be extremely grateful. please help!!

JoeT

Do you have windows firewall enabled on these machines and if so do you have
an exception defined to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing? I believe
the wizard sets up that exception by default but it's a thought.

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have exactly the same problem you have. When you figure out a solution,
> or hear of anything, can you let me know??
>
> Thanks in advance
> Nic
>
> "xmatt0926x" wrote:
>
>> hello. i have a desktop and a new laptop hooked up to a wireless network
>> using a linksys wireless router. Both pc's are running XP Home. They
>> both
>> connect to the network fine and can both access the internet wirelessly,
>> but
>> i'm having problems getting these pc's to share files. ive run the
>> network
>> wizard, set the shared file folders up to allow sharing and it still isnt
>> happening. when i go into network places on my desktop and then click on
>> "view workgroup computers, it shows the correct pc names for both pc's,
>> but
>> when I click onto the laptop name i get the following message.."\\(pc
>> name)
>> is not accessible. you may not have permission to use this network
>> resource.
>> The network path was not found".
>>
>> Now when i go into network places on my laptop and click on "view
>> workgroup
>> pc's" it wont show either of the pc names and I get the error message
>> "(workgroup name) is not accessible. you might not have permission to use
>> this resource. Contact administrator to find out. The list of servers for
>> this workgroup is not currently available".
>> By the way, I did correctly set up the workgroup name and the pc names.
>> Im
>> obviously missing a step or 4 here. I have no clue at all. im not trying
>> set up some complicated network, just 2 pc's able to share files and a
>> printer and internet access. If anyone might be able to point me in the
>> right direction I would be extremely grateful. please help!!

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uZmlyZQ==?=

I also have the exact same problem. Has anyone gotten this to work for them?

"JoeT" wrote:

> Do you have windows firewall enabled on these machines and if so do you have
> an exception defined to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing? I believe
> the wizard sets up that exception by default but it's a thought.
>

> "Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I have exactly the same problem you have. When you figure out a solution,
> > or hear of anything, can you let me know??
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Nic
> >
> > "xmatt0926x" wrote:
> >
> >> hello. i have a desktop and a new laptop hooked up to a wireless network
> >> using a linksys wireless router. Both pc's are running XP Home. They
> >> both
> >> connect to the network fine and can both access the internet wirelessly,
> >> but
> >> i'm having problems getting these pc's to share files. ive run the
> >> network
> >> wizard, set the shared file folders up to allow sharing and it still isnt
> >> happening. when i go into network places on my desktop and then click on
> >> "view workgroup computers, it shows the correct pc names for both pc's,
> >> but
> >> when I click onto the laptop name i get the following message.."\\(pc
> >> name)
> >> is not accessible. you may not have permission to use this network
> >> resource.
> >> The network path was not found".
> >>
> >> Now when i go into network places on my laptop and click on "view
> >> workgroup
> >> pc's" it wont show either of the pc names and I get the error message
> >> "(workgroup name) is not accessible. you might not have permission to use
> >> this resource. Contact administrator to find out. The list of servers for
> >> this workgroup is not currently available".
> >> By the way, I did correctly set up the workgroup name and the pc names.
> >> Im
> >> obviously missing a step or 4 here. I have no clue at all. im not trying
> >> set up some complicated network, just 2 pc's able to share files and a
> >> printer and internet access. If anyone might be able to point me in the
> >> right direction I would be extremely grateful. please help!!

Carl DaVault [MSFT]

I found these on the web:

http://www.chicagotech.net/security....ork%20resource

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.h...not_accessible

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0....sageID=1017807

Hope this helps. Most of the suggestions in the links seem fairly
reasonable.

-Carl

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Dragonfire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I also have the exact same problem. Has anyone gotten this to work for
>them?
>
> "JoeT" wrote:
>
>> Do you have windows firewall enabled on these machines and if so do you
>> have
>> an exception defined to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing? I
>> believe
>> the wizard sets up that exception by default but it's a thought.
>>

>> "Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > I have exactly the same problem you have. When you figure out a
>> > solution,
>> > or hear of anything, can you let me know??
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > Nic

=?Utf-8?B?aW5zYW5pZ3R5?=

I am in the same situation. I thought I was going crazy until I came to this
site and saw others are going through the same thing.