Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Tony was right again!

Tony was right again!

Carlos

One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to the
latest version in case of strange troubles.
I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs memory
stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
And that was it!
Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
Carlos

Tony Sperling

Thanks , Carlos!

It may not be all that often, but Freewheeling and Hipshooting do really
catch some of those tricky errors - the fixes you will not find in the
books!

Actually, looking for these updates is usually the first thing I do with a
new system. Info on precisely what has been updated is often extremely vague
but the dates are there and if considerable time has passed, I go ahead and
flash the damned thing!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to

the
> latest version in case of strange troubles.
> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs

memory
> stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
> 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
> And that was it!
> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
> Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, I agree.

Another thing that can happen with memory, btw, is simply a lack of voltage
when they're all there. This can often be fixed by tweaking the voltage up
just a bit in the BIOS. I've got an ASUS A8V-vm that used to run 4 sticks
just fine, but now won't. But since it's my Windows Home Server box, it's
fine with 2 GB so I've left it alone.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks , Carlos!
>
> It may not be all that often, but Freewheeling and Hipshooting do really
> catch some of those tricky errors - the fixes you will not find in the
> books!
>
> Actually, looking for these updates is usually the first thing I do with a
> new system. Info on precisely what has been updated is often extremely
> vague
> but the dates are there and if considerable time has passed, I go ahead
> and
> flash the damned thing!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to

> the
>> latest version in case of strange troubles.
>> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs

> memory
>> stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
>> 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
>> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
>> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
>> And that was it!
>> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
>> Carlos

Carlos

Charlie,
I resorted to do the flashing after having tried the usual tricks:
1.- Increment memory voltage
2.- Decrease from DDR2-667 to DDR2-533
3.- Memory timings
None of those could prevent the BSOD.
After the flashing everything is back to normal.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yes, I agree.
>
> Another thing that can happen with memory, btw, is simply a lack of voltage
> when they're all there. This can often be fixed by tweaking the voltage up
> just a bit in the BIOS. I've got an ASUS A8V-vm that used to run 4 sticks
> just fine, but now won't. But since it's my Windows Home Server box, it's
> fine with 2 GB so I've left it alone.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks , Carlos!
> >
> > It may not be all that often, but Freewheeling and Hipshooting do really
> > catch some of those tricky errors - the fixes you will not find in the
> > books!
> >
> > Actually, looking for these updates is usually the first thing I do with a
> > new system. Info on precisely what has been updated is often extremely
> > vague
> > but the dates are there and if considerable time has passed, I go ahead
> > and
> > flash the damned thing!
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to

> > the
> >> latest version in case of strange troubles.
> >> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs

> > memory
> >> stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
> >> 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
> >> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
> >> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
> >> And that was it!
> >> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
> >> Carlos

BP

Carlos expressed precisely :
> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to the
> latest version in case of strange troubles.
> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs memory
> stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
> 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
> And that was it!
> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
> Carlos

Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

Tony Sperling

With HP, you are actually lucky, because if you visit their home site you
can type your product name and number into the search-box and it will take
you to the correct place where there are (or isn't?) updates waiting for
you.

As an alternative - when your machine is booting, the first thing that
appears on your screen is the name and BIOS number of the graphics card -
the next thing that displays will usually be the CPU and memory and BIOS
info of your machine and if you want to look for updates you go to the
manufacturers site and see what they have. Most times, when you buy someting
new, it is at least six months old and updated system drivers and BIOS's are
likely to be available. But if you are not having any trouble with the
machine or the OS, then you may want to wait, many updates concerns specific
hardware that you may not have anyway. HP don't issue a lot of BIOS
updates - it is my understanding that they make a considerable effort to do
it right the first time. My HP notebook is three years old now and there has
been one single update that I wanted, in that time.

If there are things you don't like about a HP machine, it is not likely to
go away with an update - it is probably associated with the particular
philosophy by which HP build their products.

Tony. . .

"BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlos expressed precisely :
> > One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to

the
> > latest version in case of strange troubles.
> > I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs

memory
> > stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
> > 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
> > 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
> > His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
> > And that was it!
> > Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
> > Carlos

> Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
> find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
> can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
> HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

Carlos

BP,
In addition to Tony's wise and comprehensive comments you may also want to
download and run (no installation needed) this very small freeware utility:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
It is called CPU-Z.
Once you run it, go to the "Mainboard" tab and you will find the information
you are asking for.
Carlos

"BP" wrote:

> Carlos expressed precisely :
> > One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to the
> > latest version in case of strange troubles.
> > I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs memory
> > stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
> > 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
> > 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
> > His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
> > And that was it!
> > Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
> > Carlos

> Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
> find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
> can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
> HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

BP

I like my HP. Having used it for 6 months I'm sorry I didn't get the
larger monitor, but it's a sweetheart. Oh, and sometimes I wish I had
waited for another 6 months because the machine now being sold is
faster, etc. But I recall having waited another six months before
getting this one so I'd get a faster, etc. machine. Oh Well.

And thank you for the information. I've checked the HP site and there
are no new updates for the computer. You've also solved a minor puzzle
for me. I can see white text on the screen during the boot process,
but it's never on long enough to read and I've wondered what it said.
I still can't read it, but at least I have an idea what the subject
matter is.

Tony Sperling has brought this to us :
> With HP, you are actually lucky, because if you visit their home site you
> can type your product name and number into the search-box and it will take
> you to the correct place where there are (or isn't?) updates waiting for
> you.
>
> As an alternative - when your machine is booting, the first thing that
> appears on your screen is the name and BIOS number of the graphics card -
> the next thing that displays will usually be the CPU and memory and BIOS
> info of your machine and if you want to look for updates you go to the
> manufacturers site and see what they have. Most times, when you buy someting
> new, it is at least six months old and updated system drivers and BIOS's are
> likely to be available. But if you are not having any trouble with the
> machine or the OS, then you may want to wait, many updates concerns specific
> hardware that you may not have anyway. HP don't issue a lot of BIOS
> updates - it is my understanding that they make a considerable effort to do
> it right the first time. My HP notebook is three years old now and there has
> been one single update that I wanted, in that time.
>
> If there are things you don't like about a HP machine, it is not likely to
> go away with an update - it is probably associated with the particular
> philosophy by which HP build their products.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carlos expressed precisely :
>>> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to
>>> the latest version in case of strange troubles.
>>> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs
>>> memory stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista
>>> x64). 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
>>> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
>>> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
>>> And that was it!
>>> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
>>> Carlos

>> Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
>> find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
>> can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
>> HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

BP

Carlos - Thanks for cite to CPU-Z. The program looks to be just the
one I'm after. And thanks to for the other post about making Flash
work on the 64 bit version of IE. Some sites don't seem to realize it's
installed, but that's a different issue.

After serious thinking Carlos wrote :
> BP,
> In addition to Tony's wise and comprehensive comments you may also want to
> download and run (no installation needed) this very small freeware utility:
> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
> It is called CPU-Z.
> Once you run it, go to the "Mainboard" tab and you will find the information
> you are asking for.
> Carlos
>
> "BP" wrote:
>
>> Carlos expressed precisely :
>>> One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to
>>> the latest version in case of strange troubles.
>>> I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs
>>> memory stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista
>>> x64). 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
>>> 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
>>> His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
>>> And that was it!
>>> Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
>>> Carlos

>> Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
>> find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
>> can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
>> HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

Tony Sperling

You are right, the Boot Screen text messages are wizzing by rather quickly,
but usually the messages that identifies the BIOS info stays long enough to
be read - among other things, the brief pause give you an option to press
<F2> or <DEL> or whatever it happens to be, to access the BIOS Setup
utility - if you want to write down some of the information, you can enter
the BIOS at this stage and all the version information can be read from
inside!

Don't make changes that you don't understand what they are for - but you can
safely turn off support for devices that you know you don't have! Notebooks
often do not have a lot of options so probably better to leave it alone, but
it is absolutely safe to go inside and read - then <F10>, and you are back
out again!

Or, as an alternative - your monitor probably eats a few seconds to light
up, so you can give the machine the 'three-finger' (Ctrl+Alt+Del) if you've
missed anything and after the re-boot you'll find it is easier to read some
of that stuff since the screen has already been activated.

Tony. . .

"BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I like my HP. Having used it for 6 months I'm sorry I didn't get the
> larger monitor, but it's a sweetheart. Oh, and sometimes I wish I had
> waited for another 6 months because the machine now being sold is
> faster, etc. But I recall having waited another six months before
> getting this one so I'd get a faster, etc. machine. Oh Well.
>
> And thank you for the information. I've checked the HP site and there
> are no new updates for the computer. You've also solved a minor puzzle
> for me. I can see white text on the screen during the boot process,
> but it's never on long enough to read and I've wondered what it said.
> I still can't read it, but at least I have an idea what the subject
> matter is.
>
> Tony Sperling has brought this to us :
> > With HP, you are actually lucky, because if you visit their home site

you
> > can type your product name and number into the search-box and it will

take
> > you to the correct place where there are (or isn't?) updates waiting for
> > you.
> >
> > As an alternative - when your machine is booting, the first thing that
> > appears on your screen is the name and BIOS number of the graphics

card -
> > the next thing that displays will usually be the CPU and memory and BIOS
> > info of your machine and if you want to look for updates you go to the
> > manufacturers site and see what they have. Most times, when you buy

someting
> > new, it is at least six months old and updated system drivers and BIOS's

are
> > likely to be available. But if you are not having any trouble with the
> > machine or the OS, then you may want to wait, many updates concerns

specific
> > hardware that you may not have anyway. HP don't issue a lot of BIOS
> > updates - it is my understanding that they make a considerable effort to

do
> > it right the first time. My HP notebook is three years old now and there

has
> > been one single update that I wanted, in that time.
> >
> > If there are things you don't like about a HP machine, it is not likely

> > go away with an update - it is probably associated with the particular
> > philosophy by which HP build their products.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Carlos expressed precisely :

(Vista

> >> Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
> >> find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
> >> can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
> >> HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

Interview with Tony Bove Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-17-2005 09:51 PM
HEXUS.interview: Tony Riccardi, Mesh General Manager Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-27-2005 08:26 PM
Tony and his Cronies must GO! Scottie Computer Support 6 06-03-2004 11:18 PM
tony's prob ragz Computer Support 1 12-31-2003 03:14 PM
Canceling file or directory deletion in .NET. That's Right Tony. How Dare You Ask a Question About .NET in This Dictatorship? perseus C++ 0 08-12-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments