Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photography restrictions in London

Re: Photography restrictions in London

snapper@mailinator.com

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:04:42 +0200, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What restrictions are there for photography in public places in London?

Main thing is that you shouldn't be dressed as an Arab.

Chris H

In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>On 2008-06-25 22:53:06 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:04:42 +0200, Alfred Molon
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What restrictions are there for photography in public places in
>>>London?

>> Main thing is that you shouldn't be dressed as an Arab.

>Or take picture of other people's children.

You can do that.

Penis Kolada

Chris H wrote:
> In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writes
>> On 2008-06-25 22:53:06 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) said:

>>> Main thing is that you shouldn't be dressed as an Arab.

>> Or take picture of other people's children.

> You can do that.

You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building too,
but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.

Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched him
out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film. We both
got arrested, I got released, he, after a search of his home, got a
prison sentence. Nothing is new, just better publicised.

You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
are smart. On the other hand, I have seen kids who are real cuteys and
have asked the parent/guardian if I could photograph them simply because
they are so cute and have never been refused. Like Jimmy Durante, I like
little girls - but not in a nasty way (I have quite a few of my own
along with a cute wife). They can be fascinating to photograph,
particularly when they are precocious.

PK

Ray Fischer

Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Chris H wrote:
>> In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writes

>>> Or take picture of other people's children.

>> You can do that.

>You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building too,
>but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.
>
>Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched him
>out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film.

Remarkably stupid of you since that is a felony.

> We both
>got arrested, I got released,

You're very lucky.

>You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>are smart.

How special. Threats from a thug.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Penis Kolada

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chris H wrote:
>>> In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> writes

>>> You can do that.

>> You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building too,
>> but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.
>>
>> Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>> out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>> mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched him
>> out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film.

> Remarkably stupid of you since that is a felony.

No, it is only a misdemeanor when you are provoked.

>> We both
>> got arrested, I got released,

> You're very lucky.

No, I was within my rights. The Police accepted that. I was not in a
public place and had refused permission.

>> You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>> are smart.

> How special. Threats from a thug.

No, just from a parent.

PK

Bill

On 26 Jun 2008 07:50:58 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Chris H wrote:
>>> In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> writes

>>> You can do that.

>>You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building too,
>>but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.
>>
>>Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>>out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>>mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched him
>>out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film.

>Remarkably stupid of you since that is a felony.
>
>> We both
>>got arrested, I got released,

>You're very lucky.
>
>>You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>>are smart.

>How special. Threats from a thug.

His nom de plume or whatever says it all, Penis Kolada!!!!

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Penis Kolada
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>> In message <2008062523020116807-adm1@fastmailfm>, adm
>><(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> Or take picture of other people's children.

>> You can do that.

>You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building too,
>but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.

True

>Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>mall's kid's playground.

Then you are guilty of assault. And so far he is guilty of nothing.

> He refused to hand over the film,

He does not have to

> I punched him out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took
>the film.

Assault and theft. Damaging property (the film) you had and still have
no right to do any of that.

> We both got arrested,

Good.

> I got released,

I hope you were charged with assault though.

> he, after a search of his home, got a prison sentence.

What for?

>You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>are smart.

Define inappropriate. It is quite legal to take pictures of "people" in
a public place. Had you assaulted me in the way you describe I can
assure you nothing incriminating would have been found at my house (I
have nothing incriminating) and I would have preferred charges.

You were VERY lucky the person you assaulted was a pedophile.

>On the other hand, I have seen kids who are real cuteys and have asked
>the parent/guardian if I could photograph them simply because they are
>so cute and have never been refused.

I agree that is the correct way to do it . I always carry ID, the home
office letter, the UK photographers rights leaflet, a model release and
the contact details fore the news library I send photos to.

On the other had I have no interest in photographing children cute or
otherwise.

> Like Jimmy Durante, I like little girls - but not in a nasty way (I
>have quite a few of my own along with a cute wife). They can be
>fascinating to photograph, particularly when they are precocious.

Some times... I'm not into "cute"

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Penis Kolada
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> You can tie a rope around your neck and jump off a high building
>>>too, but in both cases the results are likely to be less than pleasant.
>>>
>>> Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a
>>>guy out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a
>>>shopping mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I
>>>him out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film.

>> Remarkably stupid of you since that is a felony.

>No, it is only a misdemeanor when you are provoked.

I suppose we would have to have seen the incident to know.

>>> We both got arrested, I got released,

>> You're very lucky.

>No, I was within my rights.

CRAP. Assault is still assault

>The Police accepted that.

They are often wrong.

>I was not in a public place and had refused permission.

YOU had refused permission but it is not up to you. It is up to the
owners of the place you were in,.

However I would have thought a pedophile would not have wanted to draw
attention and disappeared when you first accosted him

>>> You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if
>>>you are smart.

>> How special. Threats from a thug.

>No, just from a parent.

A thug.
You attacked first.

This is why a load of "responsible parents" in Plymouth/ Portsmouth(?)
attacked a paediatrician they reacted in a paranoid and illegal way.

Had the photographer NOT actually been a pedophile you may have had a
custodial sentence. Mob rule is something we don't need.

(And yes I do have children)

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil Ellwood
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:53:06 +1000, snapper wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:04:42 +0200, Alfred Molon
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What restrictions are there for photography in public places in London?

>> Main thing is that you shouldn't be dressed as an Arab.

>And a camera helps.

Not in the current paranoid climate... just a brown skin, a beard and a
turban. Camera is optional...

Ray Fischer

Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>>> out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>>> mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched him
>>> out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film.

>> Remarkably stupid of you since that is a felony.

>No, it is only a misdemeanor when you are provoked.

Taking pictures is not provation. Strong-arm robbery is a felony.

>>> We both
>>> got arrested, I got released,

>> You're very lucky.

>No, I was within my rights.

You have no right to commit robbery. You could have ended up DEAD.

> The Police accepted that.

The police are often stupid. You got lucky.

> I was not in a
>public place and had refused permission.

Yes, you were in a public place. Shapping malls count as such.

>>> You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>>> are smart.

>> How special. Threats from a thug.

>No, just from a parent.

Not all parents are thugs.