Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photography restrictions in London

Re: Photography restrictions in London

Chris H

In message <4864588b$0$17151$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> I was not in a
>>public place and had refused permission.

>Yes, you were in a public place. Shapping malls count as such.

A shopping mall is a private place but I would suggest that it is the
owners of the shopping mall which dictate the photography rule.

I know of a mall near me (Brum Bullring) that has no shopping signs.

Incidentally the photographer might have been employed by the mall to
take pictures of happy shoppers, cute kids and fluffy dogs etc for
advertising.

So assaulting the mall's photographer would have been a stupid thing to
do if you want to use the mall again.

BTW it was implied that the photographer in this case was a peado. Was
that actually the case?

I would have thought that he would not want to have drawn attention to
himself for the reasons suggested. What was he arrested for when he
searched his house?

Where did this take place (country ) and when?

David J Taylor

Chris H wrote:
[]
> I know of a mall near me (Brum Bullring) that has no shopping signs.

"No photography" signs, presumably?

<G>

David

Chris H

In message <DS19k.16619$(E-Mail Removed) >, David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
writes
>Chris H wrote:
>[]
>> I know of a mall near me (Brum Bullring) that has no shopping signs.

>"No photography" signs, presumably?
><G>
>David

Err yes.. Can you imagine "no shopping" signs in a mall?

Actually what I need is some one to go though the mall putting "no
shopping" signs over the "no photography" signs and then follow up to
take photos of the signs...

Anarchistic performance art... I'm regressing back to the 60's

The Kat

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:38:15 +0100, Chris H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A shopping mall is a private place

Bull.

> but I would suggest that it is the
>owners of the shopping mall which dictate the photography rule.

But even THEY can not confiscate YOUR property.

This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, The Kat
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:38:15 +0100, Chris H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>A shopping mall is a private place

>Bull.

No. It IS a private place just as any shop or office is. The *OWNERS*
of the shopping mall not members of the public in it can say yes or no
to photography.

As I mentioned Birmingham Bullring has "No photography" signs in it. I
am in Brum at the week end I must get some pictures of them

>> but I would suggest that it is the
>>owners of the shopping mall which dictate the photography rule.

>But even THEY can not confiscate YOUR property.

Correct. They can call the police who could.

However....... the photographer in question was not taking any
inappropriate pictures of the child. There is no proof as the idiot who
assaulted him destroyed the evidence.

If confronted by the police you do not (and they can not*) delete
pictures. Either there is no offence in which case you can keep them
OR they arrest you in which case they are evidence.

* There are situations in Official "Prohibited Places" where deleting
the pictures is the better option as it clearly (I have pictures of the
signs is illegal or some other very exceptional situations.

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Penis Kolada
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>
>Way before all this current fuss, back in the eighties, I punched a guy
>out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in a shopping
>mall's kid's playground. He refused to hand over the film, I punched
>him out and took it - didn't damage the camera, just took the film. We
>both got arrested, I got released, he, after a search of his home, got
>a prison sentence.

What was found at his home?
What was he charged with?
Which country was this?

>You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>are smart.

He didn't and you can't prove otherwise as you destroyed the photos

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Penis Kolada
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>> In message <4864588b$0$17151$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
>><(E-Mail Removed)> writes

The long version makes more sense. I can understand your actions. Might
have done similar myself in that situation

>> Where did this take place (country ) and when?

>Brisbane, Australia in 1988, we were there for the World Expo.
>
>PK

DubDriver

"Penis Kolada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I punched a guy out for taking photographs of my four year old daughter in
> a shopping mall's kid's playground.

Later you wrote "... taken a shot up her skirt ... sitting on the counter at
the checkout waiting for me to pay for our purchases". Why would the
checkout be situated in a kid's playground?

Later you wrote "I had left the country before any court case involving him
came up" and ", they refused to tell me, said that it was not public
information". How then do you know that ...

> after a search of his home, got a prison sentence.

> You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you are
> smart.

So to sum up, he "had been hanging around for a few days" in order to make
himself "extremely obvious" openly taking photographs of little girls in a
*busy* place to the point where he got himself involved with you, a "queue
of outraged women", mall security, the police and prison. That's either one
hell of a great story or I'd wonder how he'd managed not to have got caught
sooner!

Penis Kolada

DubDriver wrote:

> "Penis Kolada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> I punched a guy out for taking photographs of my four year old
>> daughter in a shopping mall's kid's playground.

> Later you wrote "... taken a shot up her skirt ... sitting on the
> counter at the checkout waiting for me to pay for our purchases". Why
> would the checkout be situated in a kid's playground?

I don't know how it is where you live, but kids play areas, child
minding centres etc., are not free in most places in my experience. You
have to pay for them as well as for any food or drink or electronic
entertainment the child has whilst a guest.

> Later you wrote "I had left the country before any court case involving
> him came up" and ", they refused to tell me, said that it was not public
> information". How then do you know that ...

Court cases are usually months after the arrest. They (the arresting
Police, not the courts) told me two days later, well before the Expo
finished and we left.

>> after a search of his home, got a prison sentence.

>> You *don't* show inappropriate interest in other people's kids if you
>> are smart.

> So to sum up, he "had been hanging around for a few days" in order to
> make himself "extremely obvious" openly taking photographs of little
> girls in a *busy* place to the point where he got himself involved with
> you, a "queue of outraged women", mall security, the police and prison.

No, he first had *me* become involved with him. His response to me and
his continuing to photograph my daughter in the way he did is what
outraged bystanders. Most of these bystanders were parents with children
in the Play centre. The girl at the checkout summoned security. I have
no idea who called the Police.

> That's either one hell of a great story or I'd wonder how he'd managed
> not to have got caught sooner!

I imagine that if it all happened now he would have been caught much
sooner. This was twenty years ago, not quite the same degree of
suspicion then of people with cameras. You might get remonstrated with
for taking photos but there was no automatic presumption of anything
nasty, just of bad manners. The girl at the checkout was uncomfortable
about the guy, but in 1988 he wasn't doing anything illegal, nor
sufficient to warrant official intervention. Nowadays they wouldn't
hesitate. I have a grandchild now (I told her that I wasn't old enough
to be a grandfather but she didn't listen )and it is even hard for a
parent or grandparent to get in to a child minding centre. Any adults
who enter the area have to have full photographic identification and a
known relationship to a child in the centre.

Back then, if I hadn't heard the camera and spotted what he was doing
nothing would have happened. If he had been open about taking photos,
had the camera to his eye rather than trying to hide the fact I'd have
thought little of it. My daughter was very cute and photogenic, others
had asked to photograph her in the past. This guy was different. And I'm
pushy and stubborn when it comes to my kids' welfare. My kids are my
life. Even my "Penis Kolada" nickname comes from one of them relaying a
drink order at a family gathering and demanding a "Penis Colada" for her
mother, who was going through a Pina Colada stage. When the laughter
subsided the nick had stuck as they all decided that I had the only
Penis - Colada or otherwise, allowed near my wife. Usually they shorten
it to PK. It was PC at first, but that caused too much confusion.

PK

tony cooper

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:54:19 +1000, Penis Kolada <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I don't know how it is where you live, but kids play areas, child
>minding centres etc., are not free in most places in my experience. You
>have to pay for them as well as for any food or drink or electronic
>entertainment the child has whilst a guest.

Not here. Many of the malls here have free play areas. These are not
the electronic game type areas, but the slides and
climbing-on-large-plastic-animals type. One parent can take a child
there while the other parent shops.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida